mississippi and massachusetts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:22:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  mississippi and massachusetts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: mississippi and massachusetts  (Read 2387 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:13:59 AM »

will they ever vote the same way in a presidential election again?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »

They *could* for a guy like McCain...but it would take a break down of party loyalty.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:18:25 AM »

yes. the same melodramatic question could have been asked in 1908-- with more conviction,too.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 10:19:19 AM »

they did vote the same for 3 elections in a row not too terribly long ago 1976-84.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:35:45 AM »

they did vote the same for 3 elections in a row not too terribly long ago 1976-84.

They did for a long time, during the Roosevelt-Truman eras.  That was the time when northern liberals were aligned de-facto with southern rejectionists.

1976 was the last gasp of that old political alignment, revived one last time by the southern support for Jimmy Carter for the superficial reason of his roots there.  Today, though, if Jimmy Carter ever ran again, he'd have his a&$ handed to him in the south.

1980 and 1984 were in an intermediate phase of the realignment, when Democrats had driven away a lot of their old support, but Republicans still held on to much of their old support, which would start becoming Democratic after the end of the Cold War.

Under the current political alignment, it's hard to imagine those two states voting the same.  But the one constant in life is change, and it is very likely that at some time in the future, when another political realignment takes place, these two states could once again find themselves on the same side politically.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 10:44:49 PM »

If Ray Mabus were to upset Barbour next year and then run for president in 2012 (during his first term in the 80's he was rumored to have presidential ambitions), it could happen.

That's the most plausible scenario I can think of.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »

when Harry wins the presidency Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 03:38:56 PM »

will they ever vote the same way in a presidential election again?

The word "ever" covers a long period of time (unless Jesus or that Imam beams down soon) so they probably will at least once until the world ends, Mitty.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »

I very much doubt it, unless there's a 'Reagan 84' type election where the R's sweep everything in sight.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:45:03 PM »

They *could* for a guy like McCain...but it would take a break down of party loyalty.

McCain wouldn't win Massachusetts. He's a crazy who is against abortion even in the case of rape or incest. He just plays a maverick on TV, he's no maverick. Feingold is the maverick Senator.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 05:52:20 PM »

McCain wouldn't win Massachusetts. He's a crazy who is against abortion even in the case of rape or incest. He just plays a maverick on TV, he's no maverick. Feingold is the maverick Senator.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Russell_Feingold.htm

What is so maverick like about him? He fits the mold of your basic northern liberal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 06:25:51 PM »

What is so maverick like about him? He fits the mold of your basic northern liberal.

He's on the losing side of a lot of 99-1 votes. His votes seem more principled than other liberals.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 09:03:25 PM »

He's on the losing side of a lot of 99-1 votes. His votes seem more principled than other liberals.

I fail to make the connection between being the odd man out and being principled. Why is it that by being on the losing end of a 99-1 vote can be counted as a positive? This would imply that even BARBARA BOXER voted on the side opposite of Feingold. Why is it that Feingold could be considered a "Maverick" rather than an obstructionist?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 09:12:13 PM »

I fail to make the connection between being the odd man out and being principled. Why is it that by being on the losing end of a 99-1 vote can be counted as a positive? This would imply that even BARBARA BOXER voted on the side opposite of Feingold. Why is it that Feingold could be considered a "Maverick" rather than an obstructionist?

How much obstruction could the loser of a 99-1 vote cause?

His filabusters would be clotured, his hostile amendments shot down...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 11:19:13 PM »

No, a McCain would definitely not cause this - in fact no normal political situation would cause MS and MA to vote together.

Only another sudden and severe economic collapse would do so.  In that case it would be easy to see starving Mississippians voting with starving Massachussets.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 12:55:13 AM »

1976 was the last gasp of that old political alignment, revived one last time by the southern support for Jimmy Carter for the superficial reason of his roots there.

Hmm, so much for your hatred of northern elitism towards the south. I guess that only applies when Democrats do it? Smiley

In all seriousness, I don't think it's fair to say the south was being superficial by voting for Carter, at least no more than to say they were voting for Bush for the superficial reason that he was from the south. In both cases, they voted for the candidate who they agreed with more. Ford wasn't very popular in 1976, and the south identified with Carter. Even in 1980 he did pretty well for a Democrat in the south, especially considering how poorly he did nationwide. This doesn't really show up easily on an electoral map since Reagan won so many southern states by narrow margins.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 05:44:24 AM »

It shows up on the county map:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 08:32:15 AM »

What shows up Al?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »

The map he linked to is for the 1980 Presidential Election. I believe he's referring to how well Carter did in the south even that year, despite losing by a large margin nationally.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 02:35:58 PM »

I'd vote for Russ Feingold in a heartbeat.  The man is trying hard to fill the spot that Paul Wellstone held, but that doesn't matter.  We need a lot more Paul Wellstones in congress.. not just because he was a good liberal, but because he was principled.  People could identify with him.. I think Russ Feingold could win the presidency, even against John McCain with enough oomph.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 04:27:01 PM »

a follow-up question would be:  if these two states vote the same in the near future, will it be for a democrat or a republican?
RJ
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »

I believe Mississippi has a sizable portion of Democratic politicians at the state level. I'd say Democrat myself especially if there's a candidate with an economic agenda.

By the way, I think Mark Warner could have carried both of these states against more Republican candidates than you might think.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 12:24:46 AM »

a follow-up question would be:  if these two states vote the same in the near future, will it be for a democrat or a republican?
If someone could inspire blacks to get off their asses and vote, Mississippi would be a swing state, thanks only to demographics, so I'm guessing Democratic.

Ray Mabus 2012 is the only possible (and that's a pretty unlikely scenario) that I can think of in the next few elections though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies