Politics calling: How do you like those nasty telephone calls (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:54:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politics calling: How do you like those nasty telephone calls (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politics calling: How do you like those nasty telephone calls  (Read 1766 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 03, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »

Sounds like a cry-baby article.  You know, if you look at your caller ID, and there is no name and/or phone number listed, just don't answer it.  And, if you don't have caller ID (which means you are more technologically backwards than this old man), just pick up the phone and say hello only once.  If there is no response, or you hear the computer click on the other end, just hang up.  It's not rocket science, and it's not a big inconvenience.

Now, the door-to-door campaigners on the other hand really piss me off.  I moved out into nowheres-ville in order to get away from people, and not to have campaign volunteers or petitioners coming by and knocking on my door.  Normally, when I open the door and they say "Hello, I ______, and I'm here representing (insert some person/group name)..." I say "Oh, isn't that nice.  Take care" and close the door.  Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »

Sounds like a cry-baby article.  You know, if you look at your caller ID, and there is no name and/or phone number listed, just don't answer it.  And, if you don't have caller ID (which means you are more technologically backwards than this old man), just pick up the phone and say hello only once.  If there is no response, or you hear the computer click on the other end, just hang up.  It's not rocket science, and it's not a big inconvenience.

Get 3 robocalls like this in one night, all after you've gone to bed - and then repeat your cry-baby line.

You are making it sound as if I never get calls at night.  Just learn to ignore them.  It's not hard.  The first step would be to put a cordless phone with a caller ID display in your bedroom (if you need one in your room to begin with).  If it is no one you know and not the hospital/police, just answer and hang up real quick.  Or, be like me turn off the ringer at night. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:20:34 AM »

I never said I defended the practice of robo-calling.  I'm just saying that the article sounded like a cry-baby piece, and normal people have ways to ignore the calls and live their lives in peace.  For your kids, put your cell phone in your room at night and have them call that line if it is an emergency.  Politicians will not be dialing it.  That is what I had my security personnel and instructors do back when I was managing the campus.  It's an unlisted number, so no one will be calling it at random.  That will solve all your night-time issues right there.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:46:14 AM »

Breathe in . . . Breathe out . . .

I'm just advising you on how to get around it.  It's not that big of a deal.  There isn't anything you can do right now to get them to stop calling, so just be proactive and take practical measures to get around it.  It's not that hard.  If you don't want the free advise, that's fine.  Just calm down.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:21:45 AM »

There isn't anything you can do right now to get them to stop calling

Ah, but there are things I can do to stop it from becoming a common practice and see the scum bag that made the calls go down. I can raise awareness of how shamelessly Charlie Taylor is running his campaign - and in doing so, hopefully see that such disgraceful tactics are not rewarded with victory. I hadn't raised a finger for his opponent (it's not the district I vote in or spend most of my time in) up until this point. He just picked up some serious cash to get the word out about this.

Well good.  Break out the computer and start typing up letters to the editors of all the local newspapers and inform them of the abuse of the do-not-call legislation which allows politicians to make calls during the election cycle, and that there must be enforcable time limitations for when the calls can be made.  Do not make it partisan, because once you do, it will be ignored, and nothing will be gained.  If you want, post it here, and we'll help you tweak it for optimal impact.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:36:31 AM »

nlm, you'll enjoy this. 

My sis-in-law was talking to me yesterday, and mentioned how she was woken up at 3am the other morning by an automated phone call from a special interest group trying to convince her to vote against the marriage protection act which is on our ballot.  She copied down the information from the phone call (she's one of those people who keep a pen and paper next to all of her phones) and called the group back first thing in the morning demanding an apology. The group apologized and contacted the "free" service they were using for their calls, and that company also turned around and apologized to her as well.  Sees that the person which updated the clock on their system for day light savings time screwed up, and reversed the AM with the PM.  They were getting complaint calls all day.  hahaha
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies