Government skeptical of threat against NFL stadiums
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:37:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the threat real?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Government skeptical of threat against NFL stadiums  (Read 839 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:42:16 PM »

At this point--w/ all of our situations, I say yes, but I'm not in intel.

Updated 10/18/2006 5:00 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this   

WASHINGTON (AP) — A website is claiming that seven NFL football stadiums will be hit with radiological dirty bombs this weekend, but the government on Wednesday expressed doubts about the threat.
The warning, posted Oct. 12, was part of an ongoing Internet conversation titled "New Attack on America Be Afraid." It mentioned NFL stadiums in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland, where games are scheduled for this weekend.

The Homeland Security Department alerted authorities and stadium owners in those cities, as well as the NFL, of the Web message but said the threat was being viewed "with strong skepticism." Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said there was no intelligence that indicated such an attack was imminent, and that the alert was "out of an abundance of caution."

"The department strongly encourages the public to continue to go about their plans, including attending events that involve large public gatherings such as football games," Knocke said.

The FBI also expressed doubt about the threat.

The nation's alert level remains at yellow, signaling an elevated risk of an attack. The threat level for airline flights is at orange, a higher level, where it has been since a foiled plot to bomb U.S.-bound commercial jets was revealed on Aug. 10.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:12:32 PM »

I highly doubt the threat is real. Having said that, I don't believe we should be taking any chances. Any threat of this magnitude should be met with at least a higher level of security and awareness.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:57 PM »

While I tend to believe that Al Qaeda is always trying to find ways to take shots at the US I don't at all believe that this threat is credible.  It was posted on a website that apparently is not Arabic language and not at all Islamic (let alone Islamic Fundamentalist).  When the person who posted it was questioned about how they knew about it they responded "I've told you too much already".

Sorry, sounds stupid to me.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 11:06:17 PM »

If this really was in the works, why would someone post it on a website? They wouldn't want to blow their cover.

If they had credible information and were trying to stop the attacks, they'd have gone straight to the police.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:31:24 AM »

Unsure, you can never know so you should take every threat seriously.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »

They can attack Oakland (no real loss).  Just leave the Meadowlands alone.  Tongue
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:36:44 AM »

They can attack Oakland (no real loss).  Just leave the Meadowlands alone.  Tongue

They can attack anywhere except Green Bay. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies