Tigers effect on Granholm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:08:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tigers effect on Granholm
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If the Tigers win, what we be the effect on the election for Granholm?
+>5%

+2.5-5%

+<2.5%

0%

-<2.5%

-2.5-5%

->5%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Tigers effect on Granholm  (Read 796 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »

I say +<2.5%--around 1%.  The argument from somebody was that neutral voters will see the state as better b/c they're happier and that we won, so just think that the whole state is in a better state (no pun intended) and just keep who we have as our leader.

Curious as to what you think.  I think it will have some effect, but VERY minimal.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:59:28 AM »

I doubt that baseball (or any sport) has any kind of direct relevancy to politics.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »

Gah. Anyone dumb enough to actually vote for governor based on how sports teams are doing should have their voting rights revoked.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:21:07 PM »

But think about it.  If you're in a state where the state is purely in a bad state (condition) (no pun intended), and all of a sudden, something that hasn't happened in 24 years happens, you're going to view your state as better.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:29:57 PM »

Gah. Anyone dumb enough to actually vote for governor based on how sports teams are doing should have their voting rights revoked.

In that case, if the Redskins continue to struggle, maybe people will decide not to vote for George Allen.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

But think about it.  If you're in a state where the state is purely in a bad state (condition) (no pun intended), and all of a sudden, something that hasn't happened in 24 years happens, you're going to view your state as better.

Why would you immediately credit your governor with your sports team winning?  The fact that something good happened within your state does not mean that your executive is any better or worse at his or her job.

There were a little under 5 million voters in Michigan in 2004.  Assuming we have around 5 million in 2006, in order to have a 1% boost towards Granholm as a result of the Tigers winning, there would need to be 50,000 previously undecided or Republican-leaning voters who all jump up and exclaim, "HALLELUJAH!  THE TIGERS WON!  I SURE LOVE JENNIFER GRANHOLM!"

I... just can't see it happening.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:11:04 PM »

Bounces of this type do happen...but considering the Tigers are going to lose (and considering the rioting that will accompany any victory or defeat) there won't be one here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies