The case for and against Romney.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:52:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The case for and against Romney.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The case for and against Romney.  (Read 1227 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:19:53 AM »
« edited: October 14, 2006, 01:19:59 PM by Kevin »

It's obivous by now that MA Govenor Mitt Romney is going to be seeking the Presidency, I'm supporting him in his endever along with thousands of other Republicans around the Country. However he faces a very tough primary and general election heres the case for and agianst Mitt Romney.

The case for Mitt
-He is very smart
-He is dyamic
-He comes accross as a moderate
-He was a very sucessful CEO and organizer of the winter Oymlpics in Utah
-He would be great on domestic issues in my opinion due to his corperate experinice
-He comes accross as honest
-He has a knowlege of the issues
-I was watching him on C-SPAN the other night and it sounds like he has a plan set out about how he is going to govern the Country if elected.       

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »

The case against Romney

-He only severed one term as governor of MA
-He has a lack of foreign policy experince
-He is Mormon, I personally have nothing wrong with Mormons but some people might like the relgious right of the Republican party i.e. Falwell, Robertson,Bauer. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »

His bashing of Masschusetts is pathetic.
NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 07:38:39 PM »

Kevin, your sig is awesome. But, why the apostrophe after "2008"? And, you should get a better photo of Romney. The one you have is nice enough, but it's not at all one of the better ones of him.

If you fix those two things, I might steal your sig as a sign of solidarity!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »

Kevin, your sig is awesome. But, why the apostrophe after "2008"? And, you should get a better photo of Romney. The one you have is nice enough, but it's not at all one of the better ones of him.

I can almost guarantee that Kevin didn't actually make the image himself.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 09:09:44 PM »

I can almost guarantee that Kevin didn't actually make the image himself.
Your right I didn't I got it off MSN images.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »

The case against Romney

-He only severed one term as governor of MA
-He has a lack of foreign policy experince
-He is Mormon, I personally have nothing wrong with Mormons but some people might like the relgious right of the Republican party i.e. Falwell, Robertson,Bauer. 

The case against him is pretty weak, IMO.

His failure to run for re-election in Massachusetts could be an asset with Republican voters.  Massachusetts is the state Republicans love to hate.  Though it is admittedly not as good as being a proven vote-getter in a reelection effort.

Most presidents come to office with a lack of foreign policy experience, since most recent presidents have been governors first.

The Mormon issue is ridiculous, IMO.  I can't see any reason not to vote for a Mormon.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »

The Massachusetts flip-flopper would win only Utah and Idaho, and he'd have to fight for Idaho.  Romney is from MASSACHUSETTS!  As any right wing Republican knows, Massachusetts is a lawless and corrupt state where married gay couples lynch heterosexuals, drive-thru abortions are performed at every street corner, and everyone has wild, orgasmic sex in the middle of the street. 

Romney can talk about how great he's been as governor, but that would mean praising Massachusetts and the people in it, and that would mean admitting that his party was lying.

Instead, Romney is bad-mouthing his own state.  That means he's admitting that he's been an ineffective governor.  Thus, Romney is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  His chances would be much better if he were from any other state.

Romney's right-wing credentials are too questionable.  He was pro-choice before he was anti-choice.  So he'd never make it through the primaries.  Why would Republican primary voters want Romney when there will be much more genuine right-wingers from other states running?  Wouldn't they really rather have a nominee from Saudi Dakota?  Or Texas?  Or at least a battleground state to take a region out of play for the Democratic nominee?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 11:12:42 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2006, 11:15:33 PM by Winfield »

HamRadioRocks same vitriolic, bitter, and pathetic attack on Romney, time after time after time after time, is really sad.

Romney is far and away the best candidate out there for 2008, from either party.

Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 08:14:28 AM »

He's a great candidate, but his lack of experience will be a big negative during the election.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 08:39:48 AM »

He's a great candidate, but his lack of experience will be a big negative during the election.

Does he really have a lack of overall experience relative to the other candidates?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »

/quote]

Does he really have a lack of overall experience relative to the other candidates?
/quote]

No
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »

I think that Romney could be a very strong candidate.

Any Republican who can win in Massachusetts obviously has crossover appeal to Democrats, for starters. Granted, he only won one election, and I agree that his lack of experience would be a problem. He should've run for reelection this year (except for the inconvenient fact that he probably would've lost).

The question is whether the GOP base would accept him. I don't think that most of the religious right is ready to vote for a Massachusetts Mormon, but I guess we'll see.
NHPolitico

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 02:39:40 PM »

I think that Romney could be a very strong candidate.

Any Republican who can win in Massachusetts obviously has crossover appeal to Democrats, for starters. Granted, he only won one election, and I agree that his lack of experience would be a problem. He should've run for reelection this year (except for the inconvenient fact that he probably would've lost).

Mitt didn't just win there, he beat Shannon O'Brien, no slouch politically. She had already won a statewide election already (State Treasurer), which Romney had not done already. In fact, Shannon was the first woman to do so on her own. She was attractive. She had a great last name for state politics. She wasn't stupid. She hammered Romney as someone who couldn't be trusted to be pro choice (A pro choice Republican from Utah???)-- a bread and butter issue in the state. She had Hillary Clinton stumping for her. While Treasurer, she created one of the most popular government programs in the state-- Abandoned Properties Division's aggressive push to give money controlled by the state back to the people (or families) who really should have it. They now have a site findmassmoney.com that is public relations gold for current Treasurer Tim Cahill-- his campaign should be billed for the ads the state runs on the radio advertising the site. 

I never believed Mitt would pull that race off, even though O'Brien wasn't the best debater in the world and Mitt had slight leads in some polls.
NHPolitico

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »

It's obivous by now that MA Govenor Mitt Romney is going to be seeking the Presidency, I'm supporting him in his endever along with thousands of other Republicans around the Country. However he faces a very tough primary and general election heres the case for and agianst Mitt Romney.

The case for Mitt
-He is very smart
-He is dyamic
-He comes accross as a moderate
-He was a very sucessful CEO and organizer of the winter Oymlpics in Utah
-He would be great on domestic issues in my opinion due to his corperate experinice
-He comes accross as honest
-He has a knowlege of the issues
-I was watching him on C-SPAN the other night and it sounds like he has a plan set out about how he is going to govern the Country if elected.       

The only race Romney ran that I paid any attention to was his 2002 race and not his tilting at windmills race against Ted Kennedy in 1994.  He showed in 2002 why he is a cunning politician and a real threat to his primary and general election opponents in 2008. He had some bumps along the way early on to get his bearings.  He started off as a pretty boy who wouldn't attack Birmingham or O'Brien and who would be great at working with Democrats in office and didn't even want to have debates with O'Brien because he thought it would force him to not be "Mr. Nice Guy".

He then realized that the way to win the race was to kneecap O'Brien-- showing her to be inept and part of the corrupt culture in Boston-- and to go hard after the Democrats running things in the state House and Senate.  Voters loved seeing this beautiful man with his sleeves rolled up-- like he was about to clear brush-- so he could more easily wrestle with those entrenched interests running the legislature (he called them a gang, in fact-- and said O'Brien would be a part of the gang).  He used the debates to show O'Brien to be not clearly supportive of not raising taxes, requiring English be seriously taught to everyone in public schools, and generally going hard for the votes of Reagan Democrats in the state (all those Catholic Democrats).  He will run in 2008 as a "common-sense conservative," painting himself as the real heir to Reagan. He will be extremely tough to beat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies