Are the Conservatives conservative? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:48:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Are the Conservatives conservative? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the Conservatives conservative?  (Read 4999 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: October 26, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »

They're not really anymore. Cameron's tories are to the left of Menzies' Libdems.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 11:45:29 AM »

They're not really anymore. Cameron's tories are to the left of Menzies' Libdems.

You have got to be kidding me.
Evidence: Menzies, very shortly after taking leadership, came forward supporting lowering the top income tax rates. Cameron says there is doubt weather there is a margin for lowering taxes. I rest my case.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

You have got to be kidding me.
Evidence: Menzies, very shortly after taking leadership, came forward supporting lowering the top income tax rates. Cameron says there is doubt weather there is a margin for lowering taxes. I rest my case.

Firstly, if you don't support tax cuts you are automatically not a Conservative and if you support them you automatically are? If so that is a very narrow definition of what it means to be Conservative.
No but it's a very strong indication, especially when the tax rate is as high as it is in the UK(not that Portugal is any better).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Raising the thereshold makes the rate flatter. I would need to know the specifics on the aviation tax, but the others are user fees and cunsumption taxes, which are always preferable to an income tax.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:26:07 PM »

So if a party decided to cut income tax but raise consumption taxes to the extent that the total tax burden is altogether higher, thats okay?

Depends on how higher. Of course, but you have not shown that hat would be the effect. I am merely stating that consumption taxes are better than income taxes.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:34:52 PM »

So if a party decided to cut income tax but raise consumption taxes to the extent that the total tax burden is altogether higher, thats okay?

Depends on how higher. Of course, but you have not shown that hat would be the effect. I am merely stating that consumption taxes are better than income taxes.

There are some who believe it would do so when costed, and indeed some within the Lib Dems themselves who strove to retain the high tax rate and and swung due to the consumption taxes.

I also believe consumption taxes to be faier, but I'm won't allow myself to be duped with a small cut in income tax and a hike in consumption tax from a party that, to be honest, doesn't need to do the sums because they will never achieve power Smiley

And yet, that does not change the fact that, with their current leaderships, the libdems are much more economically conservative than the tories.
Now if only they droped their anti-liberal europhilia...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:51:55 PM »

And yet, that does not change the fact that, with their current leaderships, the libdems are much more economically conservative than the tories.
Now if only they droped their anti-liberal europhilia...

But a  party is much more than it's leader. You cannot say the Lib Dems are more economically conservative than the Conservative Party when most Lib Dems MP's including most of the 2005 intake and the party membership are supportive of more extensive tax rises than even the Labour Party. MP Phil Willis said the new tax plan was a "a slippery slope towards more right-wing draconian policies".
Well, how mmany of the labour intake and MPs during these 3 cycles support collective ownership of the means of production?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 03:59:35 PM »

or is he just a marketing man who will show his true-blue right-wing colours once he's hoodwinked the electorate?

That would be awesome, but it's not gonna happen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies