Let me get this over with, guys.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:48:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Let me get this over with, guys.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Let me get this over with, guys.  (Read 4736 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2006, 01:14:45 AM »

First off, congrats to the winners. I have to hand it to you - you targeted the one you hated the most, got the person most likely to win as your nominee and totally destroyed Santorum. You achieved something amazing and for those that fairly challenged Santorum and didn't resort to ridiculously low attacks, I applaud your efforts.

I am now approaching a full day of being awake and work. November 7th, 2006 was quite an eventful day. It had its ups and downs but it ultimately ended in a crash landing. I remember looking at the clock in my friend's car when the radio news started calling the race for Casey; it was only about 8:45.

As I arrived at the party of a State Representative candidate (the guy I gave almost all of my time to and luckily ended up as the winner), I saw Santorum conceding the race. The worst part of it was that I couldn't hear what was being said but I could see his children standing by his side, crying. Seeing that was the hardest thing of all.

On my way home from the party, the full day of being awake began to catch up with me. I was half awake as I made my way up the steps to my house in the pouring rain. I walked past by Santorum sign one last time. I have to go take it down now but when I take it down, I will remember how proud I am of the work I did and the political hero that I worked for.  I hope this isn't the last of Rick Santorum in elected office...

As for beating up on me, take as many fair Wink shots as you want. My prediction was laughable and the results prove that. Casey's people shocked a lot of us as they are near 60% but some people saw it coming and I tip my hat to them. So again, I will take whatever comes my way. I am not running away from anything here but I do ask that the criticism is fair and friendly.

I'll read through the other threads later on. I just wanted to get this out of the way.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:24:13 AM »

Well played, Phil, and whatever anyone says, it was commendable that you kept hope alive right to the bitter end.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 01:25:38 AM »

hopefully today will smack some reality back into you
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:26:19 AM »

Phil ... we've duked it out over the Casey vs Santorum issue since almost a week after the 2004 election (when I suggested Casey as Dem candidate and some argued he had no interest in the Senate).  That was a very noble statement by you and I must say I respect you and your intelligence.  I know the feeling you are experiencing right now as I went through it 2 years ago.  We all are interested in trying to make America the best country and can be and hopefully we can work together over the next 2 years to do exactly that.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:30:25 AM »

We're lucky we got 12 years out of Santorum. He needs money to send his kids to college anyway, being a Senator doesn't pay too well but being an ex-Senator does.

We will hear lots of Democratic gloating and, given how many times they've lost recently, I don't really blame them. Younger Democrats don't know what being in control of Congress is like.

The only thing you can do after getting punched in the mouth is to come back stronger the next time. I will say this though, and it's something that worried me before I could even vote in 2000: Bush f'ed us, just like Clinton did to Democrats, albeit in a different way.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 01:37:02 AM »

Something in my gut tells me that Santorum may be PA's next Governor an office I think Santorum would excel in so keep hope in there Phil.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 01:46:15 AM »

Regardin Santorum, I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

Sorry Phil, I never understood how anyone could admire a horrible person like Rick Santorum.
danwxman

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 01:49:30 AM »

Something in my gut tells me that Santorum may be PA's next Governor an office I think Santorum would excel in so keep hope in there Phil.

Not gonna happen...I don't see Santorum as a Governor. Maybe he'll run for PA-04?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 01:50:56 AM »

Honestly guys, Santorum is done in PA.  What is his new job?  K Street Lobbyist.  He ain't gonna move from his Leesburg home and will likely just sell the house in PA.

I believe he'll end up as the Republican version of Howard Dean.  Popular within his own party but looked on as a loon by everyone else.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 01:52:43 AM »

Phil

have to give you credit for taking your lumps and accepting them.  Bottom line Santorum just doesn't fit the people of PA.  Central PA, maybe, but thats it.  he is just WAYY to conservative for this part of the country and the people of your state simply don't like the guy.  He's finished and he deserved the ass kicking he got.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 02:02:53 AM »

Santorum stuck his foot in his mouth way too many times.  But he would have lost this year anyway.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 02:16:46 AM »

Two words: Terry Schiavo.

Had Casey stood up and even said, "I'm pro-life, but the government shouldn't interfere with state matters," he would have gotten my vote.

And yes, I voted for Fattah.  I can't believe the GOP leadership covered for Foley.
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 02:17:12 AM »

I have to say that Santorum went out good and graciously.
Conan
conan

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 02:18:08 AM »

Two words: Terry Schiavo.

Had Casey stood up and even said, "I'm pro-life, but the government shouldn't interfere with state matters," he would have gotten my vote.

And yes, I voted for Fattah.  I can't believe the GOP leadership covered for Foley.
Choice isnt a state matter.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 02:21:13 AM »

Agreed. I saw his speech too. He was fair by saying the crowd should applaud to Casey.
Deano963

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 02:24:18 AM »

You're right. He did. I saw his concession speech. Very graious. I was very surprised. You gotta hand it to him - he knows how to lose with class apparently.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:27:10 AM »

yeah, I didn't agree with that either
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »

Not gonna happen...I don't see Santorum as a Governor. Maybe he'll run for PA-04?

I think he'll try Governor but I was also thinking about PA 4, too...

I am amazed that some people still insist on telling me why they think Santorum lost/is such a horrible person. Then I realize that it's the usual suspects. Thank you to everyone else.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:25 AM »

Classy Phil Classy.

I'm impressed.

We've got 2 years in the opposition...time to have some fun and gear up for taking some seats (cough PA08) back.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »

Classy Phil Classy.

I'm impressed.

We've got 2 years in the opposition...time to have some fun and gear up for taking some seats (cough PA08) back.

Fitzpatrick 2008 - Let's get the man who passed seven bills in just his first term back to beat the man who will prove to be worthless.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

Hello Phil!

Thank you.  We like Bob Casey.  But I must say, Rick Santorum made some very gentlemanly comments toward Bob and his family in conceding defeat.  Very classy.  I think we have not heard the last from your guy!

Jim
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »

Classy Phil Classy.

I'm impressed.

Fitzpatrick 2008 - Let's get the man who passed seven bills in just his first term back to beat the man who will prove to be worthless.

Fitz, unlike previous congressmen from here, is going to stay in the district...perhaps open a law office not too far from my house.

Its possible, but who knows, maybe he wants to be back in private life.

Somebody tell Jim Greenwood to make his fortune, and to come back to PA08.

Other than those two, I'm not sure who could take the seat back right now...and this doesnt even factor in if Murphy does well.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 11:27:50 AM »

Good to see that you're handling this Phil, though I thought you would all along. Smiley

Santorum didn't seem like a broken man and even though I still can't support someone that conservative, from what I've seen and heard of him these past 24 hours really improved my image of him. He seems like a very honest principled man and I admire that in people even when their opinions don't match with mine.

If he takes a safe House seat from some other Republican and keeps up his work I won't be too upset about it. Smiley
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »

What class! I wish I could've been so gracious when Kerry lost.

I wish Rick Santorum a success in whatever future career he pursues. He was a powerful voice for conservativism -- a voice the GOP will surely miss.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »

I bid all the best to Rick Santorum, who's loss in the Senate will permit him the chance to run, once again, for the House. If he keeps this up he'll be Deputy Mayor of Scranton in no time.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies