Why is DuPage County, IL so far left and liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:48:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is DuPage County, IL so far left and liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is DuPage County, IL so far left and liberal?  (Read 1184 times)
Cyrusman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2022, 07:39:36 PM »

It’s obviously not Maga country but it’s not some super progressive liberal area IMO but it votes that way.

I can’t imagine these people support high taxes, easy border policies and other items of the  progressive agenda but maybe I’m wrong.

Any ideas?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 07:41:37 PM »

It is not a "Bernie bro" area. The Democrats there are establishment types. If anything, taxes, crime, and inflation could be used by R's to narrow it down.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 08:20:04 PM »

It is not a "Bernie bro" area. The Democrats there are establishment types. If anything, taxes, crime, and inflation could be used by R's to narrow it down.

But why is it such a big time democrat establishment center? Like what’s so attractive to those people about the democrat establishment?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 09:07:21 PM »

But why is it such a big time democrat establishment center? Like what’s so attractive to those people about the democrat establishment?
They want to feel like they are "down with the people", without actually helping the working class/actively smearing the working class as deplorables
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 12:02:32 AM »

Roughly half of the adult population here has higher education. That should make it abundantly clear which party this county favors in the current political climate.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 12:05:16 AM »

Romney only barely lost it to Obama, but DuPage would have even voted for Bernie over Trump.  (Interestingly, it backed Bernie in the 2016 primary.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 12:16:54 AM »

This is kind of a surreal topic headline to be reading. Imagine being told in 2006 that that would one day be a question and actually a valid one and not a laughable troll one.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 12:18:45 AM »

Trump was a horrible fit for it.

Bear in mind that it's not really a Gwinnett situation where there was a ton of demographic change because it's barely grown in the past two decades. Downballot Republicans still do far better than Trump, and a non-Trump R should be able to do substantially better. Interestingly, it swung 15 points left between 2012 and 2016 but only 3 from 2016 to 2020, indicating that Democrats may be close to tapped out for now.

IDK, Illinois has such weird politics.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 12:29:31 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 11:33:55 AM by Sol »

Bear in mind that it's not really a Gwinnett situation where there was a ton of demographic change because it's barely grown in the past two decades. Downballot Republicans still do far better than Trump, and a non-Trump R should be able to do substantially better. Interestingly, it swung 15 points left between 2012 and 2016 but only 3 from 2016 to 2020, indicating that Democrats may be close to tapped out for now.

IIRC the tepid 2020 swing is mostly down to the large Asian and Latino swings to Trump in Northern sections of the county--the white southern half had strong swings to Biden, except in certain working class areas in the extreme south which I think are more like Will County/SW Cook.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 08:51:31 PM »

How has the racial composition changed? Wouldn't surprised me if it's gained blacks from Chicago, lost whites to Indiana, had old whites die off, and had the usual Asian and Hispanic population increases.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 01:04:21 AM »

How has the racial composition changed? Wouldn't surprised me if it's gained blacks from Chicago, lost whites to Indiana, had old whites die off, and had the usual Asian and Hispanic population increases.

I think that’s part of it, I believe it’s a higher % Asian and Hispanic than one would expect being often thought of as white and affluent. I do think one of the posters above also had a point about it being in favor of societal norms and trusting of institutions (which lends to being liberal these days) but not so much that they want to  disrupt the economic paradigm they are thriving in (so no economic left wingers). Another factor is probably that it is pretty much entirely suburban. This is a contrast from typical collar counties that extend into rural/exurbs. Kane, another suburban collar county, is pretty much entirely west of it so it houses most of the sparse Chicago western exurbs rather than DuPage. And finally Trump was just a bad fit
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 01:07:53 AM »

I think that’s part of it, I believe it’s a higher % Asian and Hispanic than one would expect being often thought of as white and affluent. I do think one of the posters above also had a point about it being in favor of societal norms and trusting of institutions (which lends to being liberal these days) but not so much that they want to  disrupt the economic paradigm they are thriving in (so no economic left wingers). Another factor is probably that it is pretty much entirely suburban. This is a contrast from typical collar counties that extend into rural/exurbs. Kane, another suburban collar county, is pretty much entirely west of it so it houses most of the sparse Chicago western exurbs rather than DuPage. And finally Trump was just a bad fit

Kane is also anchored by Aurora which does cross into Dupage and slightly pushes it left but not much. Overall other than McHenry which is exurban the other collar counties do have defining industrial satellite cities that are more similar to Gary from what I understand than true suburbs of Chicago. Although they haven't suffered the same decline as Gary.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 08:38:47 AM »

This is kind of a surreal topic headline to be reading. Imagine being told in 2006 that that would one day be a question and actually a valid one and not a laughable troll one.

Yes, it’s so weird not to be discussing it as Illinois’s heartland of conservative evangelicals.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »

Kane is also anchored by Aurora which does cross into Dupage and slightly pushes it left but not much. Overall other than McHenry which is exurban the other collar counties do have defining industrial satellite cities that are more similar to Gary from what I understand than true suburbs of Chicago. Although they haven't suffered the same decline as Gary.

Yes that speaks to why the collar counties are blue in general, since most of them have a small city within them. DuPage has Naperville (which is probably more suburban than city, but still nets a ton of Dem votes I believe) and a small part of Aurora. Kane has Aurora and Elgin, which are both legitimately urban at some points. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think Kane would vote R absent of those two city cores?
dpmapper
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »

Naperville is pure suburb; it was pretty tiny in 1950.  It's more left-leaning than most other parts of DuPage in part because it has a large population of highly educated Asians. 

Aurora and Elgin have much older urban cores (they've had gang violence problems in the past), although Aurora in particular has expanded with a lot of suburban development around its edges.  For instance, the part of Aurora in DuPage is most definitely suburban in nature. 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2022, 02:23:05 PM »

Yes, it’s so weird not to be discussing it as Illinois’s heartland of conservative evangelicals.

It's certainly not unprecedented though--not too different from suburban Minneapolis or MO-02 tbh.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2022, 04:05:14 PM »

I had that same exact thought when I saw this topic.

It's not just Trump though. It looks like this started around Obama in 2008. While he did have the home-state advantage that year, he held on in 2012. The trend has been creeping down-ballot though. Generally, federal offices start to fall first. Tammy Duckworth beat Mark Kirk by a decent margin in 2016. Dick Durbin carried the county by double-digits in 2020 with only a 16% statewide margin. The current IL-06 was supposed to be a Republican sink. That easily fell in 2018. In the gubernatorial race, Pritzker carried DuPage. I've tried to find information on this, but I was trying to find the last Democratic gubernatorial candidate to win DuPage. Apparently, Pritzker was the first since 1932 (back when gubernatorial elections were on the same ballot as presidential elections). That was probably the only exception since the founding of the Republican Party.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2022, 06:25:35 PM »

Probably social issues, these types of voters are probably pro-choice and support gun control. Also education is important and Dems have long been the more trusted party on that issue.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 07:19:49 AM »

I would be interested to see its total Dem vs. GOP vote in the November elections for Congress this year. It voted slightly to the left of the state in the 2020 elections for President but voted for Pritzker by only 2 points in 2018 while he won by 15 statewide.

It has had some demographic change but not major demographic change.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2022, 11:42:29 AM »

It's certainly not unprecedented though--not too different from suburban Minneapolis or MO-02 tbh.

Yeah, it’s consistent with other suburban areas. Hell, Orange County is voting D these days! That would’ve been really unbelievable to someone in 2006.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »

In addition to what others have said, a significant portion of DuPage County's population works in science and technology-related fields - due to its proximity to research facilities like Fermilab and Argonne as well as corporations in the Illinois Technology Corridor along I-88. These industries have trended into the Democratic column in recent years. You can see local Democratic politicians like Bill Foster and Sean Casten leaning heavily into their science backgrounds to their electoral benefit.

Of course, secular whites in knowledge economy areas going into the Democratic column is hardly an unusual development over the past few decades, so DuPage is just following nationwide trends.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2022, 01:43:55 PM »

Of course, it has to be said that DuPage County went from 92% White in 1990 to only 72% White in 2020. 
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 10:30:35 PM »

I moved there, that's why.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2022, 12:07:55 AM »

One interesting thing about DuPage is that Kirk actually lost it by more than Romney despite doing better in Lake (this sorta makes sense because it's where he's from but still).

2020 saw a massive turnout influx in the County which is why it could've not swung as far left as it did between 2012 and 2016. These new voters were likely less educated than the electorate overall.

Outside of Lake County and the Northern Suburb, DuPage probably is the 2nd most favored quarters economically in the Chicago metro.

Def seems like a case of white suburban voters becoming more educated and those educated voters themselves becoming more favorable to Dems, simillar to say Montgomery County PA. Important to remember too that Chicago is the arguably the 3rd largest metro in the US; an educated suburban County immediately outside the "minority ring" around the city is going to be pretty D
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:32 PM »

Romney only barely lost it to Obama, but DuPage would have even voted for Bernie over Trump.  (Interestingly, it backed Bernie in the 2016 primary.)

It's somewhat surprising that Romney wasn't able to flip it back, this is exactly the kind of county that was full of the demographic profile he was trying to court.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies