Britain may sack teacher for refusing to remove veil
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Britain may sack teacher for refusing to remove veil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should she be sacked?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Britain may sack teacher for refusing to remove veil  (Read 3206 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 02:23:51 PM »

Afleitch, if they sack her for being hard to hear they should sack one of my teachers for being Asian because he has a horrible accent that's very hard to understand. Now, that wouldn't be good and neither would this.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »

Afleitch, if they sack her for being hard to hear they should sack one of my teachers for being Asian because he has a horrible accent that's very hard to understand. Now, that wouldn't be good and neither would this.

She could easily make her self heard by removing the facial part of the veil. Your Asian teachers accent is harder to rectify!

I do not support any moves to sack her as I've said before; but wearing a veil is impractical and unnecessary (in Islam a headscarf isn't required to be worn in the presence of children)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »

The answer is not to "sack" the teacher but give her a freaking microphone!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Straw is a bigot, or that Blair's a bigot, or that you're a bigot. However, there are bigots out there who will exploit this debate, and are.

But do you not agree that by wearing the veil, she was inadvertently disrupting the learning environment because her voice was muffled and could not project across the back of the classroom. Furthermore, the young children she taught could not look at her lips move, as someone rightly pointed out is a necessity for young children in order to learn to form certain vowel sounds.

But how do you know they can't hear her? I mean, that's one thing - I don't think anyone has actually asked the children she taught, and what they think of her. From personal experience, women vearing veils can be perfectly audible.

Besides, knowing your opinions on Islam, I'm inclined to think that's not the sole reason you think she should have been sacked. But I could be wrong, of course.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 05:38:58 AM »

For the record;

Sack her? No.Ask that she respect her pupils by removing the veil and allowing them to see and understand her? Then yes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies