Montana Senate Race (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:36:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Montana Senate Race (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for/who will win?
Tester/Tester

Tester/Burns

Burns/Burns

Burns/Tester

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Montana Senate Race  (Read 3927 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« on: November 03, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »

Tester/Tester.

Republican.  Because ethics and integrity matter.

What a joke.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:36:05 PM »

I've changed my mind; Burns is going to win. Tester is a f***ing awful candidate.

Uh, what's so terrible about him? He's a liberal running in an intensely Republican state, yes... but given that, it's amazing that he's doing so well. Even against a piece of shit like Burns.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:26:11 PM »

Maybe he isn't the greatest candidate to run in a state like Montana

He isn't the best candidate. Tester is actually stronger than the DLC-backed centrist he defeated in the primary, though, because Morrison was tarred by scandal. 

but he will make one hell of a U.S. Senator.

Agreed.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:01:08 PM »

I could be wrong, but it looks as though he took his foot off the proverbial pedal when he started to get double digit leads.

I can agree with this.

"F***ing awful candidate" is probably too harsh though.

It is. Smiley

I understand your frustration, but the odds really are stacked against Tester. The national climate isn't much help, as Bush remains relatively popular in Montana. Burns also benefits from his pork (the rest of his record ain't so great, but no one beats Conrad Burns when it comes to whoring for federal dollars).

Finally, he's closer to the state's mainstream than Tester is. Republicans are usually lying through their teeth when they claim that this or that Democrat is "too liberal" for their constituency, but in this case they may have a point. Turrurism and the Patriot Act don't help Crazy Conrad much, but the tax issue does. Will it be enough to save ol' Burnsy? I don't think so, but it will be close.

I find it laughable that anyone could seriously consider a three-term incumbent Senator, running for reelection in a state heavily slanted toward his party, to be an "underdog." Roll Eyes Even with his personal issues, this was Burns's race to lose (recall that most people thought he would coast to victory early in the year), and Tester has done very well overall.

Basically, you can chalk up the close race to the batshit nature of Montana itself. Tester can't change the state he's running in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies