Diebold (again)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:05:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Diebold (again)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Diebold (again)  (Read 1277 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:20:32 AM »

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WNT/print?id=2596705

Cheryl Kagan was shocked when she opened her mail Wednesday morning.
Inside, she discovered three computer discs. With them was an anonymous letter saying the discs
contained the secret source code for vote-counting that could be used to alter the votes cast
through Maryland's new electronic voting machines.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 02:24:20 PM »

Why were the disks sent to her?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:25:32 PM »

Let's just move along to paper ballots and then focus on voting registration reform, shall we? Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 03:38:27 PM »

Well we'll see how everything goes this election.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »

There need to be paper receipts where people sign their name approving their vote.  Only election workers would see these.  The ballot doesn't need to be more secret than that.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »

Although I favor the move to electronic machines, there needs to be a paper trail that comes with them also.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 10:45:27 PM »

Just use the Minnesota system. Paper ballots, machine counted. A handful of precincts are selected for a random hand recount to verify accuracy. If there are errors, there's a full hand recount. Works much better than this paperless nonsense.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »

Although I favor the move to electronic machines, there needs to be a paper trail that comes with them also.

bada bing
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:21:13 PM »

Exactly. In theory electronic voting is clearly the best way to go, but there needs to be a safeguard to ensure that programmers don't rig the votes. The source code should absolutely have to be made public, which right now it isn't.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 11:54:32 PM »

Voting machines and mail balloting both make me very uncomfortable.  If we don't have poll voting by the time I can qualify, or if it's all-electronic, I'm going to take my ballot personally down to the county auditor's office on foot.

Exactly. In theory electronic voting is clearly the best way to go, but there needs to be a safeguard to ensure that programmers don't rig the votes. The source code should absolutely have to be made public, which right now it isn't.

Potentially a double-edged sword.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 12:01:50 AM »

As was demonstrated in this video, it is quite easy to install an undetectable virus into an electronic voting machine.  If this was done, you would have source code which worked perfectly fine, but this would not be the source code running on the machine, and it would be extremely difficult to detect this fact if not impossible.  Source code can also be very hard to read; just going through it does not guarantee that you'll find something amiss.

Personally, speaking as someone in fourth-year computer science, I do not think that electronic voting is at all a good idea.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 12:03:21 AM »

As I've mentioned before, I have a position of some respect in the computer industry field that I'm not going to talk about much...but the basic mantra is once you have access to a machine, you have the machine.

I do not like electronic voting either.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »

Pen and paper. Would you sign a cheque with a SIM-card?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »

As was demonstrated in this video, it is quite easy to install an undetectable virus into an electronic voting machine.  If this was done, you would have source code which worked perfectly fine, but this would not be the source code running on the machine, and it would be extremely difficult to detect this fact if not impossible.  Source code can also be very hard to read; just going through it does not guarantee that you'll find something amiss.

Personally, speaking as someone in fourth-year computer science, I do not think that electronic voting is at all a good idea.

Good point, that definitely makes the need for a receipt important. But yeah, there are a lot of problems with it; it'll probably never be foolproof. In theory it's the best system, but quite probably not in practice.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 10:34:22 AM »

I know I have said this before but... since we have to put up with campaigns which last years (in some cases) why do we need to know the result just a few hours after the polls close? Paper ballots are time consuming to count and all that but when you are done you have a good source document to recount. Paper ballots also can accommodate as many candidates and parties as qualify so there is no argument about getting tough on minor parties and independents to save space on a voting machine. We have to listen to candidates for weeks, months and years so why can't they wait hours or even days to obtain a fair result?
WAlib

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.87

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 02:19:44 PM »

Voting machines and mail balloting both make me very uncomfortable.  If we don't have poll voting by the time I can qualify, or if it's all-electronic, I'm going to take my ballot personally down to the county auditor's office on foot.

I always vote absentee ballot, but hand carry it to the auditor's office.
It's easier for me, I vote at home and when I have time and at least I know it got as far as the ballot box.

I'd be for electronic voting if it were, at least, as dependable as an ATM ... With (paper trail) reciept.

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 02:39:26 PM »

I voted with a paper ballot for the first time yesterday and it's a perfectly good system. So you spend a little bit longer filling out ovals. Big deal. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 02:46:50 PM »

Election fraud is going to happen in any system. Electronic voting should be fine so long as proper precautions are taken - paper receipts printed upon vote completion, then read by the voter and turned into the election officials would be one step. Open sourcing the code would also be helpful to prevent hacking.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies