Poor Saddam (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:37:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Poor Saddam (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poor Saddam  (Read 6051 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« on: November 06, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »

Roll Eyes

Conspiracy-minded, you lefties are.

Can you honestly say Saddam Hussein is not guilty of the charges against him?

And my preferred method of justice would be releasing Saddam on his own recognizance...in the middle of As Sulaymaniyah. Publicly announced beforehand.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »

Old tyrants are not executed, they are exiled or murdered. Sometimes the murderer calls it an "execution" - Ceausescu, Zulfikar Bhutto, perhaps Saddam now - but that doesn't change the facts.
Well, I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of Kurds slaughtered by Saddam wouldn't care what it was called. Tongue
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:24:12 PM »

Old tyrants are not executed, they are exiled or murdered. Sometimes the murderer calls it an "execution" - Ceausescu, Zulfikar Bhutto, perhaps Saddam now - but that doesn't change the facts.
Well, I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of Kurds slaughtered by Saddam wouldn't care what it was called. Tongue
They're dead, so indeed they don't care.
But then they don't care whether he is killed in the first place.
Perhaps...depends on one's views on afterlife matters. Tongue But the Kurdish survivors of those massacres do care.

And addressing the point you seem to be making. I do think the death penalty is overused and not subject to enough oversight. But sometimes, it is appropriate, and killing one of the worst war criminals alive today is something I consider appropriate.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 03:34:55 PM »

They're dead, so indeed they don't care.
But then they don't care whether he is killed in the first place.
Perhaps...depends on one's views on afterlife matters. Tongue But the Kurdish survivors of those massacres do care.

And addressing the point you seem to be making. I do think the death penalty is overused and not subject to enough oversight. But sometimes, it is appropriate, and killing one of the worst war criminals alive today is something I consider appropriate.
It's probably bad politics. Tongue
At this point, everything is bad politics in Iraq. Tongue

And Al, they refused Saddam's request for a firing squad Wink
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 03:35:34 PM »

I'm still looking for where i said anything about him not being guilty.
"in the form of a kangaroo court ruling" from your image
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »

And Al, they refused Saddam's request for a firing squad Wink

I was thinking more of the traditional lynching

Just drop him off in a Kurdish region if you want to see that...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »

Just because the outcome was pre determined by the U.S. doesn't make him less guilty, I just think they could have at least pretended to give him a fair trial.

What part of it do you consider to be unfair? The accusation has been made - rather persistently by left-wing and anti-American sources both here and abroad - but I haven't heard details.

Saddam went out of his way to try and ruin the trial himself, refusing counsel and so on.

And let's be blunt, if there had been a O.J.-style technicality involved Saddam wouldn't have made it five steps past the courtroom...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »

and that this was staged to try to influence the midterm elections.

Why would this have been staged to influence the 2006 elections and not the 2004 elections, hmm? Seems like some serious long-term planning, and no way will I ever believe the Bush Admin can handle long-term planning. Tongue
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 07:07:25 PM »

The judges were hand picked by the U.S. for one thing, A little input from another country might have been nice, even Bush's lapdog Blair isn't happy.
Didn't they substitute some of them? And what other country should have provided input? I am curious what the alternatives were...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

what about that grand coalition of the willing?
using one of them would have required, ya know, intelligence Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies