Unemployment Plunges to 4.4% in October
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:40:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Unemployment Plunges to 4.4% in October
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unemployment Plunges to 4.4% in October  (Read 747 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2006, 09:41:42 AM »

92,000 jobs added in October

148,000 jobs added in September (versus the 51,000 first reported)

230,000 jobs added in August (versus the 188,000 previously reported)

Workers’ average hourly earnings climbed to $16.91 in October, a sizable 0.4 percent increase from September.  That increase was bigger than the 0.3 percent rise economists were expecting. Over the last 12 months, wages grew by 3.9 percent.

The average time that the unemployed spent in their search for work in October was 16.5 weeks, an improvement from the average 17.4 weeks registered in September.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15543862/

---

Very nice.  Not too hot, not too cold.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:03:10 AM »

[sarcasm]These figures were released just in time for the election - very suspicious, don't you think?[/sarcasm]
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:05:59 AM »

Workers’ average hourly earnings climbed to $16.91

What a pathetic average wage!  Mere subsistence.  And that's the average - what's the median, $12/hour?!

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »

[sarcasm]These figures were released just in time for the election - very suspicious, don't you think?[/sarcasm]

The release dates of economic data are published months in advance. 

For employment numbers, I believe the date it is the first Friday of every month.  Been that way for at least 10 years.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:15:21 AM »

For employment numbers, I believe the date it is the first Friday of every month.  Been that way for at least 10 years.

Notice the sarcasm tags? No need to explain it - I was just being facetious.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:18:41 AM »

slight correction:

First Friday of the month at 8:30 ET

The time of day the data is released is also known months in advance.  Having exact release dates and times for economic reports obviously makes sense, since that way everyone will know the exact time to expect a report and no one in the market gets the data before anyone else.

---

Notice the sarcasm tags? No need to explain it - I was just being facetious.

Cool.  I figured you were too knowledgable to have been serious.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:25:01 AM »

Seems about right.  Good news as always, but I question on how long we can maintain such a low unemployment rate.  Like in the DC area where we actually have an employment shortage, salaries are getting a bit too high to be sustained for a long period of time.  Companies are going to have to start trimming back some.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:51:35 AM »

but I question on how long we can maintain such a low unemployment rate.  Like in the DC area where we actually have an employment shortage, salaries are getting a bit too high to be sustained for a long period of time.  Companies are going to have to start trimming back some.

yeah, the bond market didn't like the report. 
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:02:42 PM »

Good to hear. However, as we all know, this is just a GOP ploy to steal the election...because all good news that comes from a Republican time of year must be salted with fallacy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 12:57:21 PM »

U.S unemployment figures are even more of a joke than the jokes most other countries come out with (for several reasons, but the most important of which is the fact that the longterm unemployed are not counted).

What's the employment rate like? Activity rates?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 01:05:38 PM »

How about all the jobs being held by illegals?  Man, add them into the mix, and who knows how far the rate would rise/fall.  Tongue

Everyone knows that the unemployment % is not a complete number.  It misses self-contractors, private practices, and so on, as well as those that have spent way too much time without a job.  But, it all seems to balance out within a percentage point, so it's a fairly decent estimate of the economic conditions.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 01:58:24 PM »

Solid news for the economy. I didn't hear anyone saying this was some kind of political conspiracy, I don't think anyone thinks of monthly economic statistics like that.

The election issue this year of course has never been about the economic performance, unless you mean how the government spends its money, which is a different issue. The Republicans have chosen to campaign on the theme "vote for us because if you don't the terrorists win," and the Democrats have chosen to campaign on Iraq and some specific economic plans like the minimum wage.

The 230,000 added in August is what the economy needs to be getting on a regular basis. During the 1990's expansion our labor force was smaller than it is today, and we had an average of 225,000 jobs generated every month for about eight years. The current number just suggest that unemployment is dropping because not as many people are going into the job market. Still, the August/September numbers are an improvement over most of this expansion, and we'll see if they can continue to hold up. The stock market might not like it though... rising wages is bad for profits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies