Electoral Voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:14:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Electoral Voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Electoral Voting  (Read 12351 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 06:59:16 PM »

How would a PV urbanize politics?  I don't think more people live in urban areas than live in rural/suburban areas.

Thats not the point.  It would urbanize national politics because it is easier to campaign in the city.  Think about it, who is going to speand time going from one door to another when the doors might be half-a-mile aprat when they can simply campaign in the cities where thousands of people can gather to hear your message?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »

TV man.  It would cost three cents to run ads in south dakota.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 07:11:37 PM »

How would a PV urbanize politics?  I don't think more people live in urban areas than live in rural/suburban areas.

It is much easier to vote in a city than in a rural area.  Polls are 5 blocks away as opposed to 5 hour drive away.  A  bit extreme, but peopel do drive over an hour to go vote in Wyoming.  Personally, I have no problem with someone who takes voting seriously enough to travel an hour to do so having more weight then me and my fifteen minute walk.

Retail poltics is much easier in a city.  A hands shake is worth 10 hours of TV ads.   Someone who has touched you is much more likely to feel motivated to go out and vote than someone who has only ever seen you on TV.

Get out the vote drives are much easier in cities.  You can drive people to the polls, as opposed to just calling and reminding them.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 07:16:07 PM »

I don't think it would lead to an urbanization.  People campaign in cities and run ads in other areas, it all balances out.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 08:00:04 PM »

The Democrats are over-reacting. Just because Gore won the PV but lost the EV doesn't mean we should change it. It could be the exact other way next time for all we know. Anyway, realistically, it wouldn't change, because there are too many small states that would object a constitutional amendment.
zachman

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 08:06:51 PM »

I'll say electoral, but only because it makes elections more interesting.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 08:20:38 PM »

I don't think it would lead to an urbanization.  People campaign in cities and run ads in other areas, it all balances out.

Way more people live in urban/suburban areas.  AS it is, they are represented in the electoral college because their states have more electoral votes.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 09:15:36 PM »

That still doesn't explain why a vote shouldn't count equally no matter where it is cast. It is not the job of the election system to dictate how and where candidates should campaign. I feel that an EC system which greatly increases campaigning in close states while encouraging no campaigning at all in lopsided states (including many big states such as New York, Texas, California, etc) is far more unfair.

How can you argue that it would be a great injustice for the urban areas to have a slight advantage in campaign visits, but yet think that it's perfectly fine that lopsided states get ignored COMPLETELY, even big ones with lots of cities and rural areas alike? There's a lot more injustice in the current system, regarding areas of the country getting completely ignored. With a popular vote system, every vote would count the same, so there would be just as much incentive to campaign in New York or Texas as there would be in Florida or Pennsylvania. That's how it should be...swing states get way too much attention now, and states that strongly favor one party get ignored completely.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2004, 12:43:34 PM »

I would like to see all the states move to the Maine/Nebraska methods.  Everyones votes should then be the same on a CD level, and whomever wins the PV in the state gets the 2 'bonus' EV.  

In the 2000 election, using this method, Bush would still have won the EV, 281-257.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 10:52:04 PM »

This would make gerrymandering even worse, and bias against cities, as their districts tend to be somewhat less competitive, thus they would receive less attention. You'd have the same problems as the current system, just on a more local level (competitive districts would get all the attention, while lopsided ones received none).
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2004, 03:05:57 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2004, 03:06:22 PM by Akno21 »

True. The reason the Founders went with the EC was it had the least flaws of all the methods.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2004, 03:54:28 PM »

True. The reason the Founders went with the EC was it had the least flaws of all the methods.

We agree on something! Finally! Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2004, 03:59:44 PM »

Yes, we do, finally. I got that from a book called the Unfinished Election of 2000, edited by Jack Rakove. It is a collection of essays from professors on various points of the election, from the Supreme Court intervention to the Electoral College.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »

Yes, we do, finally. I got that from a book called the Unfinished Election of 2000, edited by Jack Rakove. It is a collection of essays from professors on various points of the election, from the Supreme Court intervention to the Electoral College.

Akno,

Per your signature. I would like to say the website www.4president.org has some great old bumper stickers and such if you like GSore/Loserieberman campaign junk stuff. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2004, 05:51:58 PM »

Akno,

Per your signature. I would like to say the website www.4president.org has some great old bumper stickers and such if you like GSore/Loserieberman campaign junk stuff. Smiley

It is a very intersting web site and seemingly non-partisan, something to be appreciated. I have seen plenty of signatures on this site for candidates who got blown out, I feel no shame in having this signature.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2004, 07:57:49 PM »

Akno,

It is a very intersting web site and seemingly non-partisan, something to be appreciated. I have seen plenty of signatures on this site for candidates who got blown out, I feel no shame in having this signature.

As you shouldn't! Smiley I have Richard Nixons 1960 campaign bumper sticker on my desktop. The older bumper stickers are the best.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »

Akno,

As you shouldn't! Smiley I have Richard Nixons 1960 campaign bumper sticker on my desktop. The older bumper stickers are the best.

True, thats why everybody's going retro.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2004, 09:13:16 PM »

At the time, it was the best system possible, I agree. But times have changed, and our nation is a lot more democratic now than it was then.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2004, 09:14:19 PM »

At the time, it was the best system possible, I agree. But times have changed, and our nation is a lot more democratic now than it was then.

Unfortunately yes. But we are not a democracy mind you! We are a constitutional republic.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

Here is why I support the electoral college:

http://www.presidentelect.org/art_hyp1.html

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2004, 02:30:47 PM »

Easily Disproven.

1. That would never happen

2. Even if it did happen, it means for people want candidate B than want candidate A, no matter where they live.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2004, 02:33:53 PM »

My reason, part II:

http://www.presidentelect.org/art_hyp2.html
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2004, 02:41:46 PM »

Please.  They are still people, no matter if they live in NYC or North Dakota.

Why should land area matter?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2004, 02:43:22 PM »

The electoral system should be burned at the stake and buried under 30 feet of concrete.
Cool
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »

The electoral system should be burned at the stake and buried under 30 feet of concrete.
Cool

Good! If you're in a small state you might as well burn your voting card and forget the elections. PBrunsel is right on key. The Democrats would love to take the voice out of almost half of this nation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies