Anti-region states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:54:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Anti-region states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-region states  (Read 10656 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: January 24, 2004, 12:47:33 PM »

OK, there are certain states that seem to often go against their regions, regardless of pary preferences, like New Hampshire in the Northeast, Tennessee in the South, or Montana in the West.

Why would that be?

About this and your other thread - some states are just very similar to one another, like the Dakotas or Wyoming and Idaho.  Or Kansas and Nebraska.  In fact I should've thought all the above mentioned pretty much vote alike.  As far as states that don't fit their region, New Hampshire is the prime example.  It is the last refuge of the freedom-minded New England Republican.  I think this may be partly because Republicans have actually fled there from high-tax Massachusetts.  I don't think Tennessee really falls outside its reagion politically, its just less extreme - more like Arkansas or Louisana than Mississipi and Kentucky.  As for Montana, when did it break outof the usual Republican pattern?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 01:24:33 PM »

Bush won Idaho and Wyoming 67-27, but Montana was "only" 58-33, so it seems a little different than other similar states. But it isn't that good an example, I agree, there is probably a better one somewhere.

Yeah Montana is a little less conservative than Idaho-Wyoming-Utah.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 02:03:14 PM »

The problem in Montana is the Missoula area.

Bush won Idaho and Wyoming 67-27, but Montana was "only" 58-33, so it seems a little different than other similar states. But it isn't that good an example, I agree, there is probably a better one somewhere.

Yeah Montana is a little less conservative than Idaho-Wyoming-Utah.  

Is that where you find Hollywood liberals buying ranch land like Robert Redford, etc.?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 10:12:11 AM »

Indiana is fairly unique, but then again it is very similar to western/central Ohio, Kentucky to the south, and IL outside Chicago.  In other words it is typical of broad swathes of the 'rustbelt', it just lacks other more democrat leaning aspects.  Btw I dislike the term rustbelt - I think its outdated as those industries are so outdated they rusted away years ago and have little relevance to the area today.  On the other hand has anyone else heard about the boom in the steel industry worldwide due to the enormous demand in China?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies