Bush wants Rumsfeld, Cheney for rest of term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with him?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Bush wants Rumsfeld, Cheney for rest of term  (Read 1216 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:01:53 PM »

I say yes.

Updated 11/1/2006 5:26 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this   

By Ron Edmonds, AP

President Bush, left, said he values the advice of Vice President Dick Cheney, right. Bush credited Defense Scretary Donald Rumsfeld, rear, with managing conflicts in two countries while overhauling the military.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush said Wednesday he wants Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Vice President Dick Cheney to remain in his administration until the end of his presidency, extending a job guarantee to two of the most criticized members of his team.
Bush, in an interview, also said he was determined that sanctions imposed against North Korea must be applied even though Pyongyang has agreed to return to six-nation nuclear disarmament talks.

And Bush said he did not foresee a change in the immediate future in the number of U.S. troops in Iraq. He said that U.S. generals have assured him that "they've got what they can live with."

The president spoke in the Oval Office, seated in a wing chair in front of a table with a bowl of roses. Six days before midterm elections, Bush steered questions away from politics beyond saying he was confident that Republicans would defy the polls and hold control of the House and Senate. "I understand that the pundits have got the race over, but I don't believe it's over until everybody votes."

He refused to even say whether he could work effectively with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi or Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid if Democrats won either the House or Senate, or both.

ON DEADLINE: Your thoughts

Bush took the opportunity to take another poke at Sen. John Kerry, in political hot water for a remark that has been criticized as a slam on U.S. troops in Iraq. Kerry said it was a botched joke about Bush, not the troops.

"It didn't sound like a joke to me," the president said. "More importantly, it didn't sound like a joke to the troops."

Democrats and Republicans alike have called for Rumsfeld's resignation, arguing he has mishandled the war in Iraq where more than 2,800 members of the U.S. military have died since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003. Cheney has faced sharp criticism for his hardline views and is viewed favorably by only about a third of Americans in polls. Bush said that "both those men are doing fantastic jobs and I strongly support them."

He said he valued Cheney's advice and judgment. "The good thing about Vice President Cheney's advice is, you don't read about it in the newspaper after he gives it," the president said.

Bush credited Rumsfeld with overseeing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan while overhauling the military. "I'm pleased with the progress we're making," the president said. He replied in the affirmative when asked if he wanted Rumsfeld and Cheney to stay with him until the end.

Bush opened the interview by saying he was pleased that North Korea was returning to stalled nuclear talks. Although North Korea has a history of breaking promises and walking away from negotiations, Bush did not express doubts about the intentions of Kim Jong Il, North Korea's leader.

"It's his choice," Bush said. "I would hope he is sincere." He said that any deal with North Korea would have to be verifiable.

The president said he did not accept North Korea as a nuclear weapons state, even though it tested an atomic bomb three weeks ago. "Our objective is to see they're not a nuclear weapons state," the president said.

Bush said Robert Joseph, U.S. undersecretary of state for arms control and international security, and R. Nicholas Burns, undersecretary of state for political affairs, will travel through the region to talk with allies about how to make progress.

"We're going to talk about making sure that the sanctions passed by the United Nations are effective," the president said. "Implementation of the sanctions will be on the table."

The president also expressed confidence in Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki despite apparent strains between Washington and Baghdad.

"I appreciate he's making hard decisions that he thinks are necessary to keep his country united and moving forward," the president said. "I didn't find any difference of opinion when I talked to him. We both want Iraq to be able to govern itself, sustain itself and defend itself. We both want there to be benchmarks — Iraqi developed and designed benchmarks — that show the Iraqi people and the American people that this young democracy is making progress."

Bush said that "there's no question that October was a tough month. We lost 103 soldiers. It was a tough month because we were on the offense, the enemy was on the offense — the enemy was trying to affect us. And it was a tough month because of Ramadan. ... Our troops and Iraqi troops killed or captured over 1,500 people during this period of time."

Bush refused to comment on Cheney's assertion that a "dunk in water" of terrorist suspects was a "no-brainer" if it would save American lives. "We don't discuss the techniques we use," Bush said.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:06:09 PM »

Another completely meaningless statement from an administration that seems to be out of ideas,  but refuses to - and has no reason to - admit it.
WAlib

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.87

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:44:39 PM »

It's no great surprise that this this administration would confirm their arrogant disregard for what would be best for the country. Besides, Bush can't fire Rummy, Rummy's been in charge from the get-go hasn't he?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »

I really can't see how his support for Cheney even matters at all.  It takes a lot for a Vice President to resign, and certainly not because he's unpopular or says and does some stupid things occasionally.  Besides, he was democratically elected to that office, so Bush couldn't force him to quit if Cheney didn't want to go.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »

I've said this before and I suspect I will say this again.

Rumsfeld should be fired.

From a cannon.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:42 PM »

Bush credited Defense Scretary Donald Rumsfeld, rear, with managing conflicts in two countries while overhauling the military.

Is Bush actually a Democratic plant?  His absolute inability to sack people who need to go never ceases to amaze me.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 08:02:17 PM »

Bush credited Defense Scretary Donald Rumsfeld, rear, with managing conflicts in two countries while overhauling the military.

Is Bush actually a Democratic plant?  His absolute inability to sack people who need to go never ceases to amaze me.

I'm starting to think that way as well. Come on Bushie at least fire somebody. Jesus Christ all you have to do is bring them into your office and say "You're Fired!" Not that hard. Although the President would probably then start firing the only competent people in his administration.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:38 PM »

The problem with Rumsfeld is not that he's a bad Secretary of Defense, it's that he's he a bad Secretary of War, and that's what we need right now.  Indeed, if I were President I wouldn't mind even now having him as Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, since that is the one area that Rummy has been fairly good at.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 06:27:07 AM »

Cheney, maybe.

Rumsfeld definitely not.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 09:20:55 AM »

Come on ... Dick Cheney is like the Frank Langella character from Dave.  He makes the decisions.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »

Good.  They need to stay.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 10:59:22 AM »

I'm starting to think that way as well. Come on Bushie at least fire somebody. Jesus Christ all you have to do is bring them into your office and say "You're Fired!" Not that hard. Although the President would probably then start firing the only competent people in his administration.

The main reason why he doesn't do it is because they're pretty much all personal friends of either himself or his dad.  It's a common problem when you surround yourself with incompetent cronies; it'd just be too awkward and unpleasant for him to let them go.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »

The main reason why he doesn't do it is because they're pretty much all personal friends of either himself or his dad.  It's a common problem when you surround yourself with incompetent cronies; it'd just be too awkward and unpleasant for him to let them go.

This is completely the point.

Rumsfeld has been a disasterous SoD (he he he) - Cheney is VP, only if he does something really bad (and gets caught) should he get booted.

Surround yourself with buddies who think exactly the way you do... this is exactly how an administration spends so much time with their heads up their backsides.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »

Unless something drastic happens, Cheney has no real reason to go.

Rumsfeld should be kicked out as fast as possible, though.  That man is an arrogant, hubristic, incompetent jerk.  Maybe the congress should do a little "micro-managing" in January and we can dig up some dirt on good ole' Don!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »

I think this hits it right on the money, and is a clear indicator of why you should not hire your close personal friends to positions immediately under you.

Of course, Bush's entire term has been about helping people he owes things to, so I suppose I can't be too surprised... Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:23:54 PM »

I think this hits it right on the money, and is a clear indicator of why you should not hire your close personal friends to positions immediately under you.

Of course, Bush's entire term has been about helping people he owes things to, so I suppose I can't be too surprised... Tongue

Well Bush is President because of who is father is. It's his whole life. So it shouldn't be too surprising what his philosophy is.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 06:28:30 PM »

I give up. Maybe Bush really is as stupid as his opponents say he is. Roll Eyes
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »

It's pretty clear that when historians look back on Bush's tenure in office, his not firing Rumsfeld will be his biggest failure.
WAlib

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.87

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 10:52:24 PM »

Come on ... Dick Cheney is like the Frank Langella character from Dave.  He makes the decisions.

I think Cheney is still Rummy's subordinate ... even after all these years.
... I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that Rummy would ever hand over the reins.

I think we'll both agree that it's not bush in charge ...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 12:39:20 AM »

Quelle surprise. As if we didn't know Bush was unwise leaning on unintelligent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies