Insurgent activity spikes in Afghanistan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:21:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Insurgent activity spikes in Afghanistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Insurgent activity spikes in Afghanistan  (Read 1632 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:37:51 AM »

By JASON STRAZIUSO, Associated Press Writer
23 minutes ago

KABUL, Afghanistan - Insurgent activity in        Afghanistan has risen fourfold this year, and militants now launch more than 600 attacks a month, a rising wave of violence that has resulted in 3,700 deaths in 2006, a bleak new report released Sunday found.

On Monday, a provincal police chief said U.S. and Afghan forces have arrested a senior al-Qaida member in southeastern Afghanistan, a provincial police chief.

The troops detained six people — four Afghans, an Arab and a Pakistani — on Thursday in the city of Khost, said Mohammad Ayub, the provincial police chief. He said the detainees are under the custody of U.S. forces.

Pakistan's The News daily reported on Monday that one of the detainees was Abu Nasir al-Qahtani, one of four Arab al-Qaida operatives who escaped from the U.S. prison in Bagram in July 2005.

Meanwhile, in the volatile border area near Pakistan, more than 20 Taliban militants — and possibly as many as 60 — were killed during several days of clashes, officials said Sunday.

The new report said insurgents were launching more than 600 attacks a month as of the end of September, up from 300 a month at the end of March this year. The violence has killed more than 3,700 people this year, it said.

Afghanistan saw about 130 insurgent attacks a month last year, said the report by the Joint Coordination and Monitoring Board, a body of Afghan and international officials charged with overseeing the implementation of the Afghanistan Compact, a five-year reconstruction and development blueprint signed in February.

The violence "threatens to reverse some of the gains made in the recent past, with development activities being especially hard hit in several areas, resulting in partial or total withdrawal of international agencies in a number of the worst-affected provinces."

The report said that the rising drug trade in Afghanistan is fueling the insurgency in four volatile southern provinces. The slow pace of development is contributing to popular disaffection and ineffective implementation of the drug fight, it said.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »

As expected. The only way to truly end that will be by basically invading NW Pakistan...and won't that be messy...
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:14:53 PM »

Nerve gas and bunker buster nukes. plus a joint move to take otu paksitan with India.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

Nerve gas and bunker buster nukes. plus a joint move to take otu paksitan with India.
*waits for phnkrocket*
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 06:51:51 PM »

What? Pakistan has WMD. I only trust first world nations to have WMD and even then not all of the first world(not France or britain or germany)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 07:02:20 PM »

What? Pakistan has WMD. I only trust first world nations to have WMD and even then not all of the first world(not France or britain or germany)
*keeps waiting for phnkrocket* *or kalifiskhan*
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »

kashifsakhan
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »

Okay im here!

While i agree that Pakistan is definitely providing help for the insurgency, i think the Allied forces and the Afghan forces have made such a mess of the situation in the last 5 years, that invading Pakistan would just cause havoc in the whole region.

Afghanistan is just one of those places where you should never get involved.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »

Okay im here!

While i agree that Pakistan is definitely providing help for the insurgency, i think the Allied forces and the Afghan forces have made such a mess of the situation in the last 5 years, that invading Pakistan would just cause havoc in the whole region.

Afghanistan is just one of those places where you should never get involved.

Oh, good. Smiley

Well...I'm not sure there are any good options...or ever were...

And we really did try not to get involved, but trust the Taliban to drag us into it. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies