MD: Survey USA: MD senate race statistically tied
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:14:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  MD: Survey USA: MD senate race statistically tied
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD: Survey USA: MD senate race statistically tied  (Read 4343 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:11:49 PM »
« edited: November 03, 2006, 06:22:02 PM by Quincy »

New Poll: Maryland Senator by Survey USA on 2006-11-02

Summary: D: 47%, R: 47%, U: 4%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:15:04 PM »

No it's not. Survey USA just sucks.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »

It has always been a tie to them with virtually no movement. Cardin will win by at least 5%.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 07:09:22 PM »

You know, while I'd like Cardin to win, I almost wouldn't mind if the MD Democrats did badly this year. Parties that take their base for granted need to be taught a lesson.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 07:11:47 PM »

You know, while I'd like Cardin to win, I almost wouldn't mind if the MD Democrats did badly this year. Parties that take their base for granted need to be taught a lesson.

We certainly aren't going to be taking the African-American base for granted after this year, no matter what happens. I'm reasonably confident about that-- at least it's affected my thinking.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:12:16 PM »

Yeah but Steele blows.
Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 07:29:18 PM »

They havent taken their base for granted. The only people who have been taken for granted are, across the nation, evangelicals and middle class people who were duped to vote republican. Blacks arent being taken for granted. How is this?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »

They havent taken their base for granted. The only people who have been taken for granted are, across the nation, evangelicals and middle class people who were duped to vote republican. Blacks arent being taken for granted. How is this?

Unfortunately, up until this point, we have. Look at the recent Democratic nominations for Senate, Governor, Lt. Governor, and lower level offices. They don't reflect, proportionally, the face of the Democratic party in our state. We are so afraid that if we nominate a black, whites won't for them, that we've simply stopped nominating blacks. But I really think the events of this election cycle have taken things to a head and been a huge wake-up call to the party. We'll need to do better in nominating people who reflect the diversity of this state. Things are definitely going to change from now on- at least in my view. Personally, I'm very serious about that. In the meantime, I really hope Cardin just pulls it off this year so we don't have a Bushbot for Senator.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 08:33:40 PM »

Unfortunately, up until this point, we have. Look at the recent Democratic nominations for Senate, Governor, Lt. Governor, and lower level offices. They don't reflect, proportionally, the face of the Democratic party in our state. We are so afraid that if we nominate a black, whites won't for them, that we've simply stopped nominating blacks. But I really think the events of this election cycle have taken things to a head and been a huge wake-up call to the party. We'll need to do better in nominating people who reflect the diversity of this state. Things are definitely going to change from now on- at least in my view. Personally, I'm very serious about that. In the meantime, I really hope Cardin just pulls it off this year so we don't have a Bushbot for Senator.
That's not taking blacks for granted. I'm sure theres a number of blacks in the legislature which i will look up in a bit. Also, its about who represents their interests in whether or not one is taking them for granted and Cardin represents there interests more then Steele.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 09:09:56 PM »

Black State Senators:

NATHANIEL J. McFADDEN -Majority Leader

LISA A. GLADDEN - Assistant Deputy Majority Whip

GWENDOLYN T. BRITT

JOAN CARTER CONWAY

ULYSSES CURRIE

NATHANIEL EXUM

RALPH M. HUGHES

VERNA L. JONES

DELORES GOODWIN KELLEY

GLORIA GARY LAWLAH

21.27% of Senators of whom all are democrats, 0 black republican senators
Total black population of Maryland - 30%
31.25% of Dem senators are black

House of Delegates:

OBIE PATTERSON - Assistant Majority Leader
EMMETT C. BURNS, JR. - Deputy Majority Whip
TAWANNA P. GAINES -  Deputy Majority Whip
KEITH E. HAYNES -  Deputy Majority Whip
MARVIN E. HOLMES, JR -  Deputy Majority Whip
SHIRLEY NATHAN-PULLIAM -  Deputy Majority Whip
MICHAEL L. VAUGHN - Deputy Majority Whip
JOANNE C. BENSON
TALMADGE BRANCH
RUDOLPH C. CANE
JILL P. CARTER
CLARENCE DAVIS
DERECK E. DAVIS
MARSHALL T. GOODWIN
MELONY GHEE GRIFFITH
HATTIE N. HARRISON
CAROLYN J. B. HOWARD
ADRIENNE A. JONES
DARRYL A. KELLEY
RUTH M. KIRK
SALIMA SILER MARRIOTT
GARETH E. MURRAY
NATHANIEL T. OAKS
JEFFREY A. PAIGE
ROSETTA C. PARKER
CATHERINE E. PUGH
HERMAN L. TAYLOR Jr.
VERONICA L. TURNER

28.57% of Dems are black
19.14% of House of Delegates are black dems
0 are republicans

The proportions of blacks in the democratic caucus in Maryland is around the black population of Maryland for both chambers.

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 10:29:14 PM »

SurveyUSA isn't M-D but they also aren't Zogby. The polls on this race have hardly been unified, I see no objective reason to assume SUSA just has this one totally wrong.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 10:37:15 PM »

SurveyUSA isn't M-D but they also aren't Zogby. The polls on this race have hardly been unified, I see no objective reason to assume SUSA just has this one totally wrong.

Well it disagrees with every other poll out there. That could be a good reason.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 10:39:19 PM »

Look at Survey USA's past polls in Maryland.  In nearly every single case, they gave Steele around 5 to 7 more points than any other pollster did in that same time period.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »

Right, but that doesn't make them wrong. Rarely are all the polls wrong, but sometimes a lot of them are.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 12:57:34 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2006, 01:04:07 AM by thefactor »

The apartheid supporter is promoting Steele's chances. How cute. Awww.
NHPolitico

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 01:13:18 AM »

Personally, I'm very serious about that. In the meantime, I really hope Cardin just pulls it off this year so we don't have a Bushbot for Senator.

A Bushbot who doesn't care for Rumsfeld?
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 01:14:13 AM »

I'm not supporting Steele, by any means, but it does look like the race has tightened from recent polling.  Is the polling right??  We'll know pretty damn soon; but I hope that we don't lose control of the senate based on Maryland, a state that should have been as safe as Minnesota.

Would Mfume be doing better at this point??  I think he ran a great primary race on very little money--what could he have done were he in the general election instead of Cardin??

And on a related tangent, I think it's past time that Maryland reabsorbed DC.  I think the original constitutional intent of having the federal government in it's own district is now arcane.  How would the merger of DC back into Maryland affect politics on the state level???
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 03:22:08 AM »

The apartheid supporter is promoting Steele's chances. How cute. Awww.

Don't try to understand my thinking. It's just too far beyond you.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 03:46:07 AM »

Personally, I'm very serious about that. In the meantime, I really hope Cardin just pulls it off this year so we don't have a Bushbot for Senator.

A Bushbot who doesn't care for Rumsfeld?

Steele's bottom line comes down to supporting Bush's decision to keep Rumsfeld till the end of his term, though he's of course spinning this issue like a dreidel. Cardin on the other hand has said Rumsfeld should resign.

AuH2O- Don't sell yourself short. I'm sure your profound positions are far beyond all expression.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies