How badly will Bredesen beat Bryson?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How badly will Bredesen beat Bryson?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How badly will Bredesen beat Bryson?  (Read 4561 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2006, 04:24:04 PM »

The current standard for "Dem on Republican" beatings goes to the McWherter/Henry race.

McWherter won 89 of 95 counties.

Henry won Henderson County, McMinn County, Sevier County, Grainger County, Loudon County, and Meigs County.

Here's how bad it got for Henry:

That was a 60/36 win for McWherter, Bredesen is up 63/32 right now.

So, how big of a victory will Bredesen claim?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:46:39 PM »

He might actually win every county, which would be quite an accomplishment in Tennessee for a Democrat. My guess is a few of the eastern counties will still go for Bryson.

What's Bryson's home county? He might be able to pull through in that one.
RBH

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

Bryson lives in Franklin, which is in Williamson County.

Dwight Henry lived in Cookeville in Putnam County.

1986 was the election where Jimmy Quillen (Eastern Tennessee Congressman) refused to support Republican Winfield Dunn. I haven't checked to see how bad Dunn did in East Tennessee.

Here's the East/Middle/West split for 1990

East: 56/41 McWherter
Middle: 66/31 McWherter
West: 61/37 McWherter

East includes the following counties: ANDERSON, BLEDSOE, BLOUNT, BRADLEY, CAMPBELL, CARTER, CLAIBORNE, COCKE, CUMBERLAND, GRAINGER, GREENE, HAMBLEN, HAMILTON, HANCOCK, HAWKINS, JEFFERSON, JOHNSON, KNOX, LOUDON, MARION, MCMINN, MEIGS, MONROE, MORGAN, POLK, RHEA, ROANE, SCOTT, SEVIER, SULLIVAN, UNICOI, UNION, and WASHINGTON

Middle includes the following counties: BEDFORD, CANNON, CHEATHAM, CLAY, COFFEE, DAVIDSON, DECATUR, DICKSON, FENTRESS, GILES, GRUNDY, HICKMAN, HOUSTON, HUMPHREYS, JACKSON, LAWRENCE, LEWIS, LINCOLN, MACON, MARSHALL, MAURY, MONTGOMERY, MOORE, OVERTON, PICKETT, PUTNAM, ROBERTSON, RUTHERFORD, SEQUATCHIE, SMITH, STEWART, SUMNER, TROUSDALE, VAN BUREN, WARREN, WAYNE, WHITE, WILLIAMSON, and WILSON

West includes the following counties: BENTON, CARROLL, CHESTER, CROCKETT, DE KALB, DYER, FAYETTE, FRANKLIN, GIBSON, HARDEMAN, HARDIN, HAYWOOD, HENDERSON, HENRY, LAKE, LAUDERDALE, MADISON, MCNAIRY, OBION, PERRY, SHELBY, TIPTON, and WEAKLEY

Here's the splits for the last Bredesen poll on SurveyUSA:

60/34 in the West, 68/30 in the Middle, 61/32 in the East
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:16:42 PM »

Why do you have him doing badly in Shelby County?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »

Bryson will almost certainly at least win Williamson County, then. It's his home county and Bush won it 72-27 in 2004. He might win only that one, though, based on how well Bredesen is running in East Tennessee.
RBH

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »

Some more E/M/W results

1986:
East- 51/49 Dunn
Middle- 58/42 McWherter
West- 57/43 McWherter

2002:
East- 53/46 Hilleary
Middle- 53/45 Bredesen
West- 54/44 Bredesen

Dunn got 47% in Shelby County. Henry lost 59/38 there.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »

65% max.

probably something like 61-38
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:25:11 AM »

Well, the votes are in:

It looks like Bredesen set a new record for Democrats, polling 69 percent and carrying every county.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 10:58:21 PM »

*sigh* 

Bryson did almost win Johnson County. Tongue

Its a shame that in an election where voters were supposedly throwing out corrupt officials, they missed one in the Governors chair in Tennessee.

God bless Jim Bryson for stepping up to the plate, for standing for truth.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 05:37:36 AM »

What case is there Bredesen is corrupt?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 01:32:47 PM »

The Bredesen administration rewarded Highway patrol troopers that donated to his campaign with promotions.  They also shredded documents relating to sexual harassment claims made against senior members of his staff.

http://www.bredesenbeartheresponsibility.com/

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 01:34:58 PM »

The Bredesen administration rewarded Highway patrol troopers that donated to his campaign with promotions.  They also shredded documents relating to sexual harassment claims made against senior members of his staff.

Is there really many incumbent Governors whose administrations hasn't had charges like these levelled against them?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

That... doesn't exactly look like the most unbiased website around.

I find it troubling that they don't provide any external links whatsoever, instead requiring readers to look it up themselves, which I would probably not be successful at doing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2006, 02:07:45 PM by Alcon »

I find it troubling that they don't provide any external links whatsoever, instead requiring readers to look it up themselves, which I would probably not be successful at doing.

And even when there are references, there are a lot of cases where I don't know why Bredesen should "bear" responsibility (an investigator shredding documents is his direct fault why?)

Nor only that, but the author doesn't even "bear" responsibility for his web site.  It's entirely anonymous.  A little research did make it clear that it's directly created by...gee...the Tennessee Republican Party.  There's a balanced source.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 02:05:33 PM »

It is a website from the Tennessee Republican Party.  Of course its biased...there aren't that many non-biased websites out there that pull together charges against candidates just for the hell of it.

A lot of the references are newspaper articles that usually disappear from their websites after a few days and afterwards require a subscription to an archival service.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »

And even when there are references, there are a lot of cases where I don't know why Bredesen should "bear" responsibility (an investigator shredding documents is his direct fault why?)

Well if Abu Ghraib is George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld's fault... then certainly the shredding of documents relating to serious charges should be Bredesen's fault too.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 12:27:44 AM »

Tom Ingram, Lamar Alexander's chief of staff and Bob Corker's campaign manager (and well-known as a Democrat) Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 12:33:12 AM »

Well if Abu Ghraib is George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld's fault... then certainly the shredding of documents relating to serious charges should be Bredesen's fault too.

Do you believe that Abu Gharib are George W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld's faults?  If not, then your argument kind of rings hollow.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 01:13:07 AM »

Don's hackery is pretty sad. He's the only person that would seriously attempt to back up an argument by citing a website paid for by the GOP.

Anyway, I stopped taking his "anti-corruption" stance seriously when he endorsed Conrad Burns.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 01:39:09 AM »

Don's hackery is pretty sad. He's the only person that would seriously attempt to back up an argument by citing a website paid for by the GOP.

That website just puts a bunch of hard news articles in one place.  Needless to say the Tennessean or the Knoxville News-Sentinel does not have an anti-Bredesen section of their paper's website.

Anyway, I stopped taking his "anti-corruption" stance seriously when he endorsed Conrad Burns.

I do hope you also criticized Democrats for supporting Bob Menendez.
I'm not a Burns fan, I would have gladly traded a Chafee or Talent victory for his sorry ass.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 01:56:05 AM »

Then, why do you support Burns, but not Bredesen, someone who arguably has much less significant corruption?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 02:00:34 AM »

Then, why do you support Burns, but not Bredesen, someone who arguably has much less significant corruption?

Because I'm a partisan hypocrite, like 80% of the posters here.  Fortunately you are in the remaining 20%.  But this isn't about me, its about Phil Bredesen... or should I say "Shredesen".

Burns got punished for what he did.  Bredesen gets an overwhelming victory and wasn't made to pay for his corruption or the thousands of Tennesseans that lost their health care coverage.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 02:00:44 AM »

I'm not a Burns fan, I would have gladly traded a Chafee or Talent victory for his sorry ass.

Okay, but you still endorsed him.

Don't you see the double-standard? When you refuse to support this Democrat or that Democrat because of how "corrupt" they are, then turn around and support Conrad Burns? It's slightly infuriating.

EDIT: I see that you just called yourself a "hypocrite." This is progress!
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 02:03:11 AM »

Okay, but you still endorsed him.

Don't you see the double-standard? When you refuse to support this Democrat or that Democrat because of how "corrupt" they are, then turn around and support Conrad Burns? It's slightly infuriating.

EDIT: I see that you just called yourself a "hypocrite." This is progress!

Like the Dems here who supported Menendez, I supported Burns because we needed his vote.  If his vote wasn't needed, he could fall off a cliff for all I care.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 02:37:24 AM »

So, in the end, corruption isn't a deciding factor for you- party affiliation is.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies