Opebo (Associate Justice) Confirmation Hearing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:00:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Opebo (Associate Justice) Confirmation Hearing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Opebo (Associate Justice) Confirmation Hearing  (Read 5167 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 05:43:21 AM »

I strongly urge the Senate to confirm this outstanding nominee.

As do I.

Likewise.  (seriously)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 07:01:53 AM »

I thank the nominee for his responses, and hope he will not object to one or two quick follow-ups.

3. Does the President have the constitutional authority to fire the Game Moderator?

I have no problem with current precedent on this issue.

The only precedent on this matter, to my knowledge, was President Ebowed',s recent order firing the previous GM, EarlAW. No action arose from this. Just to clarify, is it your belief that should Earl have taken an action to the Court challenging the President's authority to fire him that you would have upheld the Presidential ruling?

4. How strictly should the prohibition on campaigning in the voting booth be enforced?

It should be enforced, but the details of implementation of any legislated policy are the purveiw of the executive, not the judicial branch.

Granted, but the Court has had to decide in times past on the validity of votes after an executive decision was made regarding campaigning. If I may, could I ask your opinions on the cases of ILP v DoFA and TD v. DoFA.

Thank you.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 07:14:51 AM »

The only precedent on this matter, to my knowledge, was President Ebowed',s recent order firing the previous GM, EarlAW.

It could be argued that the authority to do this, and hence the now-established precedent, was implied in the ruling Sam Spade vs. Ebowed as it gave the President authority to install a GM despite the lack of a constitutional requirement regarding the GM and how the position is filled.

I would tend to agree (I was not by asking the question the removal of Earl),  but the purpose of the question was, as with certain previous questions I've put to nominees, not so much to find a definitive answer, but to establish that the nominee will provide evidence of detached analysis of the question, i.e. evidence of suitability for the post sought.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 01:58:30 AM »

I thank the nominee for his responses, and hope he will not object to one or two quick follow-ups.

3. Does the President have the constitutional authority to fire the Game Moderator?

I have no problem with current precedent on this issue.

The only precedent on this matter, to my knowledge, was President Ebowed',s recent order firing the previous GM, EarlAW. No action arose from this. Just to clarify, is it your belief that should Earl have taken an action to the Court challenging the President's authority to fire him that you would have upheld the Presidential ruling?

Yes.  I think the fact that the position is a presidential appointment, not subject to confirmation by the Senate implies that the GM serves at the president's discretion.

4. How strictly should the prohibition on campaigning in the voting booth be enforced?

It should be enforced, but the details of implementation of any legislated policy are the purveiw of the executive, not the judicial branch.

Granted, but the Court has had to decide in times past on the validity of votes after an executive decision was made regarding campaigning. If I may, could I ask your opinions on the cases of ILP v DoFA and TD v. DoFA.

Thank you.
[/quote]

In both cases I would have decided in favour of the Department of Forum Affairs.  Both ballots contained what I would consider to be campaigning.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2006, 06:17:26 AM »

I thank the nominee for his repsonses. I have no further questions.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2006, 08:16:42 PM »

I hereby open the vote on the nominee. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

'Hawk'
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2006, 08:34:49 PM »

I urge my Senators to vote in favor of this nominee.  Mix up the game a little.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 12:43:37 AM »

Well my fellow Senators, I think in interest to the game:

Aye
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 08:30:11 PM »

Nay, I don't feel like screwing up sh**t and voting for a nominee that knows nothing about Atlasia.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »

Aye

While I have my concerns, had any other nominee answered my questions in the same manner I would likely have voted to confirm. I hope, should he be confirmed, that he take the role seriously and apply the law in a fair and impartial manner.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2006, 03:56:40 PM »

Hell, given the opportunity, the nominee would be doing his damdest to strike anything he considers "prudery" down because it runs counter to his subjective preferences

We can't have judicial activism on the bench, in any shape or form

'Hawk'

Could the Nominee please answer Senator Hawk? His concerns are similar to mine.

I regret any inconvenience to the Senators, but I did not see a question in Senator Hawks commentary.

Ah, perhaps I should have clarified. Not that you need to answer the question now that voting has begun, but: Are you willing to avoid judicial activism - which FTR can come from any quarter Wink - on the Court?
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »

Aye.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 10:27:28 AM »

Aye.

I have decided to vote in favor of the nominee.  Its more to keep people such as Opebo active in Atlasia.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »

Aye.

I have decided to vote in favor of the nominee.  Its more to keep people such as Opebo active in Atlasia.

Except he isn't active, somebody tells him to come out and vote and he does. You really never see him around any other time.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »

Aye.

Except he isn't active, somebody tells him to come out and vote and he does. You really never see him around any other time.
Thats the thing.  I hope by giving Opebo a government position, he might possibly pay attention to fantasy politics more and overall be more involved.  I know thats not always the case but Im optomistic.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »

Aye.

Thats the thing.  I hope by giving Opebo a government position, he might possibly pay attention to fantasy politics more and overall be more involved.  I know thats not always the case but Im optomistic.

Besides the fact that he doesn't know the constitution?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2006, 02:11:24 PM »

Aye
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »

Aye.

Besides the fact that he doesn't know the constitution?
I took that heavily into consideration.  He can always read it to gain insight into it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2006, 07:02:34 PM »

I have strong misgvings that the nominee's, how shall I put it, subjective preferences may bear too heavily on his rulings and I'm not for taking chances when it comes to the Supreme Court, therefore, I vote Nay

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2006, 07:03:36 PM »

With 6 Ayes, 2 Nays and 0 Abstentions, the Senate, hereby, confirms Opebo as Junior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court

'Hawk'
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »

Opebo will be to fantasy politics what John Bolton is to the UN.  Read that however you want, but either way I'm glad to see this.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2006, 08:00:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm not disappointed, just surprised.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2006, 10:09:31 PM »

I really think some of you guys take this just a little too seriously. I think Opebo will do fine, considering that we are just pretending after all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 09:50:32 AM »

Thank you senators.  Will there be an official announcement, or should I just assume I am now ensconced?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies