NJ Senate Newspaper Endorsements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:55:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ Senate Newspaper Endorsements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NJ Senate Newspaper Endorsements  (Read 2453 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »

The Philadelphia Inquirer endorsed Sen. Menendez today. This will be the official endorsement page for NJ Senate so we do not have to make a thread for every endorsement.
Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:26 PM »

The New York Times was highly critical of Menendez's appointment to the Senate, so I expect a non-endorsment by them. I can't see them endorsing either of the candidates.
I was thinking about how its such a tough choice for all the newspapers. I think Menendez will get the NY Times Endorsement though.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »

The New York Times was highly critical of Menendez's appointment to the Senate, so I expect a non-endorsment by them. I can't see them endorsing either of the candidates.

The NYT did endorse Bob Franks over Jon Corzine in 2000.  It's not as knee-jerk Democratic as many think.  It could go either way, or they might take a pass.

I'll bet that the Newark paper (Star Ledger?) endorses Kean.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »

The NYT did endorse Bob Franks over Jon Corzine in 2000.  It's not as knee-jerk Democratic as many think.  It could go either way, or they might take a pass.

I'll bet that the Newark paper (Star Ledger?) endorses Kean.
I wouldnt be so sure about anything.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:54:03 PM »

Bergen Record should go Kean, I would be surprised if they didn't, but newspaper endorsements mean next to nothing
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:58:59 PM »

Bergen Record should go Kean, I would be surprised if they didn't, but newspaper endorsements mean next to nothing

Bergen County is the key county in this race. If Kean wins Bergen, he has a strong chance of winning the state.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:03:06 PM »

Bergen County is the key county in this race. If Kean wins Bergen, he has a strong chance of winning the state.

Whether or not Kean wins the state (he should) he will, just as John Murphy did, carry Bergen County.  Any Republican taking at least 45-47% of the vote (which even Conan will acknowledge Kean will take) should take Bergen county.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:05:59 PM »

Whether or not Kean wins the state (he should) he will, just as John Murphy did, carry Bergen County.  Any Republican taking at least 45-47% of the vote (which even Conan will acknowledge Kean will take) should take Bergen county.

This next week's polls, which will include the GOP's 500k ad blitz, will give us all a clearer look at whether Menendez's recent poll surge is temporal, or part of a trend.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:34:40 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2006, 08:37:26 PM by conan »

I am not so sure who'll carry Bergen. Could be either one of them. I see so many Menendez signs all over and not one for Kean. You never know, and they are going dem and have sided with dems in the past elections.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »

Menendez Received the "Montclair Times" newspaper endorsement. I never read this newspaper and I think its just Montclairs hometown paper.
Conan
conan

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 08:50:56 PM »

Surprise. Murdoch endorses Kean Jr. NY Post.
Conan
conan

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 03:35:50 PM »

Sen. Menendez received the endorsement of the Burlington County Times.
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 08:33:39 PM »

Bump because of possible endorsements coming out in tomorrows newspaper unless they all pretty much wait until the last sunday.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 09:16:54 AM »

The Record endorsed Republican Todd Caliguire for County Exec, I wonder if this is any indication, but my paper has not arrived yet today, though my dad told me when he went to get something Kean and Menendez are on the front and it says something like "tough choice"
Conan
conan

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »

The Star Ledger has endorsed Sen Menendez for United States Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »

The Record has endorsed Menendez if you wanna call it that,

there endorsement basically said both guys suck but Kean has defined himself and that Menendez is there choice while holding their noise.  It also is like a one paragraph endorsement tucked away in the opinion section
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »

Let's also remember there last few endorsements have all lost, and I'm talking both parties
Conan
conan

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »

http://www.nj.com/opinion/ledger/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1162097047226220.xml&coll=1

Robert Menendez for U.S. Senate
Sunday, October 29, 2006
"         If half-truths and smears were the criteria for picking a candidate in the New Jersey election for a seat in the U.S. Senate, campaign ads would suffice. We believe, however, the decision should be based on a candidate's positions on vital issues, his ability to articulate those positions, and his experience.

For those very reasons, The Star-Ledger endorses Robert Menendez.

For example, Menendez, who served in the House of Representatives for 13 years be fore he was appointed to the Senate earlier this year, has consistently opposed the war in Iraq.

He voted against authorizing the invasion in October 2002 when most -- including scores of Democrats -- bought into the White House argument that removing Saddam Hussein was crucial to the war on terror.

His opponent, state Sen. Tom Kean Jr., has adopted President Bush's position that establishing a timetable for pulling out of Iraq would devastate any hope of implanting democracy in that region. Kean, apparently sensing the mood of the public, does acknowledge that many mistakes have been made.

Menendez advocates a well- planned, gradual redeployment of troops. He correctly notes that America's continued presence in Iraq is making the situation worse, providing insurgents from all factions with a common enemy. And he grasps the war's cost -- in both lives lost and the domestic social programs being shortchanged because of the billions the Iraq war demands.

Bush's tax cuts provide another reason for electing Me nendez. He opposes making them permanent; Kean embraces making them lasting.

We believe the nation simply can't afford to hand windfall tax breaks to the wealthy few while amassing a smothering debt for our children and grandchildren. And Menendez would wisely use a portion of the billions realized by eliminat ing those tax breaks to pay down debt and the balance to resuscitate programs choked by Bush's fiscal policies.

Kean backs the Bush tax cuts. He says they should be coupled with restraints on spending. That's unrealistic. The Republican-led Congress has shown it can't say no to more spending, and Kean isn't going to be the one to change that. So the deficit will continue to mount.

On immigration, Menendez accepts reality: 12 million illegal immigrants who make up a significant part of the nation's economy simply can't be rounded up and deported. Rather, he endorses the McCain-Kennedy legislation that would offer a route to citizenship for illegal immigrants, provided they undergo criminal background checks, pay back taxes and learn English.

Kean's immigration plan is fuzzy. He calls for tighter border security and tougher penalties on businesses that hire illegal immigrants. But he isn't clear about the 12 million already in this country illegally.

As for experience, Menen dez's tenure of nearly 14 years in Washington, where he compiled an impressive résumé, clearly overshadows Kean's five years in Trenton.

Although Menendez has served in the Senate for just the past 10 months, he spent 13 years in the House, deftly navigating the congressional system to become caucus chairman, the third-highest-ranking Democrat.

We endorse Menendez fully aware of the ethical questions that have plagued his candi dacy. The most serious is the U.S. attorney's probe into a rental deal he had with a Hud son County community organization that also received federal funds. Clearly, Menendez exhibited poor judgment in this case, but that's not reason enough to disqualify him.

We also question the quality of Kean's campaign. Most New Jerseyans hear the name "Kean" and think of the candi date's father, who is seen as a representative of integrity. The relentlessly ugly campaign waged by Kean Jr., however, doesn't reflect that reputation.

Moreover, Kean Jr. has spent little time in his political advertisements telling voters where he stands on the issues.

In addition to his positions on the issues and his experience, Menendez gets our support for another reason. New Jersey has emerged as a pivotal state in the struggle for control of the Senate. A Republican victory in New Jersey could tip the balance toward the GOP.

A continued Republican majority will result in two more years of a docile, incompetent Congress unwilling to challenge Bush's imperial presidency.

Democratic control of the Senate will send a signal that citizens want to reverse the destructive domestic policies of the past six years, to see the nation reclaim its position as a champion of democracy and to eliminate the "us-or-them" mentality that has led to continuous confrontations around the world.     "
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

Again, newspaper endorsement have had little effect on NJ races in the past
Conan
conan

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »

And you know this how? In such a close election where people dont know who to trust according to everything I have seen, a newspaper might look like something that could build confidence.
Conan
conan

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »

The Record has endorsed Sen. Menendez for US Senate.
Conan
conan

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:47 PM »

The Herald News has endorsed Sen. Menendez for US Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »

And you know this how? In such a close election where people dont know who to trust according to everything I have seen, a newspaper might look like something that could build confidence.

It worked so well for Forrester and Franks who had the endorsements of all the papers you have mentioned, and the Record endorsement just made people want to sit home, you should actually read it rather than blanketly saying they endorsed him

Big difference between nose-pinching endorsement and ringing endorsement
Conan
conan

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »

It worked so well for Forrester and Franks who had the endorsements of all the papers you have mentioned, and the Record endorsement just made people want to sit home, you should actually read it rather than blanketly saying they endorsed him

I cant even find the Records full endorsement. I read some excerpts in another article. Forrester and Franks didnt get all the endorsements. As I recall, Corzine got most of them for Governors race.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »

I cant even find the Records full endorsement. I read some excerpts in another article. Forrester and Franks didnt get all the endorsements. As I recall, Corzine got most of them for Governors race.

I was referring to the Senate race, but read the Record and then tell me if they have full support for Menendez or oh damn we have to pick someone
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies