MSNBC Breaking News: Security Council unanimously approves resolution on N. Kore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:08:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  MSNBC Breaking News: Security Council unanimously approves resolution on N. Kore
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was it the right move?
Yes

No (too strict)

No (not strict enough)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: MSNBC Breaking News: Security Council unanimously approves resolution on N. Kore  (Read 1991 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:11:06 PM »

Not strict enough.  I want military action.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 03:16:17 PM »

Can't see the resoultion, but it's probably a good move. 

I still don't think military intervention is a good idea with missiles aimed at South Korea.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »

My attitude is that while North Korea is a problem for the US, it is a bigger problem for Russia, China, South Korea and Japan.

I don't see why the US should have to take the lead on every problem.  The South Koreans live right next door, and have been invaded before by this insane regime.

I think it should be up to their judgment how to deal with this regime, because they'll bear the consequences of whatever policy is followed, good or bad.

If those nutcases shoot a missile at us, we should blow them off the map.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »

So in other words, you want North Korea to use their nukes.

Although actually they'd probably do far more damage with their conventional weapons aimed at Seoul.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 03:29:45 PM »

Yeah, we can't have military action against North Korea, not while we're bogged down in Iraq. In a post Cold War world, the United States does not have the capabilities to fight two wars anymore. Even something such as air strikes (aka a measured response) are risky.

I somewhat agree with Dazzleman. The United States should work closely with South Korea, China, and Russia to come to a resolution on this issue. North Korea isn't just our problem; let's exploit that fact in order to take them down.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »

Normally I'd say these sanctions didn't go far enough, but the last thing we need to do is encourage Bush to attack some other country. So I voted option 1, since we're dealing with 2 madmen here.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 03:33:48 PM »

You do realize military action means a war we can't fight? Or are you just brain dead?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »

Yeah, we can't have military action against North Korea, not while we're bogged down in Iraq. In a post Cold War world, the United States does not have the capabilities to fight two wars anymore. Even something such as air strikes (aka a measured response) are risky.

I somewhat agree with Dazzleman. The United States should work closely with South Korea, China, and Russia to come to a resolution on this issue. North Korea isn't just our problem; let's exploit that fact in order to take them down.

Well, in all fairness, our involvement in Iraq doesn't limit our ability to launch heavy strikes on North Korea, either nuclear or conventional.

It does, however, inhibit our ability to deal with their possible response.  Still, the brunt of it would fall on South Korea, and I think they should be in the driver's seat as far as policy is concerned.

This is one case where the US could show a better case to the world by allowing the people closest to the potential problem to set policy, since North Korea is not really a direct threat to the US.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 03:35:59 PM »

You do realize military action means a war we can't fight? Or are you just brain dead?

That's not necessarily true.  If there were a war there, the South Koreans would take the brunt of it, and they have a large standing army of high quality, so far as I know.

A decision for war is not just ours to make; others will bear the largest brunt of the consequences for whatever decision is made, both in terms of the fighting and the destruction the war would cause.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »

I'm using "we" as a collective here, meaning Japan, Korea, the US, China, etc. War is a) economically not viable as it will destabilize a region vital to the world economy as well as send oil through the roof if a conventional conflict begins; b) not militarilly viable for the United States to fight, as we don't have the naval vessels, not to mention ground forces, to deploy to fight (something we'd pretty much be forced to do if we start a war like Inks proposes we do); and c) not politically viable as it is a war of choice which will sink Bush further into the polls and ruin the GOP's chance for victory in 2008. For all three reasons I'm strongly opposed to a war.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »

I'm using "we" as a collective here, meaning Japan, Korea, the US, China, etc. War is a) economically not viable as it will destabilize a region vital to the world economy as well as send oil through the roof if a conventional conflict begins; b) not militarilly viable for the United States to fight, as we don't have the naval vessels, not to mention ground forces, to deploy to fight (something we'd pretty much be forced to do if we start a war like Inks proposes we do); and c) not politically viable as it is a war of choice which will sink Bush further into the polls and ruin the GOP's chance for victory in 2008. For all three reasons I'm strongly opposed to a war.

I generally agree, though I would think that a coalition of the US, South Korea, Russia, China and Japan ought to be able to easily beat North Korea, if it came down to it.

I don't support war at this time.  But I think we have to have a longer-range plan to get rid of that regime.  We have to make it collapse somehow.

It's a dangerous game.  We were incredibly lucky in the way the Soviets collapsed, that it didn't turn aggressive at the end, when it had nothing left to lose.  We may not have that same luck here.  But I don't think we can just keep kicking the can down the road, as we've been doing with this regime.

I think the Chinese and South Koreans are very ambivalent, at best, over the collapse of this government, because they will then have to deal with a huge refugee and humanitarian problem.  The burden that the former West Germany is carrying from when it absorbed East Germany will look like nothing next to what it would take to bring North Korea up to the level of South Korea economically.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 06:02:49 PM »

For the most part I think it was the right move. I hate to say it though but it may take starving North Korea to bring about a collapse non-miliatarily though, which comes with rather unfortunate ethical implications.

I generally agree, though I would think that a coalition of the US, South Korea, Russia, China and Japan ought to be able to easily beat North Korea, if it came down to it.

I think it could be done, but I wouldn't describe it as easy. It wouldn't be as easy as marching troops into North Korea. They've got over a million soldiers and a lot of guns. They've also built in a lot of tunnels and other defensive measures. Of course technologically they are vastly inferior, and they lack the resources(fuel, ect.) to use their air force and armor units to anywhere near full effect. The most likely course of action would be that our troops would bunker down in a defensive position around the border and wait while our air forces bomb the crap out of military facilities and defenses. It would likely still take months or even a year or so before ground troops could be moved in in relative safety - essentially we'd be practicing modern day siege warfare, and God only knows what the regime might do to stave off the end(soylent green comes to mind on the starvation issue, I wouldn't put it past them).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »

Although actually they'd probably do far more damage with their conventional weapons aimed at Seoul.

Actually, I want North Korea to know that if it attempts to use or sell their nukes, north Korea will be a parking lot.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 06:35:58 PM »

Actually, I want North Korea to know that if it attempts to use or sell their nukes, north Korea will be a parking lot.

bingo
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 06:52:02 PM »

I would have preferred the sanctions to be far tougher, but if this is the best that can be concocted, I'll go along with it.  It's better than nothing at all. 
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 09:06:28 AM »

They should have passed arms sanctions against the regime years ago.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 09:51:05 AM »

They should have passed arms sanctions against the regime years ago.

I agree.  That's the problem with relying on coalitions.  But in this situation, acting alone is usually not effective.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »

It is a sad reflection on the United States that we can't get our way without the cooperation of either China or Russia. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »

It is a sad reflection on the United States that we can't get our way without the cooperation of either China or Russia. 

I don't agree. 

Russia and China (as well as South Korea and Japan) ultimately have a higher stake in this situation because they're closer.  We're one nation, with about 6% of the world's population.  We should not expect to be able to single-handedly exert our will everywhere at the same time, nor should we assume responsibility for doing so.

We've gotten too used to the unilateralism of the early post-cold war era.  During the cold war, there were severe constraints on what we could do, and in a way, it's only healthy that some of those constraints would return.  This might allay the feeling of impotence in many countries, and help reduce their resentment towards us that comes from the feeling that we control their fate, and there's nothing they can do about it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 03:20:47 PM »

Nowhere did I say we had to attack.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 03:22:26 PM »

if you hadn't noticed, bush is up
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »

Nowhere did I say we had to attack.

WTF does "military action" mean, then? And I never specifically mentioned "attack" either; its implied. 
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »

Bush was up after the beginning of the Iraq War too. Where is he now?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies