Nevada to vote on pot shops
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:03:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nevada to vote on pot shops
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nevada to vote on pot shops  (Read 4348 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- Gambling, prostitution, and now pot? Organizers of a Nevada ballot measure hope voters in a state where almost everything goes will go one better and legalize marijuana.

If it passes November 7, Nevada will be the first state to allow adults to possess up to an ounce of pot that they could buy at government-regulated marijuana shops.

The Committee to Regulate and Control Marijuana, which has pushed medical marijuana and decriminalization laws around the country, thinks Nevada -- with its embrace of certain vices and its streak of Western independence -- is a perfect venue.

In an editorial last spring, the rural Lahontan Valley News argued that gambling, Nevada's most powerful industry, caters to "visceral pleasures," and that it would be hypocritical to oppose the legalization of marijuana on moral grounds.

Proponents of the measure also argue that the legal system wastes time and money on low-level marijuana offenses, and that taxing and regulating pot would put drug dealers out of business while freeing law enforcement to focus on violent crime and more dangerous drugs such as methamphetamine.

"Put it into a tightly controlled and regulated environment. We think that makes a lot of sense," said Neal Levine, executive director of the committee.

Opponents, including law enforcement, the nation's drug czar, and civic and business groups, argue the measure would encourage the use of other drugs, and they question whether it will even prove to be a good source of tax revenue.

"The fact is, growing, distributing and warehousing marijuana will still be a federal offense," said Todd Raybuck, a Las Vegas police officer and spokesman for the Committee to Keep Nevada Respectable, which opposes the measure.

Question 7 allows people 21 and older to possess an ounce of marijuana in their homes -- the same amount allowed under Nevada's medical marijuana law. Currently, possession of an ounce or less is a misdemeanor punishable by a $600 fine.

Twelve states have decriminalized small amounts of marijuana -- that is, possession is punishable by a ticket and a fine -- and 11 allow its use for medical purposes. Possession of up to an ounce at home is legal in Alaska under a court ruling there, but the case is under appeal.

Colorado residents will vote next month on whether to legalize possession of up to an ounce of marijuana by those 21 and older, similar to an ordinance Denver voters approved last year.

But the Nevada measure goes further. It directs Nevada's Department of Taxation to set up procedures to license and regulate marijuana growers, distributors and retailers. At the same time, it doubles penalties for selling or giving pot to minors and for vehicular manslaughter while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

The legislation also imposes a $45-per-ounce excise tax, with some of the proceeds going toward the budget and alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse programs. An ounce of pot on the street costs upwards of $300, depending on the quality.

A 2002 study by researchers at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, estimated taxing and regulating marijuana would generate $28.6 million in revenue.

The Justice Department in Washington did not respond to calls and e-mails seeking comment. In June, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled people who smoke marijuana for medical reasons can be prosecuted under federal drug laws, and Raybuck said it is doubtful federal agents would tolerate commercial pot ventures in Nevada.

In 2002, Nevada voters overwhelmingly rejected a move to legalize up to three ounces of marijuana. The latest measure got onto the ballot after 86,000 people signed petitions.

A poll conducted in September for the Las Vegas Review-Journal found 51 percent of voters opposed Question 7, while 42 percent supported it and 7 percent were undecided.

The measure has found some surprising allies.

"Make no mistake, I don't think using marijuana is a wise choice for anyone," said the Rev. William C. Webb, a Baptist minister who joined dozens of other religious leaders in announcing their backing. But "if there has to be a market in marijuana, I'd rather it be regulated with sensible safeguards than run by violent gangs and dangerous drug dealers."

Link

On a personal note, although I have never smoked pot, this initiative best sums up my views on legalization of marijuana.  I think it should be legalized in small amounts, highly regulated, highly taxed, and the taxes should go towards drug prevention and awareness.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:51:11 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2006, 09:53:42 AM by Senator Brandon W »

Interesting.  Nevada never ceases to amaze me.  I support this.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:36:13 AM »

I strongly support this, though I wonder how long it will be before the 18-21 crowd starts complaining.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »

A government monopoly on pot?
Ridiculous. Its sale should be free.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »

Shouldn't be legal so I'd vote against it.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »

Well when this works out well expect other states to adopt it.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »

I support it but the Supreme Court has already nulified the states' rights to legalize marijuana so even if its not illegal under Nevada law it would still be illegal under federal law and users could still be arrested.

Also the high tax, $45 per ounce is questionable. Someone could probably grow the stuff for free in their back yard, but apparently they will have to buy it instead for a hefty price. Nevada is a state where mafia types can open legal business', so maybe this is more about expanding their "business" opportunities than it is about freedom.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2006, 06:56:46 PM by adam »

I would rather they not tax it into the ground, but it's a step in the right direction none-the-less.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »

If this passes, Nevada will continue to be the fastest growing state for years to come (as if it needed any help).
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

Latest poll shows it trailing 51-42, but that was a while ago. I really hope it passes. Itll be an important step in cleaning up our streets, and socially progressing as a nation.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:23:35 PM »

This just shows that the culture wars are going to slowly die down as the boomers start aging and leaving politics/the mortal coil. Neither the radicals nor the prudes will have won this round. It will be back to the slow progress of the 1950s and early 1960s(if you assume that era was devoid of cultural change explain the rise of rock music and the fact that birth control was developed then at all). Get ready for a return to the 50s but minus the prudery, sexism, racism and homophobia.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 11:02:14 PM »

This just shows that the culture wars are going to slowly die down as the boomers start aging and leaving politics/the mortal coil. Neither the radicals nor the prudes will have won this round. It will be back to the slow progress of the 1950s and early 1960s(if you assume that era was devoid of cultural change explain the rise of rock music and the fact that birth control was developed then at all). Get ready for a return to the 50s but minus the prudery, sexism, racism and homophobia.

Sounds good to me. The early 60s were great. Progress but with a respectful tone.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 11:17:52 PM »

Indeed. The 60s may have been great in the short term but they merely shortcircuited cultural progress by making the fundamentalsits awaken to change being real and rally social conservatism. IMO without the 60s we'd be significantly more socially lbieral.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies