Republican dirty tricks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:09:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republican dirty tricks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican dirty tricks  (Read 774 times)
sethm0

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »

I wake up this morning and a quick check of the news shows multiple unethical and illegal election-day practices by Republicans:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2633458&page=1

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15603344/

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2634388

Not to mention this jem:

JSojourner

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: turnout reports and voting problems
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:25:30 am »
I called a few friends in Northern Virginia who I know voted this morning.  They tell me Jim Webb's name was badly obscured on the ballot.  Instead of listing him as Jim or James Webb...the ballot read as follows...

George Allen

James H. "Jim" Webb

But all that showed in the machine window was James H. "J

They figured it out but said several elderly and immigrant voters were confused.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »

Well, if you don´t want to vote for Allen you click on the sign where "Jim" is. A voter should be able to not vote for George Allen if this is intention, no matter if the Democrats name on the ballot is Jim, Jinx or Bronx ...If this is the case as you said that only the name "Jim" or something like this is on the ballot i would be suspicious though that my vote is somewhere gone in the subspace and not be counted ...  Tongue
sethm0

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:01:06 AM »

It could have an effect on those who don't make their decision until they get to the voting booth. A small number, granted, but in a race this close it could be decisive.

I will grant you though that this is not as serious as the two stories about the phone calls. Those are just dispicable.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »

Well, if you don´t want to vote for Allen you click on the sign where "Jim" is. A voter should be able to not vote for George Allen if this is intention, no matter if the Democrats name on the ballot is Jim, Jinx or Bronx ...If this is the case as you said that only the name "Jim" or something like this is on the ballot i would be suspicious though that my vote is somewhere gone in the subspace and not be counted ...  Tongue

I think the simple fact that "George" could be confused for "Jim" is evidence of Republican dirty tricks.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:07:32 AM »

I wonder who controls the county board of elections in that part of VA, and what party affliation the secretary of state (commonwealth?) is...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 02:01:51 PM »

It could have an effect on those who don't make their decision until they get to the voting booth. A small number, granted, but in a race this close it could be decisive.

We'll keep trying to kill this urban legend....

The only place where Webb's last name is missing is on a select few electronic voting machines, and it only occurs on the summary page after the person has casted their ballot.  The summary page has a character limit, and it is dropping off letters/names of all the candidates due to the limited space.  This does not occur on any ballots nor does it occur on the voting screen on the electronic voting machines.  Of course, this was identified weeks ago, so the notice was already sent out to those in the effected areas and posted in the newspapers.
sethm0

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 02:05:04 PM »

Okay, the issue with Webb's name is not as big a deal as it orignially seemed.

The issue with Republican committees sending out misleading phone calls and intimidating voters - still a HUGE deal. Look at the articles I posted at the top of the thread.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 02:13:10 PM »

Okay, the issue with Webb's name is not as big a deal as it orignially seemed.

The issue with Republican committees sending out misleading phone calls and intimidating voters - still a HUGE deal. Look at the articles I posted at the top of the thread.

We've heard the rumors up here reported by Jean Jensen, our Secretary of BoE (who also use to be the Director of VA's Democratic Party).  I haven't seen any actual details other than the vague hints provided in the news reports and on the radio.  Once something hardcore comes up, I can comment on it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies