Why has there never been a black Southern Senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:37:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why has there never been a black Southern Senator?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why has there never been a black Southern Senator?  (Read 11475 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »

...because so many black Senators have been elected from other states, like MA and IL. And IL. And... er...

Anyway, clearly only Southerners are racists. There is absolutely no racism or residential segregation outside the South. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a Republican or a Dixiecrat. Or both. Roll Eyes

All Americans are racists, Al, not just Southerners.  I think anyone would admit that.

That said, Southerners are far more so, and generally frightful intolerants.  This is due to religion.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2006, 10:30:49 PM by nini2287 »

Are you?

That said, Southerners are far more so, and generally frightful intolerants.  This is due to religion.

What does racism have to do with religion?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 10:11:13 PM »

God tells us to go lynch black people.  Clearly you haven't heard.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 10:12:23 PM »

One word:  Racism.

We can cross our fingers and hope that Tennessee and Mississippi elect black senators Tuesday, but alas, I'm afraid neither will happen.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »

Wakie, mind explaining why our enlightened fellow Pennsylvanians in Philly voted over 40% for the white Republican running against the Black Democrat in a city that routinely elects Democrats with 70-80% of the vote?

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 02:45:06 AM »

Perhaps a pertinent question would be why an initiative to remove segregation from the Mississippi state constitution failed in 2004, with whites ovewhelmingly voting against the measure.

That would be Alabama.

It would indeed, and the question was whether to double funding where not needed.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 02:46:03 AM »

Assuming that Ford loses in Tennessee, I would wager that the first African-American to be elected from a Southern state in modern times will be a Republican.

Maryland is a Southern state!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 02:48:04 AM »

Assuming that Ford loses in Tennessee, I would wager that the first African-American to be elected from a Southern state in modern times will be a Republican.

Maryland is a Southern state!

Politically it's a north-east state. Sarbanes is the most liberal Senator according to Progressive Punch. Could someone to the left of Ted Kennedy, Barbara Boxer, Russ Feingold, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Jack Reed, and Dick Durbin be elected to the Senate in a southern state?
hoshie
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -5.22

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 03:20:06 AM »

Does anyone here remember the Jesse Helms 'Hands' ad from 1990? I feel that ads like that feed on prejudice white folks have on black folks, hence no black Senators from the South.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »

Here is a list of all black Congressmen (Representatives and Senators) dating back to 1870.

"Black Members of the United States Congress: 1870 - 2005"
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »

Yes, obviously.  But I'm honest enough to admit it, and self-aware enough to know it.  Of course I'm a racist!  I was born and bred to it, reared in it.. like every white Westerner it permeates my very pores.

That said I try not to act upon it at all, and I'm sure I'm not the 'worst' case.

[/quote]
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »

Really just a question for our members from the South.  Are y'all just bigots?

I know it has been stated over and over but I just love this comment especially since the first black Senator came from the south. Oh, I love it.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »

I know it has been stated over and over but I just love this comment especially since the first black Senator came from the south. Oh, I love it.

Yep ... he was APPOINTED.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

c'mon, as much as I disagree with Wakie's stupid question, that's not a valid point Phil...
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »

Ok, if race-baiting doesn't work in the South then what was the point of the "Call Me Harold" ad?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »

I have a better question... why is it when Republicans run black candidates they are automatically ousted by the black community and labeled "Uncle Toms".  Maybe if the black community didn't demonize the current "in" party down South there woudl acctually be some black Senators.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2006, 01:39:47 PM »

I have a better question... why is it when Republicans run black candidates they are automatically ousted by the black community and labeled "Uncle Toms".  Maybe if the black community didn't demonize the current "in" party down South there woudl acctually be some black Senators.

How very political of you.  Ignore the question.  Pose an alternate question without a specific example to be referenced.  Stick fingers in ears and hum loudly.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »

Another issue is that most black Representatives are too liberal to be elected statewide in the South.

Thanks to gerrymandering that puts most black Reps in 90%+ Dem districts, so they kinda have to have very liberal voting records.

Gerrymandering insisted upon by the Unholy Coalition of leftist Dems and rightist Reps. Self-inflicted wound there.

And yes, any sane place wouldn't elect a Cynthia McKinney to anything. Tongue My favorite black representative, Sanford Bishop, would be an attractive candidate to higher office if he wasn't stuck with all those fascist Northern suburban transplants around Atlanta. Tongue HE can win rural white Southerners. Wink
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »

And everyone

Please rememeber California Gubernatorial Election, 1982, and NEw York Gubertorial Election 2002,

People everywhere are bigots, not just the south.

Thankyou! you're absolutely right! It's NOT just in the South, it's everywhere. I hate it when people refer to us as THAT region where backwards bigots lynch gays, blacks, Jews, and dogs.

To answer the question why there hasn't been a black candidate from the South, most of them are too liberal for all the Southern states as a whole. Racism is a factor, but not really that much. Look how close Tennessee is this year, and since there is only 15% black population (roundabout) in the entire state, it's futile to argue racism is the only factor.

Now, let's say Ken Blackwell, Lynn Swann (exaggerating), or Micheal Steele  were to run in Tennessee... I think Steele would beat Ford. I would vote Steele. Don't know about the other two.

I don't think a black DEM candidate has a shot in LA, MS, AL, GA, or SC (i.e. the Deep South) but a black GOP candidate could.

TN (duh), NC, VA, and possibly AR (they're still very DEM on the state level) black candidates, regardless of party, have a good shot.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »

Another issue is that most black Representatives are too liberal to be elected statewide in the South.

Thanks to gerrymandering that puts most black Reps in 90%+ Dem districts, so they kinda have to have very liberal voting records.

Gerrymandering insisted upon by the Unholy Coalition of leftist Dems and rightist Reps. Self-inflicted wound there.

And yes, any sane place wouldn't elect a Cynthia McKinney to anything. Tongue My favorite black representative, Sanford Bishop, would be an attractive candidate to higher office if he wasn't stuck with all those fascist Northern suburban transplants around Atlanta. Tongue HE can win rural white Southerners. Wink

Sanford Bishop is one of Jamespol's favorite Georgia representatives. He wants Sanford to take on Saxby in 2008.

With good reason. Wink

And yes, I would dearly love to see Senator Sanford Bishop instead of Senator Saxby Chambliss. But those suburbs are the problem...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »

if he wasn't stuck with all those fascist Northern suburban transplants around Atlanta.

Don't mince your words, go on, tell us how you really feel about them Grin
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »

How many black senatoral candidates there have been? I think Democrats have been unwilling to risk races by black candidates. This is a biggest reason why there have been so few black senators.

And Ford is practically white. Looks more Italian or Latino than Afro-American.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2006, 05:23:35 PM »

if he wasn't stuck with all those fascist Northern suburban transplants around Atlanta.

Don't mince your words, go on, tell us how you really feel about them Grin

I think Indianapolis might beat them out, but that's a close call. Cheesy Remember, these are the people MarkDel thought were extremely conservative. Grin
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2006, 05:47:07 PM »

First of all, it depends on who you ask and (more importantly) where they are from.  I think it is for much of the same reason that we have had so few blacks from other states, a significent % of people are racist, but keep it to themselves because society doesn't allow it to be openly stated.  Ex: Trent Lott, before his Strom statment, no one knew that he was a racist; because he never spoke about anything like that because he likes his job (50 years ago he could've gotton elected there for saying that...). Question for who ever started this thread: has your state ever elected a black Senator?  If not why?  While you may have a valid question, the way you asked it was ridiculess!
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »

Sanford Bishop is one of Jamespol's favorite Georgia representatives. He wants Sanford to take on Saxby in 2008.

Good idea!  My family would finally be rid of him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies