Fox stem cell ad hits Maryland airwaves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:13:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Fox stem cell ad hits Maryland airwaves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fox stem cell ad hits Maryland airwaves  (Read 6718 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:30:59 AM »

Stem Cell ad
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:48:30 AM »

Still a misrepresentation of the facts.  Being one with relatives who have Parkinson's, I too would like to find a Holy Grail medical cure, especially if I too end up with the disease.  Steele is for stem cell research.  He just isn't for the taxpayers footing the bill for embryonic stem cell research.  Again, this boils down to a narrow-scope segment of the research.  Steele has not come out and said he is against all stem cell research, but that is how the ad tries to paint him, just like every other ad against people who are against the public funding of embryonic stem cell research.  I wish the proponents would be honest with public for once.  It's sad to see Fox stoop this low.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:07:13 AM »

Steele sure made it sound like he was against all stem cell research when he seemed to compare it to Nazi experiments.  That comment was ripe for exploitation, but I wondered if it would be well handled (explicitly mentioning the Holocaust in ads is usually a bad idea.)  Fox's testimonial does it perfectly.

I still can't see what Steele was trying to achieve by saying that.  MD is not only a rather liberal state culturally, but has a large biotech industry that is not happy with GOP restrictions on research that are seemingly the result of religious ideology.  Anyone who thinks Steele's comments were a positive is likely to vote for him anyway, and he probably inflamed a lot more people than he pleased.

So it's perfectly legit for Democrats to fight back against the Republican War On Science, and this is an effective salvo.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:52:10 AM »

Steele sure made it sound like he was against all stem cell research when he seemed to compare it to Nazi experiments.  That comment was ripe for exploitation, but I wondered if it would be well handled (explicitly mentioning the Holocaust in ads is usually a bad idea.)  Fox's testimonial does it perfectly.

I still can't see what Steele was trying to achieve by saying that.  MD is not only a rather liberal state culturally, but has a large biotech industry that is not happy with GOP restrictions on research that are seemingly the result of religious ideology.  Anyone who thinks Steele's comments were a positive is likely to vote for him anyway, and he probably inflamed a lot more people than he pleased.

So it's perfectly legit for Democrats to fight back against the Republican War On Science, and this is an effective salvo.

Well said Mike. All of which should, justly, confine Steele to the political dumper. It was a ridiculous and disturbing assertion on his part

Stem cell researchers are concerned with finding cures for illnesses, including neurological ones, and thus seek to enhance and/or proling the quality of human life; while Nazi experiments were of dubious value, at best, and downright heinous, at worst

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:54:34 AM »

Steele was talking about the destruction of innocent life in the name of science.  And just because one half of the population doesn't view embryos as life, it doesn't mean the other half has to agree.  This is what he was referring to.  So, many politicians have decided to err on the side of life and advocate that tax dollars are not spent on embryonic stem cell research.  That doesn't mean that the research itself cannot continue (and it is continuing).  With all the money that biotech researchers receive from the government for other forms of stem cell research, the researchers should be able to obtain private funding for a narrow scope of a field of study.  The government does not have to pay for it all.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 10:14:07 AM »

Cardin was already going to win, but this ad will just reassure his support.  The first thing out of my girlfriends mother's mouth when I walked through the door this morning was - 'Have you seen the Michael J Fox commercial?'

This ad coupled with Don King and Mike Tyson throwing their support behind Steele has pushed her over to Cardin.

What a powerful ad.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »

This ad coupled with Don King and Mike Tyson throwing their support behind Steele has pushed her over to Cardin.

Ha. Now how to do we convince Al Sharpton to become a Republican.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »

So that's Maryland and Missouri so far.  Where else is this ad being shown?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:53:21 PM »

So that's Maryland and Missouri so far.  Where else is this ad being shown?

I believe Wisconsin.  NJ maybe next according to the WaPo.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 12:56:44 PM »

Is Kean against stem cell research? That'd make no sense whatsoever since he's pro-choice.
Whacker77

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 01:21:46 PM »

I don't have a problem with Michael J. Fox promoting an issue or a candidate, but I don't like the way he's going about it.  I think it's over the top to purposefully refrain form using medication while filming these ads.  I don't doubt his sincerity, but the theatrics aren't needed.  Everyone with a descent memory knows that Fox is afflicted with Parkinson's Disease.  Pope John Paul II would never have refrained from use of his medication just to make a point.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 01:30:20 PM »

I don't have a problem with Michael J. Fox promoting an issue or a candidate, but I don't like the way he's going about it.  I think it's over the top to purposefully refrain form using medication while filming these ads.  I don't doubt his sincerity, but the theatrics aren't needed.  Everyone with a descent memory knows that Fox is afflicted with Parkinson's Disease.  Pope John Paul II would never have refrained from use of his medication just to make a point.

First, what difference does it make if he took his meds or not?  Second, do you have proof that he did not take his meds for the TV ad?  If not, Ill assume you're getting your talking points from Limbaugh because he's been spewing the same talking point all day.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 01:34:52 PM »

First, what difference does it make if he took his meds or not?  Second, do you have proof that he did not take his meds for the TV ad?  If not, Ill assume you're getting your talking points from Limbaugh because he's been spewing the same talking point all day.

Why on earth should Fox hide what he has? Most people on medication for Alzheimers can only subdue to twitching for short periods of the day; thats why he tends to film or record short scenes at certain times. In these shows he is not being himself, he is playing another character but in recordings like this- 100% Michael.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 01:35:54 PM »

Steele weakens Fox's ad with facts:

"SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT: Cardin Voted Against Stem Cell Research for Pure Political Gain"

TEMPLE HILLS, MD – Today, Michael Steele released the following statement setting the record straight on stem cell research:

Michael Steele said, “There is only one candidate in this race who voted against stem cell research and it’s Congressman Ben Cardin. Ben Cardin had a chance to support stem cell research that would not destroy human embryos, and he voted against it – not because of his beliefs on the issue, but as a transparent political stunt. Both Senators Barbara Mikulski and Paul Sarbanes voted for this legislation. Ben Cardin wanted to politicize the issue instead of getting something done, so he voted against it. Marylanders deserve better than Congressman Cardin’s continued Washington double-talk, mistruths and sheer political gamesmanship on an issue as important as stem cell research.”

On September 6, 2006, the Frederick News Post reported: “[Cardin] opposes suggestions that stem cell research is acceptable if the embryo isn't destroyed. (Liam Farrell, “Pursuing Change,” Frederick News Post, September 2, 2006)

Michael Steele added, “I am an enthusiastic supporter of cord blood, adult stem cell and embryonic stem cell research that does not destroy the embryo, and I fully support expanding innovations in technology that make it possible to treat and prevent disease without the willful destruction of human embryos.”

Cardin Voted AGAINST Expanded Research On Stem Cells That Do Not Destroy Embryos.

Alternate Stem Cell Research Methods – Passage. “Barton, R-Texas, motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill that would require the National Institutes of Health to conduct and support research on the isolation, derivation and production of pluripotent stem cells that do not destroy human embryos. It would require the Health and Human Services secretary to issue final guidelines for additional stem cell research, with priority for research with the greatest potential to yield benefits in the near future, within 90 days of the bill's enactment.” (S. 2754, CQ Vote #380: Motion rejected. July 18, 2006, Cardin voted Nay)

The Senate Voted Unanimously To Pass the Same Bill that Cardin voted AGAINST. Both Senators Mikulski and Sarbanes Voted In Favor Of The Bill.

Alternate Stem Cell Research Methods – Passage. Passage of the bill that would require the National Institutes of Health to conduct and support research to develop techniques for the isolation, derivation and production of pluripotent stem cells that do not destroy human embryos. It would require the Health and Human Services secretary to issue final guidelines for additional stem cell research, including a prioritization of research with the greatest potential to yield benefits in the near future, within 90 days of the bill's enactment.” (S. 2754, CQ Vote #205: July 18, 2006, Sarbanes voted Yea; Mikulski voted Yea)

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 01:44:32 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2006, 02:09:41 PM by nickshepDEM »

"SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT: Cardin Voted Against Stem Cell Research for Pure Political Gain"

TEMPLE HILLS, MD – Today, Michael Steele released the following statement setting the record straight on stem cell research:

Michael Steele said, “There is only one candidate in this race who voted against stem cell research and it’s Congressman Ben Cardin. Ben Cardin had a chance to support stem cell research that would not destroy human embryos, and he voted against it – not because of his beliefs on the issue, but as a transparent political stunt. Both Senators Barbara Mikulski and Paul Sarbanes voted for this legislation. Ben Cardin wanted to politicize the issue instead of getting something done, so he voted against it. Marylanders deserve better than Congressman Cardin’s continued Washington double-talk, mistruths and sheer political gamesmanship on an issue as important as stem cell research.”

On September 6, 2006, the Frederick News Post reported: “[Cardin] opposes suggestions that stem cell research is acceptable if the embryo isn't destroyed. (Liam Farrell, “Pursuing Change,” Frederick News Post, September 2, 2006)

Michael Steele added, “I am an enthusiastic supporter of cord blood, adult stem cell and embryonic stem cell research that does not destroy the embryo, and I fully support expanding innovations in technology that make it possible to treat and prevent disease without the willful destruction of human embryos.”

Cardin Voted AGAINST Expanded Research On Stem Cells That Do Not Destroy Embryos.

Alternate Stem Cell Research Methods – Passage. “Barton, R-Texas, motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill that would require the National Institutes of Health to conduct and support research on the isolation, derivation and production of pluripotent stem cells that do not destroy human embryos. It would require the Health and Human Services secretary to issue final guidelines for additional stem cell research, with priority for research with the greatest potential to yield benefits in the near future, within 90 days of the bill's enactment.” (S. 2754, CQ Vote #380: Motion rejected. July 18, 2006, Cardin voted Nay)

The Senate Voted Unanimously To Pass the Same Bill that Cardin voted AGAINST. Both Senators Mikulski and Sarbanes Voted In Favor Of The Bill.

Alternate Stem Cell Research Methods – Passage. Passage of the bill that would require the National Institutes of Health to conduct and support research to develop techniques for the isolation, derivation and production of pluripotent stem cells that do not destroy human embryos. It would require the Health and Human Services secretary to issue final guidelines for additional stem cell research, including a prioritization of research with the greatest potential to yield benefits in the near future, within 90 days of the bill's enactment.” (S. 2754, CQ Vote #205: July 18, 2006, Sarbanes voted Yea; Mikulski voted Yea)

lol, they're in full-blown panic mode.

S2754 was nothing more than a Santorum sponsored bill used by certain politicians to cover their asses on and spin HR 810.

Michael Steele Supports Bush's veto of HR 810.  He also likens Embryonic Stem Cell Research to Nazi experimentation.  The fact that he would even make such a comprasion proves that he's a total wingnut.

Cardin voted for HR 810 and also voted to override Bush's veto.

http://www.vote-smart.org/speech_detail.php?speech_id=192111&keyword=&phrase=&contain=
http://www.vote-smart.org/speech_detail.php?speech_id=192103&keyword=&phrase=&contain=

The choice on Stem Cell Research couldnt be any clearer.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2006, 02:07:51 PM by Senator-elect BRTD »

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 02:03:46 PM »

Steele was talking about the destruction of innocent life in the name of science

Whether Steele opposes embryonic stem cell research or federal funding for it, is not the point. The point is that Steele likening it to the Nazi scientific experiments is repugnant

There is a world of difference between scientists using embryos to seek out possible cures for highly debilitating and ultimately fatal neurological conditions, etc and Nazi experiments which were little more than acts of gratuitous violence on concentration camp inmates

I'll admit that embryonic stem cell research is not something I'm entirely comfortable with but, in the grand scheme of things, I see such research as, ultimately, benefiting wider humanity

Given Steele's comments, he deserves to be beaten-up, in a proverbial rather than a literal sense, for making them. Likening embryonic stem cell research with Nazi experiments is callous, unthoughtful, inappropriate and out of context

Dave
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 02:04:36 PM »

Never trust the "facts" produced by a political campaign, especially if they're skewed and/or incorrect, as Nick just explained.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 02:08:08 PM »

Never trust the "facts" produced by a political campaign, especially if they're skewed and/or incorrect, as Nick just explained.

So you should still not trust facts produced even when they're balanced and correct? Tongue

Then again, I don't think that anything "balanced and correct" has ever come from a political campaign.  The point of a political campaign is to have a politician win, nothing more.  As a result, they're going to hide everything they can negative about their candidate and present everything they can positive about their candidate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »

So you should still not trust facts produced even when they're balanced and correct? Tongue

Then again, I don't think that anything "balanced and correct" has ever come from a political campaign.  The point of a political campaign is to have a politician win, nothing more.  As a result, they're going to hide everything they can negative about their candidate and present everything they can positive about their candidate.

Yep, I don't really understand how "Steele's facts" are more "balanced and correct" than this ad by the Democratic campaign or vice versa. 

Maybe I'm just too cynical..  Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »

In case anyone accuses me of anything, the first thing to say is that it's sad to see Fox (or anyone else) in that sort of state.

It's still cynical emotional manipulation though. And as such it's a clever ad.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »

Yep, I don't really understand how "Steele's facts" are more "balanced and correct" than this ad by the Democratic campaign or vice versa. 

Maybe I'm just too cynical..  Smiley

It's not cynicism if it's justifiable suspicion.

As such, it's not possible to be cynical towards politicians. Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 03:22:28 PM »

Given Steele's comments, he deserves to be beaten-up, in a proverbial rather than a literal sense, for making them. Likening embryonic stem cell research with Nazi experiments is callous, unthoughtful, inappropriate and out of context

Fortunately, I know you're not a part of the group-think wing which believes it's ok to compare Bush to Hitler, but not ok to like human genetic engineering through the destruction of human embryos to the human genetic engineering performed under the Hitler's Germany.  With that said, Steele's comment isn't deserving of a mental lashing.  He is drawing a parallel to the hyprocracy people overlook when it comes to "playing god."  Destroying innocent life in the name of science cannot be morally wrong in the 1940s yet morally right in the 2000s.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 03:31:02 PM »

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 05:02:33 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2006, 05:04:14 PM by AuH2O »

I think Cardin's campaign made a mistake in deciding to spend all their efforts attacking Steele. Cardin has such an environmental advantage that the effectiveness of his campaign may not matter, but it seems totally contrary to logic. The only way Steele wins is by taking a large chunk of the black vote and doing decently with independents.

Cardin's fear-inducing ads (with blood red lettering and shifty cameras) run the risk of alienating black Democrats and independents [note: I'm not referring to the Fox ad here]. Cardin should have just ridden the Dem wave with positive ads about himself. Now, it could be that I'm not giving his campaign enough credit, because it's possible they felt a risk of anti-DC feeling (Cardin being a House member) helping Steele, the 'outsider' in the race.

Normally that is a big factor in elections. I just wonder if outsider/insider outweighs the possible backlash from potential Steele constituencies.

The Fox ad is probably a smarter approach because it appeals to independents and is less scare mongering in character.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies