Hillary leads McCain and Giuliani - CNN Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:35:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hillary leads McCain and Giuliani - CNN Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary leads McCain and Giuliani - CNN Poll  (Read 2856 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/20/poll.08/index.html

"   Asked if they preferred Hillary Rodham Clinton to McCain, respondents gave the Democratic New York senator and former first lady a 51 percent to 44 percent advantage over the Republican Senator from Arizona.  "

"   Remove "Rodham" and McCain had a 1 percentage point advantage, 48 percent to 47 percent.    "

"   Asked if they prefer Hillary Clinton or Giuliani, Clinton has a 4 percentage point advantage, 50 percent to 46 percent.    "

"      Add "Rodham" to the equation and the former first lady's advantage over the Republican former mayor drops to 1 percentage point, 48 percent to 47 percent.      "

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:56:13 PM »

I find that poll hard to believe. Then again, it probably was mostly taken in New York.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 06:57:14 PM »

Maybe McCain's spineless capitulation to the right is hurting him.  He'd still likely beat Clinton, but it'd be hilarious if he didn't and Hillary was in the white house for 4 years.

I find that poll hard to believe. Then again, it probably was mostly taken in New York.

There's no reason at all to believe that.
Conan
conan

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »

I found it hard to believe that George Bush even had a chance in 2004. It wasnt mostly taken in NY.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 07:03:49 PM »

Polls this early are worthless, as I expect Jfern will soon tell you.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 07:04:55 PM »

Polls this early are worthless, as I expect Jfern will soon tell you.

Sure, but it'll make the rightists sweat a little.  That's enough for me.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 09:42:23 PM »

I doubt the legitimacy of this poll.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 10:02:50 PM »

I doubt the legitimacy of this poll.
Too bad
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:38:04 PM »

What difference on earth would it make whether or not you give voters her middle name?  That makes no sense.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 11:58:38 PM »

She's doing much better than Kerry or Gore were 2 years out.

She's not at all my favorite candidate in the primary, but if Hillary can really win, who am I to argue?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 12:40:57 AM »

The only thing, is that McCain isn't leading in the polls for the nomination, Guiliani is and he is defeating her.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 12:53:16 AM »

The only thing, is that McCain isn't leading in the polls for the nomination, Guiliani is and he is defeating her.

Clinton is ahead of Guiliani in this poll.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:11:32 AM »

CNN had the same story earlier this year.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 01:32:53 AM »

Hillary beats him 50-46, and I think Giulani is too liberal to get the nomination.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 01:43:30 AM »

Republicans can only hope Democrats are led to believe Hillary can win. Well, she can, but not against Guiliani or probably any strong GOP candidate (she would beat a Frist, Brownback type).

FWIW, Marist has done 5 polls of these 2 matchups in the last year or so, including one fairly recently (late Sept.). Hillary trails in all 10. Opinion Dynamics has conducted the same number with those matchups in the past year, Hillary trails in all 10. Hotline has done 6 in the last year, McCain-Hillary only, Hillary trails in all 6. Cook/RT Strategies has done 3 with the McCain-Hillary matchup, Hillary trails in all 3. NBC/WSJ has done 2 of the same, Hillary trails in both. Zogby and Rasmussen and the Q all have shown the same thing in their polls.

If that makes Hillary the favorite, so be it. And regardless of where she is in the polls against McCain and Guiliani, there is no guarantee either will be the GOP nominee.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 02:18:32 AM »

Republicans can only hope Democrats are led to believe Hillary can win. Well, she can, but not against Guiliani or probably any strong GOP candidate (she would beat a Frist, Brownback type).

FWIW, Marist has done 5 polls of these 2 matchups in the last year or so, including one fairly recently (late Sept.). Hillary trails in all 10. Opinion Dynamics has conducted the same number with those matchups in the past year, Hillary trails in all 10. Hotline has done 6 in the last year, McCain-Hillary only, Hillary trails in all 6. Cook/RT Strategies has done 3 with the McCain-Hillary matchup, Hillary trails in all 3. NBC/WSJ has done 2 of the same, Hillary trails in both. Zogby and Rasmussen and the Q all have shown the same thing in their polls.

If that makes Hillary the favorite, so be it. And regardless of where she is in the polls against McCain and Guiliani, there is no guarantee either will be the GOP nominee.

McCain looks stronger than he is.
As for Giulani, it'd be hilarious if he got the nomination.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 02:22:52 AM »

McCain looks stronger than he is.
As for Giulani, it'd be hilarious if he got the nomination.

Hilarious for you maybe. Not for Hillary though.

I hate McCain but people actively interested in politics tend to assume everyone else will eventually come around to their way of thinking, i.e. Lamont in CT. But usually it doesn't work that way. McCain probably can't win the GOP primary but he would be a formidable general election candidate, certainly way above average.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 02:26:56 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2006, 02:29:43 AM by jfern »

I hate McCain but people actively interested in politics tend to assume everyone else will eventually come around to their way of thinking, i.e. Lamont in CT. But usually it doesn't work that way. McCain probably can't win the GOP primary but he would be a formidable general election candidate, certainly way above average.

I'm sure the Republican base wants a cross dressing, pro-partial birth abortion, pro gun control, gay friendly, adulterist on his 3rd marriage New Yawker. 
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 02:42:35 AM »

I'm sure the Republican base wants a cross dressing, pro-partial birth abortion, pro gun control, gay friendly, adulterist on his 3rd marriage New Yawker. 

Maybe Republicans are more pragmatic. One polling firm intentionally push-polled Guiliani and he still did very well among GOP voters (i.e. they basically said how liberal he was before asking the topline question). It's not really a secret that Guiliani is liberal.

That said, it would be pretty bizarre if Guiliani ran on an identical platform in a GOP primary as he did in a NYC Mayoral race. He definitely has some 'outs' to mitigate his prior record (i.e. federalism).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 03:19:38 AM »

I love this - one poll in one state which has Hillary being beaten by Guiliani and McCain - the reps are all over it "told you she can't win"  "Ice Queen" - then a nation-wide poll has her leading the golden boys of Republican Party and nothing but "I doubt this poll" "I think this is bunk "It's too early"

Very very funny.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 04:49:35 AM »

Maybe Republicans are more pragmatic. One polling firm intentionally push-polled Guiliani and he still did very well among GOP voters (i.e. they basically said how liberal he was before asking the topline question). It's not really a secret that Guiliani is liberal.

That said, it would be pretty bizarre if Giuliani ran on an identical platform in a GOP primary as he did in a NYC Mayoral race. He definitely has some 'outs' to mitigate his prior record (i.e. federalism).

Rudy winning the Republican nomination would either involve massive pandering to the conservatives by Rudy doing a 180 on various positions, or a massive shift if the Republican party away from the wingnut base.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 06:33:59 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2006, 07:13:17 AM by Quincy »

That is polling done by liberal CNN, here is a poll done by politics1 and both Guliani and McCain leads Hillary by plenty: http://www.pollingreport.com/2008.htm#misc 49-42 for Giuliani and 49-43 for McCain, you got to watch liberal pollsters doing polls. The CNN USA gallup polls also were very wrong in 2004.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »

Polls are fairly meaningles at this stage. I'm willing to take this with a pinch of salt.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »

Perhaps this poll is part of a vast Republican conspiracy to get Democrats to support Hillary so she can be slaughtered in 2008...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »

Ok - as far as I'm conerned this poll in Oct 2006 matters about as much as the Iowa poll.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies