Clare Short Punishment and New constituency loses it's MP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:31:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Clare Short Punishment and New constituency loses it's MP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clare Short Punishment and New constituency loses it's MP  (Read 2039 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »

The following two stories have just broken on BBC News 24.

1) Clare Short MP (Lab, Birmingham, Ladywood) will be "informed of her dissent" by the Chief Whip after her statement before the Labour Party Conference that she would like to see a hung parliament at the next election. The Chief Whip Jacqui Smith (Lab, Redditch) said in a statement that this inferred that she would like to see some of her fellow Labour MP's defeated at the next election and this was against Labour Party rules. However, she will not have the Labour whip removed in punishment

2) John Grogan MP (Lab, Selby) has announced that he will not stand for the new Selby and Ainsty constituency at the next but might stand as the Labour candidate in another constituency (possibly York Outer) or far more interestingly "standing for a different party in the future".
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:13:27 PM »

Please remove that nanny-stater Short altogether!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:37:23 PM »

Ah Clare

I always think of the Dead Ringers sketch where she was shackled to a radiator in Westminster.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »

1) Clare Short MP (Lab, Birmingham, Ladywood) will be "informed of her dissent" by the Chief Whip after her statement before the Labour Party Conference that she would like to see a hung parliament at the next election.

She's being 'Pym-ed' Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:23:50 PM »

Please remove that nanny-stater Short altogether!

Just about everyone in the Party that I've spoken to wanted her to get far harsher treatment than the slap on the wrist she's just got.
I suspect that the leadership, panicked by the apparent rise of the Left in the Party (we even elected Walter Wolfgang to the NEC!), was afraid of making her a martyr.
That she has sod all credibility left on the Left is not something that seems to have occured to them. Oh well.

Re; Grogan... I've not read that he's considering running for another party; his letter to Selby CLP included the following:

"I remain as committed to the ideals and values of the Labour Party as on the day I started campaigning and am proud that a third-term Labour Government has been able to deliver so much for Selby constituency."

Btw, Grogan has been Labour's candidate in Selby since the mid '80's. He get's screwed by boundary changes; from what I remember, the area added to Selby is one of the most Tory parts of North Yorkshire. Goole should have been added instead IMO.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »

From what I know of him I wouldn't think he's at all likely to switch to anyone; I can't find anything (including anything said by him) that indicates that he might, and bearing in mind the content of his letter to the Selby CLP, I can't work out where the idea that he might do so has come from.

Odd.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:23:04 AM »

Breaking News from Sky News:

According to Sky sources, Clare Short has resigned the Labour whip and sit as the Independent Labour MP for Birmingham, Ladywood until the next election when she intends to stand down
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:25:43 AM »

Breaking News from Sky News:

According to Sky sources, Clare Short has resigned the Labour whip and sit as the Independent Labour MP for Birmingham, Ladywood until the next election when she intends to stand down

Pathetic
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 07:29:03 AM »

THANK GOD we've got rid of Clare Short. For the past three or four years she's been like the Labour Party's mad old granny in the attic.

Best bit of political news I've heard in ages. Hopefully the likes of Peter Kilfoyle, Glenda Jackson and various other trots and embittered ex-ministers will walk the political plank too, but that's probably too much to hope for.
Rural Radical
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 10:06:09 AM »

THANK GOD we've got rid of Clare Short. For the past three or four years she's been like the Labour Party's mad old granny in the attic.

Best bit of political news I've heard in ages. Hopefully the likes of Peter Kilfoyle, Glenda Jackson and various other trots and embittered ex-ministers will walk the political plank too, but that's probably too much to hope for.

I think your being a bit hard on Kilfoyle. Agree with you on Jackson though.

Glad to see Short out of the party, we should have chucked her out though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies