Couple of interesting points from the Hotline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:41:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Couple of interesting points from the Hotline
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Couple of interesting points from the Hotline  (Read 1588 times)
poughies
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:28:31 AM »

1. Reuters/Zogby has Dems up in six of the seven competitive races; they have Corker (R) leading Ford (D) in TN by ten points. It also has Tester (D) leading Burns (R) by a point. In TN, btw, we're told that the GOP internal track has Corker up two. (Hotline). Here's the Times-CBS poll.
2. The DSCC's Schumer holds a pen and pad to announce that the party is snapping up all available ad time in can find in AZ.

Why AZ? Here'a a memo from pollsters Paul Harstad and Chris Keating the DSCC will release today: "According to our October 29 to 31 survey of 745 likely Arizona voters, fully 30% of the Arizona electorate has already voted. We expect that perhaps up to two-fifths of the voters in this election will vote early or by absentee ballot. In our October 8 to 31 tracking polls (since early voting started) we have interviewed a total of 594 early voters. Among these early voters, Jim Pederson is leading Jon Kyl by 4 points: 44% for Pederson compared to 40% for Kyl, with 4% for other candidates and 12% refused. This 4% Pederson lead is all the more remarkable since registered Republicans and Democrats are equally likely to have voted early, and in fact there are more Republicans than Democrats in this early-voting sample of 594 respondents." (Hotline)

Hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com
gorkay

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »

The info about Arizona is interesting, and shows that the news for Republicans Tuesday night may be much worse than they anticipated. On the other hand, I'm beginning to think that Conrad Burns is going to pull it out (so to speak)... that race has gotten closer and closer.

Any Democrat who loses a close race will have the consolation of getting to blame it on John Kerry.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »

.....and just in.  Kerry leading Bush in exit polling in Florida, Ohio.  Colorado and Virginia neck and neck.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 11:01:21 AM »

Don't remind me of the last time I had hope in regards to the electoral practices of the American populous.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:50:41 PM »

Hmm is this actually true? I suspect not..but if it is..this is going to be a rough night for Republicans to say the least. There has been a lot of sudden buzz regarding this race over the last few days.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:53:16 PM »

On the other hand, there has been buzz about Arizona for as long as I can remember this election cycle. But nothing ever happened...once an actual independent poll of Arizona voters shows Pederson at least tied I'll take this seriously.

But there is nothing wrong with trying to level the playing field. As someone said, Burns could be on his way towards a come-back. The Democrats are reaching their absolute max now and they have to win a lot of marginal senate seats to carry the day.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 12:54:58 PM »

People who believe publicly released campaign strategy memos (regardless of party) are most likely going to be disappointed on election day. (kinda like the Republicans on early voting in certain states also)

The Democrats have good reason to spend in Arizona already.  This poll is not one of them.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 12:56:03 PM »

Pederson's chances are about the same as DeWine's.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 12:59:21 PM »

Pederson's chances are about the same as DeWine's.

I disagree. Looking at the polls, the high number of undecideds mean that Pederson still seems stuck at 45% or so. While that is still quite a lot considering how close we are to election day, Brown is in a much better position given how he at 50% or above.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »

On the other hand, there has been buzz about Arizona for as long as I can remember this election cycle. But nothing ever happened...once an actual independent poll of Arizona voters shows Pederson at least tied I'll take this seriously.

But there is nothing wrong with trying to level the playing field. As someone said, Burns could be on his way towards a come-back. The Democrats are reaching their absolute max now and they have to win a lot of marginal senate seats to carry the day.

Burns' chances keep rising every day as far as I can tell.  It is quite amazing to me, but he has got a hold of Tester on this tax issue and refuses to let go.  And it's working, which is quite understandable in Montana.

If he actually does come back, it'll be the most amazing return from the dead I've seen since Jesse Helms in 1984.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 01:10:20 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2006, 05:36:01 PM by Eraserhead »

Burns' chances keep rising every day as far as I can tell.  It is quite amazing to me, but he has got a hold of Tester on this tax issue and refuses to let go.  And it's working, which is quite understandable in Montana.

If he actually does come back, it'll be the most amazing return from the dead I've seen since Jesse Helms in 1984.

Well it remains to be seen if the "Burns comeback" is going anywhere. Rasmussen's last poll had him doing slightly worse in comparison to Tester than he did in the poll before that and now we have this Zogby poll where Burns is only a point behind..but it's a Zogby poll.
Rococo4

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 01:15:42 PM »

I dont think there is any doubt Burns is coming back.......I just dont know if he can make it all the way back.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 01:16:54 PM »

Well it remains to be seen if the "Burns comeback" is going anywhere. Rasmussen's last poll had him doing slightly worse in comparison to Tester than he did in the poll before that and now we have this Zogby poll where Burns is only a point ahead..but it's a Zogby poll.

Well, the Burns' comeback obviously went somewhere, because he was behind by 10 points about a month ago and he is clearly behind by under 5 points now.  I still don't think he will comeback in the end, but I give it more credence than you do because serious entities (not the NRSC) are starting to reinvest and deploy in Montana and that means a good bit in my book, especially for a party (the Republicans) who are facing a whole lot of seats to defend this year.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »

O God I really hope Burns does not survive; he is one of the GOP faces who symbolise everything that is wrong in Washington.  If he wins it will be like Jim Bunning vs. Daniel Mongiardo in Kentucky 2004. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »

New Rasmussen poll has Burns down 4%. 50%-46%. I'm not sure if that is with leaners or not though. If it is we should be good.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »

Burns is a crook.

He may still win, but he is STILL a crook.

You can't re-elect people who take bribes and continue to call your self a functional democracy.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

Well, maybe if he wins Burns will go to prison and Schweitzer can then appoint a Dem. Smiley Though if Tester loses this race, I wouldn't support appointing him.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 04:44:31 PM »

Burns is a crook.

He may still win, but he is STILL a crook.

You can't re-elect people who take bribes and continue to call your self a functional democracy.

I'm not denying any points you've made there at all.  Just reading the polling tea leaves and commenting on why movement is occurring  Smiley

Of course, I've never really thought the US was a democracy anyway, but that's a separate point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies