Why was Liddy Dole put in charge of the NRSC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:42:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why was Liddy Dole put in charge of the NRSC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was Liddy Dole put in charge of the NRSC?  (Read 1361 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:35:51 PM »

I have complained about her before but now she has just pushed me too far. I watched about half of a segment on FOX News where she and Schumer were being interviewed by Chris Wallace. The woman is a total embarrassment. In her closing thirty seconds as to why GOP GOTV will be better than the Dems, she started off saying something about Harold Ford on gay marriage and a number of other things. Wallace interrupted her several times, pointing out where she was wrong yet she continues, as always, with that lovely, big smile....

Why couldn't we have gone with Coleman or any other sane person? She better never get another leadership position.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 06:38:21 PM »

I think because George Allen didn't want to do it anymore and he was up for re-election anyways.

Originally John Thune was supposed to run it in 2008, but he declined and John Ensign will be running it for that election cycle.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:41:59 PM »

Allen would have been allowed to do it? I thought that you really weren't allowed to run it if you were up for re-election regardless of how easy you think your race will be.

No Thune in 2008.  Sad   Oh well, Ensign seems ok (and by ok I mean someone who won't look like a total clown on national TV).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

Allen would have been allowed to do it? I thought that you really weren't allowed to run it if you were up for re-election regardless of how easy you think your race will be.

You're right, my bad.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:45:26 PM »

KBH or John Sununu would probably be fairly competent in that role for the next season.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »

KBH or John Sununu would probably be fairly competent in that role for the next season.

Sununu is up next time.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »

Remember the vote count of Republican Senate caucus members in the NRSC Chairman race? 28-27. Who said one vote doesn't make a difference.

What's even better for Democrats is that they have Chuck Schumer as the head of the DSCC.

Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 07:35:45 PM »

Sure blame her when its just your party. Nothing could have saved the GOP this year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 07:47:20 PM »

Remember the vote count of Republican Senate caucus members in the NRSC Chairman race? 28-27. Who said one vote doesn't make a difference.

What's even better for Democrats is that they have Chuck Schumer as the head of the DSCC.

No, I don't remember that. How do you know that? I wonder how Santorum voted...
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 07:49:38 PM »

No, I don't remember that. How do you know that? I wonder how Santorum voted...

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/1_1/breakingnews/7436-1.html
I have a feeling Santorum voted for Coleman.
Deano963

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 08:02:13 PM »

I'm looking forward to this as well. Schumer will be even better at the job next cycle ans will own whoever chairs the NRSC. Imagine the fundraising records he will set, he already broke them all this year.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »

Sununu is up next time.

Oh, that's right.  I thought he was elected in 2004.
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 08:15:56 PM »

Sununu is up next time.

Oh, that's right.  I thought he was elected in 2004.
Nice posters! I should be Jean Schmidt for Holloween.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 04:00:10 AM »

I thought you only got to serve one election term?  But I'm wrong - according to Wikipedia Schumer is the Chairman of the DSCC 2005-9 and Dole at the moment has no successor.  Surely there will just be a conference vote?  I wonder if Dole will retire in 2008 anyway, as she will be 72 and if the Democrats are in the majority there is no point her being there really. 
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 08:34:29 AM »

I don't think there is a really a requirement on term limits considering these are both individual party caucus positions. If Schumer is there again, its because hes been gerat at the job raising tons of cash unlike his predecessors.
Rococo4

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »

Hard to say if Coleman would have done better, but he wouldnt have done worse.  He would have for sure raised more money.  I think Ensign will do a good job in 2008, but I would have liked Thune to run the NRSC.
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

Hard to say if Coleman would have done better, but he wouldnt have done worse.  He would have for sure raised more money.  I think Ensign will do a good job in 2008, but I would have liked Thune to run the NRSC.
If the GOP was smart they should pick a state with rich people like Martinez or Huchison or Cornyn.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 01:01:29 AM »

If the GOP was smart they should pick a state with rich people like Martinez or Huchison or Cornyn.

This is a great point, actually.  A competent team player like Cornyn or Hutchison with a big money state would be a great choice.

Nothing against Ensign or Thune, but it is probably true that Schumer's ties to New York donors have helped him in his role at the DSCC.  Big states=Big bucks.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 03:09:13 AM »

excellent points^^^
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies