Bush jeers at challengers for 'measuring the drapes'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 02:11:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bush jeers at challengers for 'measuring the drapes'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush jeers at challengers for 'measuring the drapes'  (Read 778 times)
NHPolitico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:52:17 PM »

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hard to tell if this is bluster, and an attempt at bluffing or if he knows something we all don't.  The heads of the Democrats would explode if the GOP only lost 5 House seats and about 1-2 Senate seats on Election Night.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »

I think the best thing for Bush to do now is to stay on the offensive, but let the mass media keep salivating over prospects of Dems taking over both houses of Congress.  The constant footage of a possible Speaker Pelosi will make Republicans everywhere vomit and motivate them to the polls come November 7th.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:16:01 PM »

From the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apparently their strategy is shore-up-the-base. The problem with an all-base strategy is that you have to ultimately win over independents and moderates. In 2000 Bush did that with his "compassionate conservative" message, and in 2002 and 2004 appealed to Bush's response to 9/11. This year people are looking at Bush's actual record of ultra-conservative politics and his failed record in Iraq, and independents and moderates aren't going to go along with that. The key of course is whether they turn out to vote.

It's interesting how Bush said that he thought "Washington" had already decided the race (irony)... 2000, Bush said something very similiar, on election night when ABC, NBC and CBS had called Florida for Gore, reporters asked Bush why he thought things were not going so well, and he said something like "The networks have already called the election..." and then urged listeners to turn to CNN: "I'm watching CNN now," he said. I'll never forget that. I was watching CBS upstairs in my parents' bedroom, and after that I wondered what Bush went so I went downstairs to turn on CNN... and they had Florida colored in gray.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies