Can the Catholic Church sink any lower?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:06:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can the Catholic Church sink any lower?  (Read 1029 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »

A priest has admitted to fondling a teenaged Mark Foley, but says that it wasn't abuse because Foley enjoyed it. Comments?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »

Linkage?

If true, this continues to show the biggest of many flaws in the Catholic Church. LET. THEM. MARRY. Sex isnt immoral, get over yourselves.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »

A priest has admitted to fondling a teenaged Mark Foley, but says that it wasn't abuse because Foley enjoyed it. Comments?

Get a clue and change the title of this thread, bigot.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:35:46 PM »

Hell they made someone who fought for Hitler their God on Earth...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »

Hell they made someone who fought for Hitler their God on Earth...

Wow, I'm just about the weakest Catholic you'll ever find, but the sheer ignorance of this statement is astounding.

Tell me, exactly how did Joseph Ratzinger fight for Hitler?
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 07:21:43 PM »

He was a member of an anti-aircraft brigade.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 07:23:17 PM »

You can read the priest's comments here:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/19/foley.priest/index.html

His excuses are so pathetic that they're funny.  Examples:

---------
Mercieca, however, rejected the idea that he sexually abused Foley, saying, "See abuse, it's a bad word, you know, because abuse, you abuse someone against his will. But it involved just spontaneousness, you know?"

The priest also questioned the timing of Foley's allegations against him, suggesting the six-term congressman only recently became bothered by their relationship.

"Let's say it was 40 years ago, almost 40 years ago, so why bring this up at this late stage?" Mercieca asked. "Anyway, he will overcome it, with a psychiatrist you know. Mark is a very intelligent man."
"I would say that if I offended him, I am sorry, but to remember the good time we had together, you know?" he said. "And how really we enjoyed each other's company. And to let bygones be bygones. Don't keep dwelling on this thing, you know?"
----------

Then there's this:

----------
Mercieca recalled for the newspaper massaging Foley while the teen was naked, skinny-dipping with Foley at a secluded lake in Lake Worth and being naked in the same room with him on overnight trips, according to the Herald-Tribune.
----------

Sounds pretty "spontaneous" to me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

He was a member of an anti-aircraft brigade.

...to which he was drafted, and reportedly served extremely unenthusiastically.  The penalty for skipping the draft during WW2 in Germany was almost certain death.

Your argument is essentially one of calling Benedict XVI a former (or perhaps even current) Nazi.  And the ignorance of that would certainly be enough for you to lose any remaining credibility you might still have.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 08:48:11 PM »

Indeed.  If you were as old as I you'd remember that it was once the custom to kiss the pope's foot, but unfortunately the syphillis medieval popes often contracted as a result of unprotected sex with nasty medieval prostitutes led to such bone distortions in the foot that the practice had to be abandoned in favor of hand-kissing.  Or you'd remember the selling of pardons.  Or the pretense that the world was not spherical when pope Alexander divided the world between Spain and Portugal when he said everything west of an arbitrary meridian would be Spain's and everything east would be Portugal's.  And let's not even get started on the racial, religious, and moral superiority claimed by Europeans over the rest of the world.

Can the Church sink any lower than a simple acceptance of priests fondling a young man's genitalia from time to time?  Now, that's either sheer ignorance of two thousand years of Western Civilization (I blame the schools), or simply the bane of youthful innocence.  Well, memories are short.  You're young, though, so all is forgiven, my son.  Peace be with you.  In nominem Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti haes erit bodie nobis piscis.  Amen. 

Beyond that I'd say your thread title is a bit misleading.  Be careful:  don't blame the Church for the actions of a horny priest.  Blaming Rome for many of history's inequities and iniquities is fair, but don't blame them for this horny old fart's hard-on.  Also, don't blame that horny old fart for Foley's hard-on.

And for a very small price you can own a piece of cloth that I swear covered the face of Jesus in the tomb.  Really, it's True Shroud.  Get 'em while they're hot.   Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:08:58 PM »

A reasonable man.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 06:15:23 AM »

Believe me, as a Catholic I have seen the Church sink lower. (Threatening to ex-communicate those who reported abuse by priests whilst under their care)

But do remember, the Church is it's own body and this should reflect poorly on the Church, not on lay Catholics who I do not believe would ever condone such statements.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54:19 AM »

I as well as most Catholics believe when a priest abuses someone it is wrong. But it is a small fraction. I am thankful for the thousands of good priests.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »

I am thankful for the thousands of good priests.
I miss that bumper sticker now that I don't live in New Orleans anymore.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies