"Live-Blog" Event with AG Bob McDonnell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:13:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Live-Blog" Event with AG Bob McDonnell
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Live-Blog" Event with AG Bob McDonnell  (Read 3449 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:24:35 AM »

This might be only of interest to Virginian and I, but just in case others are interested:

"Bob McDonnell to "Live Blog" in Support of Senator George Allen"

Attorney General Bob McDonnell will take the 2006 Senate campaign into cyberspace tomorrow, October 17th at 6p.m, when he "Live Blogs" in support of Senator George Allen's re-election bid. This event will be held at the website: Allen's A-Team. (http://allens-a-team.com/) A "Live Blog" is essentially an interactive online Town Hall. Participants will type in their questions and submit them, and the Attorney General will answer them online during the hour long event.

The Attorney General will sign onto to the website at 6p.m. and take questions until 7. This "Live Blog" will be solely on the 2006 Senate campaign and Bob McDonnell's support for Senator George Allen. If you have a question for the Attorney General about the 2006 campaign you can go directly to the website, http://allens-a-team.com/, to submit it. By later this afternoon the website will have a section up dedicated to receiving questions for this event, and it will remain open until the event starts. Questions can also be submitted live during the event. Bob will get to as many questions as he can. This is a unique event in support of a great Virginian, George Allen, and we hope to see you online tomorrow night!

What: Attorney General Bob McDonnell "Live Blogs in Support of Senator George Allen

Where: Allen's A-Team Website: http://allens-a-team.com/

When: Tuesday October 17th 6-7p.m.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 09:15:25 AM »

Taliban Bob?

j/k, I remember hearing that line in 2005.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:03:02 PM »

Copy of the event:
-----------------------

We’d like to offer a big A-Team welcome to Virginia’s Attorney General, Bob McDonnell. The Attorney General will be answering questions tonight in support of Senator George Allen’s re-election bid.

This “Live Blog” will be solely on the 2006 Senate campaign and Bob McDonnell’s support for Senator George Allen. If you have a question for the Attorney General about the 2006 campaign, be sure to ask in the comment section below. We’ve received a bunch of questions already, but McDonnell will get to as many as he can within the next hour.

First question:

How are you tonight, Mr. Attorney General?

BM: I am doing great, just got back from The Youth Internet Safety Task Force in Virginia Beach, had a great meeting on an important issue. Also, Notre Dame is #8 in the BCS, so I’m feeling alright. Looking forward to a good conversation tonight about my good friend, and our great Senator, George Allen.

I’m a Virginia grad, so I don’t want to talk about college football. Thanks again for joining us from the McDonnell home. Let’s start with the first question that was submitted: Why are you supporting Allen?

George Allen has a prolific record of accomplishment as Governor and Senator. Virginians want political leaders who get results. As Governor George Allen abolished parole, reformed the juvenile justice system, dramatically revised the welfare system, enacted high standards of learning for our public schools, and numerous other improvements to Virginia’s government. As Senator he has been a visionary leader about the need for improved United States competitiveness in the global economy in producing more mathematicians, engineers, and other leaders. He’s been resolute in advocating strategy of fighting terrorism abroad and not on American soil, which has kept us safe here for 5 years. Finally he is a decent and honest human being that I have worked closely with for 15 years.

Next question: Why is Webb not capable of being a U.S. Senator? Why is Allen better?

As a former Reagan appointee as Secretary of the Navy I believe he is capable of being a Senator. However his demonstrated lack of knowledge on key issues would render him relatively ineffective in representing Virginia compared to George Allen. Further, he has vacillated on important topics from national security to values issues. This begs the question: what are his fundamental principles? Further, just a few years ago he endorsed George Allen for the Senate and he harshly criticized Bill Clinton. Now he holds fundraisers with Clinton and rallies with John Kerry. My first answer gets into why Allen is better, with over 20 years in elective office you know where George Allen stands.

We’re taking these questions mostly in the order they were submitted, but I know you want to answer as many as you can…and you want some tough ones, too. I think this one qualifies: does Sen. Allen have an issue with race?

Absolutely not. George Allen has a record of fairness and of promoting the interests of all Virginians when he was Governor. His significant new investments in the budget for historically black colleges and universities has earned him multiple high profile endorsements from people like Senator Benny Lambert. From being in close proximity to him as Governor and Senator I have heard only positive comments from him in advocacy of civil rights and minority business issues. While most elected officials say things inartfully from time to time (We are human) the fact is George Allen is a good, honest, decent public servant.

Next question: “I’d like to ask the Attorney General his opinion on a hot-button issue in the 2006 campaign. Webb, VA Democrats and the MoveOn crowd have tried to tie all Republicans, including Senator Allen, to the oil companies. Did your office investigate any claims of price-fixing (or gouging) at the pump last year in Virginia? Speaking to that and maybe gas prices being lower this fall could help set the record straight.”

Our office communicated and met with the United States Attorney General to determine whether there was any anti-trust or price-fixing laws of the state or nation being broken, but could not conclude that there was any evidence of collusion or other violations. We have prosecuted individual gas stations in Virginia for price-gouging in the wake of natural disasters, and recovered monies for Virginia citizens.

The market for petroleum is an unusual one, with 70% of the world’s supply controlled by OPEC. Many of these nations are political enemies of the United States. That’s why George Allen has been relentless as U.S. Senator preaching the gospel of energy independence from foreign sources and the need to aggressively pursue other forms of energy such as hydrogen, coal, and nuclear. George Allen’s 5-Point Comprehensive Energy Plan is available for all to see, while Jim Webb’s plan is either hidden somewhere, or has never been articulated by the candidate himself. His proponents appear to be focused on character assassination rather than the issues that Virginians care about.

Has Webb given any indication as to how he will help the Commonwealth of Virginia?

I’m certain as a public servant and a veteran Mr. Webb is well intentioned in his desire to help Virginia. But, without the experience in Virginia issues that George Allen has accumulated for 3 decades he cannot fully articulate the broad vision for the federal role in helping Virginians. For instance in the first debate Webb could not even describe where Craney Island is located, a project that is of enormous importance to the Port of Hampton Roads and the Virginia economy.

Okay, let’s shift gears just a bit. This is a question that we received from a couple of different people: “General McDonnell, can you please tell us how Jeanine is doing these days after returning from her service in Iraq? Will she be returning for another tour? Also, isn’t Webb’s son in Iraq?”

Thanks for asking about my brave 1st Lieutenant Daughter. She returned three weeks ago after a year in Baghdad as a signal platoon leader and is back at her home base at Fort Huachuca in Arizona. My wife Maureen and daughter Cailin went out to spend a week with her to welcome her home and move her into her apartment and help her celebrate her return to the good ole USA. She is likely to go back to Iraq next September. I appreciate the service of Jim Webb’s son, and the Webb family, as brave members of the United States military serving in combat. Only a combat veteran or a parent of a military person who has returned can fully understand Mr. Webb’s current concerns. My daughter also left just a few weeks before my election last year, so I know he is focused on the election yet personally engaged in the war in Iraq. We wish the Webb family the best as his son continues their tradition of military service.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:03:41 PM »

We just got a pretty good question in, and I thought I’d go ahead and ask because I want to hear the answer myself.  So here goes: “Thank you for taking the time to enter the Blogosphere and entertain questions concerning this very important race between Allen and Webb. There has been a lot of mudslinging in this campaign on both sides. In fact it seems that this campaign cycle is even worse than the past. Do think that it has hurt Allen to be involved in this type of politicking and what actual ISSUE truly separates Allen and Webb?”

George Allen did not create the mudslinging environment, national Democrats have come after him because of his profile as a leading Republican nominee in 2008. The issues that Virginians need to know about are the candidates views on spending, immigration, the War on Terror, homeland security, global competitiveness and taxation. To the degree that outside forces have distracted the debate from these core issues, it has rendered a disservice to the citizens of Virginia. I am hopeful that both candidates will focus intently on these issues in the last 3 weeks. As far as THE issue in this race? It is probably a difference in philosophy of the proper role for America as a leader in the world. George Allen supports America leading a coalition of free people against terrorists and extremists committed to striking a blow against freedom by attacking innocent civilians. George Allen believes in restoring America’s global leadership in technology, trade and engineering by incentivizing universities to train more scientists and mathematicians. I’ve not been able to discern a comparable global vision from Mr. Webb.

Time’s running down, so let’s try to squeeze some more questions in here. Here’s a good one:

“AG McDonnell, I am absolutely enthused by the proactive nature of your administration and strongly encourage you to keep up the good work. In a few short weeks, I am about to become a member of that Administration and am looking forward to working with you to make our Commonwealth even better. Anyway, as we near election day, I am asking you to offer some encouraging words that we can use to persuade “the undecideds” and “practical Democrats” that Senator Allen is clearly the better choice in this Senatorial race? Again, keep up the good work. ”

Welcome aboard, look forward to having you in the office. We only hire the best and the brightest, of which you are definitely one by the fact you were hired. As far as what to say to undecideds. The fact is George Allen has unshakable core principles and a record of results in government based on those principles. The best predictor of what someone will do in office is to look at what they have already done. The historic Allen administration reforms he completed as Governor in the mid 1990’s has clearly led (documented in numerous reports) to a reduction in violent crime, a sharp decline in the welfare rolls, higher standards of achievement in the schools, and a significant expansion in the economic well-being of our citizens. George Allen gets things done.

Let’s try at least one more question:

“As a long-serving elected official and someone who has extensive experience representing the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia, do you believe that prior legislative experience is critically important for a candidate seeking to represent the interests of Virginia in a deliberative legislative body as complex as the United States Senate?”

Understanding the process by which laws are made is a definite advantage in understanding how to enforce, and enact, them better. Further, the legislature is an excellent way to learn of the diverse and complex issues that face the managers of the state and federal government. George Allen’s decade of service in the House of Delegates and the Congress has equipped him very well to serve as Governor and Senator.

Well, looks like we’re out of time, unfortunately. Thanks for spending an hour with us, and thanks especially for not mentioning college football again after that first answer. 

So, any final comments, Mr. Attorney General?

I’m sure UVa will at least beat Carolina on Thursday, and nothing can be finer than beating Carolina. right Hoos? We appreciate the Hoos softening them up for Notre Dame in two weeks. Go Irish!

Thanks for the opportunity to go into the blogosphere again, I enjoy it every time. As this new media continues to emerge I look forward to other opportunities to speak to Virginia’s concerned citizens and leaders through the Internet. I encourage everyone to do everything they can to see to it that George Allen is re-elected on November 7th!

Thanks again, Mr. McDonnell, and obviously, I join you in calling for everyone to pitch in to help re-elect Sen. Allen in November.
poughies
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:34:58 PM »

and to think the difference in that race was like 300 votes?
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:50:35 PM »

Why on Earth are you posting the entire content of that blog chat here?

Does this look like RedState to you?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »

Why on Earth are you posting the entire content of that blog chat here?

Maybe because I felt like it.  Why, got a problem with it?  If so, take it up with Dave. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies