Does China approve of North Korea's nuke test?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:39:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Does China approve of North Korea's nuke test?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Does China approve of North Korea's nuke test?
Yes

No

Other (Explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Does China approve of North Korea's nuke test?  (Read 5834 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »

Also China's economy is not built for war at all.  It is completely export driven and people would starve if they fought Taiwan as the USA and other major trade partners would embargo and sanction them.

Bingo. It's boom time in China and the government would never risk that. The youth are complacent when it comes to communism because it is providing material gain. Any slowdown and they will get restless.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »

...I think the US should pull out of SKorea and Japan.  Those countries are rich enough to provide for their own security.

I totally agree! We should give them a timetable privately and pull out of the region. Japan should rearm and play a major role in Asia.

We will have to rewrite treaties; rearmament even in our favour could see Japan in breach of its conditions of surrender in 1945.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 04:26:15 PM »

...I think the US should pull out of SKorea and Japan.  Those countries are rich enough to provide for their own security.

I totally agree! We should give them a timetable privately and pull out of the region. Japan should rearm and play a major role in Asia.

We will have to rewrite treaties; rearmament even in our favour could see Japan in breach of its conditions of surrender in 1945.

Fine. Let's get on with it.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »

I think you would have to get the UK, France and the Russians on board (though I'm not sure who the signatories were) Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »

This is a huge slap in the face for China.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 04:43:36 PM »

I think you would have to get the UK, France and the Russians on board (though I'm not sure who the signatories were) Smiley

Somehow if the Japanese just voted to change their Constitution and began to rearm I doubt that they would really need anyone's blessing including the US. I am sure if Russia, France, China and the UK complained and went to the Security Council the result would be much the same as it is with Iran or North Korea. Nothing would come of it. I just think it is time the US finally acknowledged that World War II is over in Asia and stopped playing policeman. The nations there are fairly well balanced (North Korea being the obvious exception!) now and should be able to keep the peace without the US providing a tripwire for our involvement. And if they can't keep the peace, why do we want to get involved?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

I'm all for Japan rearming and the old allies getting down to allow her to do so (nukes and all IMO) but we do have legal technicalities that would have to be ironed out. After all East Germany was not allowed to unite with the West until the old allies signed an agreement to allow them to do so; the same awkward rules still apply.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 04:54:07 PM »

I'm all for Japan rearming and the old allies getting down to allow her to do so (nukes and all IMO) but we do have legal technicalities that would have to be ironed out. After all East Germany was not allowed to unite with the West until the old allies signed an agreement to allow them to do so; the same awkward rules still apply.

Like I said three of four frames ago, let's get on with it! Smiley
AN Y
Domenixos

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -4.78

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2006, 05:24:03 PM by AN Y »

No. China may be providing aid to North Korea, but that does not mean that the two countries like each other any better than China likes the United States. And as the top priority for China's leadership is economic growth, they would rather cuddle up to the U.S. and its allies than North Korea, which many Chinese regard as behind the times. Plus, there are always intrigues.

No, China wants to have total control in that region.

China would want neither North Korea nor Japan to break its growth into a hegemonic power. North Korea's nukes might "threaten the security and well-being" of the Chinese state.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 08:52:42 PM »

Don't forget Taiwan either.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 10:58:38 AM »

Definitely not.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 11:11:21 AM »

Actions speak louder than words.  If China, a nation that executes more people than all other nations combined, refuses sanctions, then we'll have our answer.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »

Actions speak louder than words.  If China, a nation that executes more people than all other nations combined, refuses sanctions, then we'll have our answer.

was this a fair statement?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 03:52:57 AM »

jmfcst, what does this issue have to do with Christianity? There must be some link or else you wouldn't care about it. The only one I can think of is that maybe you hate China for persecuting Christians.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 08:52:08 AM »

jmfcst, what does this issue have to do with Christianity? There must be some link or else you wouldn't care about it. The only one I can think of is that maybe you hate China for persecuting Christians.

Next time, wait at least until 5am to post.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

was this a fair statement?

Very much so!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6051704.stm
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »

yes.  the only reason they voted w/ the rest of the sec. cou. was to avoid confrontation b/c they know that 1 billion + NK vs. rest of world--the world still wins.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 03:18:55 PM »

No. China has something like $800 billion of US debt. A nuclear North Korea is not in their interests.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »

Whatever you say, but my answer is even more of a definite no than before.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 07:23:43 PM »

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20587473-2703,00.html
China is hinting at a regime change in North Korea.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »

Wouldn't that be lovely!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2006, 09:48:21 PM »

Wouldn't that be lovely!

Well, for the people of NK it likely would be in the long run no matter how it came about(be hard to make it worse), though how it would be for the rest of the region would depend on how the change went about.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 12:15:13 AM »

Right now North Korea is to China what an "emotionally disturbed" juvenile delinquant kid is to their parents. They don't wish they were stuck with them, but they basically are. China would love to see Kim gone and anyone sane running NK, it'd be better for them economically too. The problem is, the collapse of the North Korean regime would lead to a massive refugee crisis that would cause a huge headache for China, so they don't have much choice but to keep sending aid to keep propping up Kim. But they sure as hell don't want Kim causing trouble, which is what just happened.

North Korea has become a giant festering sore on the region, and it's bad news for all countries involved, nukes or not. Get rid of Kim and the nukes, and you still have a country left that's an economic basket case that's going to be a massive drain on the resources of everyone surrounding it. China, Japan and South Korea are all stuck between a rock and a hard place, they don't really have a good course of action to take.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 06:27:45 AM »

Very well said, BRTD.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »

Don't know why you all trust China when it is actively blinding U.S. satellites. 

NKorea's preparation for a 2nd nuke test doesn't seem like it is too concerned China will actually implement any stern sanctions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies