Democrats only
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:41:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Democrats only
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of the following would be the stronger challenger to John McCain?
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (NY)

Sen. Russ Feingold (WI)

Former VP Al Gore (TN)

Sen. John Kerry (MA)

Former Sen. John Edwards (NC)

Gov. Bill Richardson (NM)

Former Gen. Wesley Clark (AR)

Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)

Other (please specify)

None of the above

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Democrats only  (Read 2879 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 03:18:05 PM »

Just to respond to a couple points Chief Justice made...

I couldn't agree more about the Hillary factor.  I don't hate her at all.  I agree with her on most issues.  I find her engaging and intelligent.  I think she is possessed with genuine compassion for people.  That said, she would be hamstrung from the moment she took office.  The level of hatred aimed at her by the religious right would be unprecedented in this country.  Remember the 1995 Virginia Christian Coalition bumper stickers that read, "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald When you Need Him?"  It would only be worse the next time around.  That's not to say the far right won't hate other Democrats.  But Hillary is public enemy number one on their list.  She wouldn't be able to get anything done and I think Democrats know that.

As to Wes Clark never winning a war, he is surely no Eisenhower.  But he managed a very impressive military operation in the Balkans with few, if any, U.S. casualties.

As to Bill Richardson, what can I say?  I agree -- he's great.  I am just sad and sickened by the fact that most Presidential candidates are hurt by their physical appearance.  I'd love Barbara Mikulski as President but do you think she could win?  In 1860, Abraham Lincoln was dubbed "Prince of the Ugly Fellows" and he won.  But in the age of television, "handsome" is almost a prerequisite.  Which is why there is so much enthusiasm (sadly) for someone like Bayh or Edwards on the left or Mitt Romney and Mike Pence on the right.  McCain would be an exception -- and there are exceptions to the rule.  Perhaps Richardson would be one.  But I doubt it.  I wish it weren't so.  But it usually is.
NHPolitico

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »

As to Bill Richardson, what can I say?  I agree -- he's great.  I am just sad and sickened by the fact that most Presidential candidates are hurt by their physical appearance.  I'd love Barbara Mikulski as President but do you think she could win?  In 1860, Abraham Lincoln was dubbed "Prince of the Ugly Fellows" and he won.  But in the age of television, "handsome" is almost a prerequisite.  Which is why there is so much enthusiasm (sadly) for someone like Bayh or Edwards on the left or Mitt Romney and Mike Pence on the right.  McCain would be an exception -- and there are exceptions to the rule.  Perhaps Richardson would be one.  But I doubt it.  I wish it weren't so.  But it usually is.

Voters view being overweight as something that can be avoided if one has willpower and discipline and they want candidates who have willpower and discipline. Mike Huckabee actually gives truth to that idea.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 10:47:32 PM »

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I think Hillary could win...and I think she could be effective in office.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I think Hillary could win...and I think she could be effective in office.

Hillary most definitely could win, Fritz, and even against the old, overrated McCain.

However I would prefer Feingold, but of course I had to vote for Al Gore as he would have the best chance of winning.  People would welcome the chance to rectify their horrible error of the last 8 years.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »

Voters view being overweight as something that can be avoided if one has willpower and discipline and they want candidates who have willpower and discipline. Mike Huckabee actually gives truth to that idea.

Mike Huckabee deserves much credit and respect for his hard work.  For that matter, Rush Limbaugh too.  They both look great and, I am sure, feel better. 

That said, weight loss is not the simple matter of eating less and exercising more across the board.  There are variables that must be taken into account for each person.  A pastor friend of mine has done everything in his power...but can't shed the extra 30 pounds he carries.  He eats two small meals a day, walks two miles everyday, lifts weights and never snacks. 

But Richardson could be as skinny as Barack Obama and I am not sure he'd be tele-genic. In thinking over the elections since Kennedy-Nixon, the trend has been to nominate and elect candidates who are stereotypically handsome.  Okay, through the 60's and 70's, substance still tended to win over style.  But the bigger tv became, the greater the tendancy toward choosing the nicer looking guy.

Reagan beat Mondale...Bush beat Dukakis...Young Bill beat aging George...
Bill beat Bob...and Dubya beat Kerry.  (Okay, okay -- Alfred E Newman beat Lerch from the Addams family)

I realize there are holes in this.  Al Gore was always a pretty sharp looking guy.  But think about primaries too.  Bill Clinton was smart.  But Paul Tsongas was a lot smarter.  I'm not saying people get elected solely on looks.  But it sure helps.  And that's a damn shame. 
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 03:42:42 PM »

I couldn't agree more about the Hillary factor.  I don't hate her at all.  I agree with her on most issues.  I find her engaging and intelligent.  I think she is possessed with genuine compassion for people.

Well I don't believe that for a second. Nor do I believe that any politician gives a damn about the people or has "genuine compassion". They're in that position because they like power and fame or because they were too ugly to be actors. The people who actually care or have actual ideas are usually so unelectable that they never stand a chance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I completely agree with you. If the Democrats want to be competitive in 2008 they should not choose Hillary. Period.

Well having few US casualties in Kosovo isn't much to brag about. It was an air operation against a country with no air force. Very few American troops were on the ground in Kosovo, most ground forces were other NATO powers, and it was also just a protection mission not an actual invasion or nation-building exercise. In short form I could have been in Wesley Clark's position and had very few casualties, heck Dustin Hoffman's character from Rainman could have been in that position and done just as well.

You serious? Enthusiasm for Mike Pence? I haven't even heard of this guy. Is he some dud from Indiana who'll get like 500 votes in each primary?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies