if the senate is 49-49-2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:16:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  if the senate is 49-49-2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: if the senate is 49-49-2  (Read 3695 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »

I am mad at Lieberman for campaigning with the GOP

Can't say I'd blame him, considering how he had been treated by his party before he bolted. 

Didn't most of the Democrats in the Senate support him in the primary?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 09:19:44 PM »

I want to keep Lieberman as a Democrat.  The people who want to kick him out are ungrateful little whiners.  If it weren't for him, Mitch McConnell would be Leader right now.  We need to recognize that, outside of foreign policy, Lieberman is essentially a liberal Democrat.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »

I am mad at Lieberman for campaigning with the GOP

Can't say I'd blame him, considering how he had been treated by his party before he bolted. 

Didn't most of the Democrats in the Senate support him in the primary?

I was referring mainly to the fact that he was rejected by Democratic primary voters in favor of Ned Lamont, primarily because of his support for the Iraq War. 

Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 12:38:36 AM »

I'd laugh if McCain wins and puts Lieberman in his cabinent, handing the GOP that CT senate seat.

What would be really funny is if the EV is a tie, the House elects Obama President, leaving his Senate seat vacant, and Liebermann's vote determines the Vice-President (48 Dems + Sanders = 49 vs. 49 Reps), and he votes for McCain's running mate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 01:34:03 AM »

I want to keep Lieberman as a Democrat.  The people who want to kick him out are ungrateful little whiners.  If it weren't for him, Mitch McConnell would be Leader right now.  We need to recognize that, outside of foreign policy, Lieberman is essentially a liberal Democrat.

If it weren't for him, we'd have real Democrat Ned Lamont in the Senate.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 01:35:35 AM »

I haven't used the word "pipsqueak" since probably about second grade but if I had to use it again I would use to to describe Ned Lamont.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 01:37:08 AM »

I haven't used the word "pipsqueak" since probably about second grade but if I had to use it again I would use to to describe Ned Lamont.

Better than the man whose first allegiance is to Israel, no?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 03:11:50 AM »

I'd laugh if McCain wins and puts Lieberman in his cabinent, handing the GOP that CT senate seat.

So the minority party gets a seat for 2 years and then they lose it. How earth shattering!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »

His first allegiance is not to Israel, it is to the United States.  People seem to forget that Lieberman, outside of foreign policy, votes consistently with the Democrats.  Enough of subjecting candidates to single issue litmus tests.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »

His first allegiance is not to Israel, it is to the United States.  People seem to forget that Lieberman, outside of foreign policy, votes consistently with the Democrats.  Enough of subjecting candidates to single issue litmus tests.

But foreign policy is enough for him to leave his party.

And your first two sentences had nothing to do with each other.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »

He didn't leave his party; his party kicked him out.

I know, but I didn't feel like hitting the enter key.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »

Yes, and others have accepted that. But not Joe Lieberman, oh no.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »

Lieberman ran as an Independent; there is nothing wrong with that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »

Of course there is. His party rejected him, and so he sabotaged it. Others have lost in the primary before and accepted it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 10:47:20 PM »

What would be really funny is if the EV is a tie, the House elects Obama President, leaving his Senate seat vacant, and Liebermann's vote determines the Vice-President (48 Dems + Sanders = 49 vs. 49 Reps), and he votes for McCain's running mate.

First off, it'll be the incoming 111th Congress not the current 110th that makes the vote if needed.

Second, unless we have a 50-50 tie in the Senate, the vote for Vice President will be taken well before either Obama or McCain resigns his Senate seat to take the Presidential oath. That said, it looks like the GOP will be fortunate to not lose any Senate seats this election.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »

So the minority party gets a seat for 2 years and then they lose it. How earth shattering!

Yes because any votes taken during that two year period won't matter...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 01:43:47 AM »

BRTD's right. Look how much the Dems did during their time in control after grilling the last Congress as the "do nothing Congress."
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 01:46:28 AM »

BRTD's right. Look how much the Dems did during their time in control after grilling the last Congress as the "do nothing Congress."

I find more humor in the fact that it would be a symbolic "fcuk you" to the Democratic Party from Lieberman.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 01:48:19 AM »

I find more humor in the fact that it would be a symbolic "fcuk you" to the Democratic Party from Lieberman.

Oh, I know. I totally agree and would love for it to happen. I was just joking around to prove a point that the Dems have done basically nothing during their time in power. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »

Of course there is. His party rejected him, and so he sabotaged it. Others have lost in the primary before and accepted it.

He still caucused with them, and gave them the majority.  He could have become a Republican, and would still be Chairman of Homeland Security.  Instead, he stayed with the Democrats.  He didn't sabotage them, he saved them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies