Republican party has won...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:51:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republican party has won...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Democrats: What will you do if we fail to take control of either chamber? (see below for content)
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Option5

Option 6

Option 7

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Republican party has won...  (Read 1593 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »

... the expectations game. Cheesy

Seriously. What do you think will sell more newspapers "More of the Same Could Be Election Result," or "Democrats Could Take Control of the House?" The media, especially last week, was clearly hyping a Democratic takeover.

As the polls and predictions stand currently, the Dems look very likely--more than not-- to get the necessary 15 seats or more. Rothenberg and Sabato have their reputations to preserve and they wouldn't hype just for the sake of it.

Still, when you have people like Charles Krauthammer claiming that a Democratic failure to take control of the House would be equivalent to a catastrophic defeat, or George Will writing articles like his recent one on how if the Democrats don't take control of Congress it will be like a 1936-style defeat, and thus by implicating giving Bush and the Republicans an FDR-style mandate, and Democrats they should just give up on politics, the hyperbole and loss of connection with reality there becomes defeaning.

A year ago, few respected political prognosticators would have predicted a Democratic takeover. Under current gerrymandering rules, Bush won a plurality in 255 of our Congressional districts, while John Kerry won a plurality in only 180 of them. Thus it stands to reason that even if the Republicans fall short of an outright majority in the Congressional vote, indeed even if they fail to reach a plurality, they could still be returned to the majority of the Chamber. If the Democrats take the House, it will be a remarkable achievement, but if they fail, it will not be such a catastrophic defeat (it just might be a disaster for the country, but that's another issue).

There is no iron law of the six-year itch, as the GOP learned in 1998. Being in the sixth year of a two-term Presidency does not guarantee losses to the President's party. That is no less true of 2006 than any other sixth year, though the polls going into the event and the environmental factors are admittedly different this year.

Let us come back down to earth then and acknowledge reality: This election counts as a technical Dem victory if they pick up (in net) at least one seat in the House AND at least one seat in the Senate; a.k.a. a gain in both chambers. While many Democrats would undoubtedly be unsatisfied with such a result, it would mostly be disappointing in relation to the exaggerated expectations that have built up. In an era of 97.5 incumbent reelection rates, it should not be surprising.

If this happened, it would actually be something historic. The last time the Democrats accomplished a gain in both chambers in an off-year election was in 1990 (in 2000, they couldn't do it without simultaneously losing the Presidency). In 1990, many of you all were in your diapers or the womb. Mikhail Gorbachev ruled over a vast communist empire from the Kremlin. The hottest thing in computers was an overlocked Intel 486. A gain in both chambers shows our party can still win off-year elections, something that after 16 years is no longer certain, and it presages a possible win in the White House in 2008, just as 1990 presaged 1992.

But most of all I urge Republicans, independents AND Democrats not to overreact if events do not meet expectations tommorrow. The way the information is currently available to us, suggests Dems have a more than 50-50 chance of succeeding, but we can't ever predict every factor from polls. Democrats: We always have to prepare for that small chance of failure, that it may be reality. It's a big disappointment, but not the end of the world-- just what most would have expected a year ago, and still found most likely six months ago. The party isn't going anywhere.

It's just time to pick ourselves up and try again.

Now the poll:
Option 1- Recriminate about how the "spineless DLC" are destroying the party, again urge Frodo to change his avatar, and explain why the Dems should advocate withdrawing from Iraq in 1 week, impeaching the President, and electing Dennis Kucinich in 2008.
Option 2- Proclaim Zell Miller as the only true Dem, and that the party is DOOMED, DOOMED if it doesn't abandon its principles, pander to guys with confederate flags and shotguns, and resurrect the zombie of John Breckinridge so that he can vanquish dailykos.com
Option 3- Angstily agonize about framing issues, symbolizing and wording phrases correctly, and how to better manipulate people in general. Read George Lakoff's book for the 6th time, this time noticing the booger stuck in the crack between pages 32 and 33.
Option 4-  Finally expose the fact that Diebold voting machines are all linked to the White House basement by a super-secret telekinetic device, where Dick Cheney types in the election results on his computer... as he has been doing since 1968.
Option 5- Conclude that George Will was right, and that the only hope for humanity is now Canada, oh Canada. Pack my bags and head north, but not before cursing the fact that Union won the Civil War.
Option 6-  After a moment, pick myself up from disappointment, and begin working hard toward victory in 2008!
Option 7-  Not a Democrat.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:37:55 PM »

Option 6 is the obvious answer, but if we lose seats tomorrow, Option 4 is a possibility.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 01:16:21 PM »

I like your post, but hate the poll.  I don't even know how to vote in it.  I suspect you just rigged it so dems will vote #6.  what other choice is there really?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 01:21:35 PM »

I like your post, but hate the poll.  I don't even know how to vote in it.  I suspect you just rigged it so dems will vote #6.  what other choice is there really?

Okay, it's not a real poll. It's just a joke.
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 01:33:38 PM »

Okay, it's not a real poll. It's just a joke.
I guess I kinda figured that, but it was a bit too long and thought out I thought to be a total joke. Ah well, some good points were made.  I just hope we don't have to worry about the result.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »

Options 1, 5, and 7.
NHPolitico

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 01:48:19 PM »

I'm sorry, but, while I'm basically a Republican and so it can be suggested that I am extremely biased, if the Democrats can't win the House and don't at least pick up 3 seats tomorrow, they are a laughingstock.  You can't have so many things in your favor like the Dems do and not capitalize and call yourself a political party.  Does Bush have to screw 6 year old boys and Cheney shoot Jessica Alba in the face or something for Democrats to be a majority party? Holy crap.  If the results are mediocre tomorrow, Howard Dean needs to be removed on Wednesday and the DNC needs to figure out how to get its sh!t together.  I think it was a mistake for Democrats to not try to present any kind of platform this year, because they would have had more wins tomorrow, IMO, if they had.  I can't believe that their plan was to just be "not Bush," but that is probably enough to squeak out a win in the House tomorrow, but it could have been much more.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »

Option 1!

5 would be sounding pretty good as well. Especially if Burns wins.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 05:55:46 PM »

1, 3, and 5 are the somewhat reasonable options.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »

Option 6. Though I wouldn't put it past Dick Cheney to tamper with election results, I don't see why he wouldn't tamper with close races won by Democrats.

Besides, we have to win eventually. I think 2006 is that year.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 07:28:27 PM »

You forgot "commit suicide"... Tongue
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »

Option 3/Option 5. If the Democrats can't win this year, there is something fundamentally flawed with what we're doing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies