Meet The Press: Minnesota Senate Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:07:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Meet The Press: Minnesota Senate Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meet The Press: Minnesota Senate Debate  (Read 1000 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »

Tonight's debate was particularly weak - I support Klobuchar and thought she did OK but both candidates seemed lacklustre in how they went about things.    I thought a lot of it was mudslinging but I did notice that Russert was particularly more tough on Kennedy. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:32:23 PM »

Klobuchar sounds like a pro Iraq, pro Patriot Act Republican (I guess listening to Tester so much lately spoiled me) and Kennedy is a complete joke.  I feel bad for Minnesota voters. Crap debate.
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:02:34 PM »

Kennedy must be one of the worst challengers of the cycle.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 10:06:20 PM »

Kennedy looked really bad as far as I could tell, while Klobuchar sounded both like a leader and someone with convictions. She's by far the better candidate.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »

Why did no one listen to me a year ago when I said Kennedy was an utterly horrid candidate? I remember people like Phil and soulty arguing about how strong he was.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »

ugh that was painful.

to be completely candid, neither of these candidates are senate material...at least not now, maybe in a few years.

i like kennedy.  i just think he may have decided to run 'too soon'.  hopefully this loss wont hurt his future too much.

klobuchar is fairly acceptable to me, in terms of her stances on the issues.  but, lord, she doesnt seem to have a real understanding of the issues.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 10:44:48 AM »

Why did the Democrats' have to settle for Klobuchar?  She is no doubt an honourable and popular public servant but there are obviously better choices.  I am still mystified as to why Mike Hatch ran for Governor instead of the Senate and why someone like Betty McCollum didn't run for Dayton's seat.  On a different topic, who thinks that if he had decided to stay in the race Dayton could have won again this time? 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »

Why did the Democrats' have to settle for Klobuchar?  She is no doubt an honourable and popular public servant but there are obviously better choices.  I am still mystified as to why Mike Hatch ran for Governor instead of the Senate and why someone like Betty McCollum didn't run for Dayton's seat.  On a different topic, who thinks that if he had decided to stay in the race Dayton could have won again this time? 

Hatch wants to be Governor, period, that's the whole goal of his political career. He's ran for it before, and if he loses he'll no doubt run again. McCollum would've beaten Kennedy no doubt now, but at the time I can see why people wouldn't see her as an electable candidate, there's a bit of a stigma at the reps from the 4th or 5th districts winning statewide. Since McCollum has pics of herself from the Million Mom March on her campaign site now, that'd be a big liability too. I don't think she has much interest in the Senate anyway, probably wants to more go the Sabo/Ramstad/Oberstar route in the House.

And yeah, I have no doubt Dayton would've won.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »

Hatch wants to be Governor, period, that's the whole goal of his political career. He's ran for it before, and if he loses he'll no doubt run again. McCollum would've beaten Kennedy no doubt now, but at the time I can see why people wouldn't see her as an electable candidate, there's a bit of a stigma at the reps from the 4th or 5th districts winning statewide. Since McCollum has pics of herself from the Million Mom March on her campaign site now, that'd be a big liability too. I don't think she has much interest in the Senate anyway, probably wants to more go the Sabo/Ramstad/Oberstar route in the House.

Cool - thank you for answering my questions.  If McCollum won't run in 2008 though who is going to run against Coleman?  He is vulerable isn't he? 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »

Well everyone mentions Al Franken but I hope he doesn't. Not just because of electability, but I just don't see him as Senate material. He's funny, but that's not a qualification for Senate.

Ciresi will probably give it a shot. I'm suprised he didn't jump in this year.

Judi Dutcher, Hatch's running mate might try it if she's not Lt. Gov. then. That'd be rather interesting since she was originally elected as a Republican and switched parties like Coleman did, two party switchers against each other.

I think State Senate Majority Whip Steve Kelley might try too. He ran for Governor against Hatch, lost, then jumped into the Attorney General's race after our scandal-ridden nominee dropped out at the 11th hour, won the endorsement but lost to Lori Swanson in the primary. Former Rep. Bill Luther might try too, he also jumped into the AG race.
Conan
conan

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »

Well everyone mentions Al Franken but I hope he doesn't. Not just because of electability, but I just don't see him as Senate material. He's funny, but that's not a qualification for Senate.

Ciresi will probably give it a shot. I'm suprised he didn't jump in this year.

Judi Dutcher, Hatch's running mate might try it if she's not Lt. Gov. then. That'd be rather interesting since she was originally elected as a Republican and switched parties like Coleman did, two party switchers against each other.

I think State Senate Majority Whip Steve Kelley might try too. He ran for Governor against Hatch, lost, then jumped into the Attorney General's race after our scandal-ridden nominee dropped out at the 11th hour, won the endorsement but lost to Lori Swanson in the primary. Former Rep. Bill Luther might try too, he also jumped into the AG race.
Al Franken really has a grasp on the issues. Probably even more then Klobuchar does. He's certainly electable too. Compared to many of the others in the Senate, hes overly qualified and he wont be a lame duck either just being another vote. He'd be fighting for Minnesotans and all Americans up close and personal.
Rococo4

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »

looking back, Dayton would have been at least even to win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies