State Legislative Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:36:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislative Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: State Legislative Elections  (Read 24678 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes here is some information dealing with actual State Legislative Elections. Tongue All data publlicly available somewhere or another, but not assembled of course.

NM Statewide House Districts. All those intense colors are unopposed incumbents. Count 'em up and get depressed at the lack of competition. The four districts with hatches on them were gains from the other party, but as there were two each the overall balance remains.

Inset: Albuquerque Area

Inset: Las Cruces Area

Inset: Santa Fe Area
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2006, 05:04:46 PM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes

What? And miss all the fun? No way, Jose!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2006, 05:06:51 PM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes

What? And miss all the fun? No way, Jose!

Tongue Fortunately for me no matter how you look at it candidates I supported won somewhere or another. Grin
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2006, 08:30:28 AM »

Stop crying about Santorum Phil. Someone is going to have to take away your shoelaces soon if you can't grow up and start acting like an adult.

Oh, little Deano. You amuse me so much.  Smiley Have a good night, pal!  Smiley

Too bad you're probably half my age, little girl.

Alhough, to read your idiotic posts, I find it hard to believe you are even that old. Maybe I'm going to have to start writing to the PA School Board. If you're what the public shools are churning out these days, the future of this country is bleak indeed.

Phil went to a Catholic school. More evidence of why private schools are evil abominations. PA public schools are just fine.

You've got to be kidding me.

Hack went to private schools and he is this stupid and foolish?

You've got to be kidding me.

You're supersmart and you're using stupid and foolish as different words?

You know, megalomania IS curable. Or can at least be treated. You should check it out.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2006, 05:20:27 AM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes here is some information dealing with actual State Legislative Elections. Tongue All data publlicly available somewhere or another, but not assembled of course.

NM Statewide House Districts. All those intense colors are unopposed incumbents. Count 'em up and get depressed at the lack of competition. The four districts with hatches on them were gains from the other party, but as there were two each the overall balance remains.

Inset: Albuquerque Area

Inset: Las Cruces Area

Inset: Santa Fe Area

so it looks like there was a lot of state legislative election action down South.  I'm guessing Democrats lost the two seats because of the retirement/death of dixiecrat dinosaurs.  Why did the GOPers got knocked off in the Las Cruces area?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »

Here's the Senate race by State House district. More to show just how pathetic Kennedy really was:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »

More to show just how pathetic Kennedy really was:

Do you have friends?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »

yes. what's that have to do with this?

I already did the Senate and Governor's races by State Senate districts, so now I got around to this one. I should do the Governor's race by State House districts by the end of the weekend.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2006, 06:27:30 PM »

You are just a very sad boy who keeps picking on/seems to be obsessed Mark Kennedy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2006, 06:32:54 PM »

You are just a very sad boy who keeps picking on/seems to be obsessed Mark Kennedy.

We all know that if Santorum ever won with results like the ones I'm posting we'd never hear the end of you gloating about how he's the greatest person ever and all that.

Anyway, this is the first time I've bashed Kennedy in quite awhile. Just an appropiate time to point it out with the map finally completed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2006, 06:36:45 PM »

We all know that if Santorum ever won with results like the ones I'm posting we'd never hear the end of you gloating about how he's the greatest person ever and all that.

No, you don't know anything. A win would have been enough. I said that for awhile. Plus, I'd be more justified in gloating since it would be a huge upset and I got all kinds of sh**t from people like you. We all knew Kennedy would lose for months and the rubbing in when it was evident is really lame.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What would that be...an hour or two?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »

Here's the Governor's race by state house:

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2006, 07:01:06 PM »

[snipped for space]

so it looks like there was a lot of state legislative election action down South.  I'm guessing Democrats lost the two seats because of the retirement/death of dixiecrat dinosaurs.  Why did the GOPers got knocked off in the Las Cruces area?

Yeah, oddly enough the South was the most interesting part of the night.

Your Democratic dixiecrat retirement guess is correct for one seat - NM-54, where Joe Stell retired from the Carlsbad-Artesia-rural seat and a Rep picked it up. Likely to stay Rep.
NM-61, a razor-thin flip, was a bit of a surprise, as Dem Donald Whitaker, easily the most conservative Democrat in the state House, fell in a conservative Hobbs-Lovington-Eunice-Jal seat he had held for some time. I suppose the district caught up with him, or maybe there was a local issue this time (there certainly wasn't a movement toward Reps in general Tongue ). Likely to stay Rep if Whitaker doesn't run again.
NM-37 has been getting closer as Dona Ana's population has grown and the flip to the Dems from retiring Rep William "Ed" Boykin in this Las Cruces district was probably the result of the wave, which seems to have been stronger in Dona Ana this year. Probably going to be close for a while yet, but the Dem should hold it.
NM-53, the fall of Rep Terry Marquardt from his Las Cruces-to-Alamogordo district, is a complete surprise to me. I need to find out what happened down there. Smiley

Hey, matching open-seat flips and matching incumbent-defeats...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2006, 02:37:35 PM »

Here's the MS House of Represenatives.

It's pretty ridiculously gerrymandered Sad

Take a look at Oktibbeha County, where 23, 35, 37, and 38 and wind in a spiral...if that's not an intentional attempt to block out the student vote of MSU, I don't know what is..
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2006, 06:58:46 PM »

Wow. MS 34, 84 and 97 are my favorites, Harry.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2006, 11:27:14 PM »

Take a look at Oktibbeha County, where 23, 35, 37, and 38 and wind in a spiral...if that's not an intentional attempt to block out the student vote of MSU, I don't know what is..
I suspect it it is build up the population count of the districts.  If you made a Starkville-based district, you would have to eliminate one of the other 4 districts which I'm guessing are two black and two white.

They ought to do like New Zealand does.  NZ electorates are based on population.  The NZ census records as well as the NZ voter registry records whether a person or voter is Maori or not.  In addition, a Maori voter may choose to be on the general roll or the Maori roll. 

When electorates are drawn, the population for an area is attributed to Maori seats based on the proportion of the Maori voters who requested to be on the Maori roll.

For example, let's say that an area had 1600 non-Maoris, and 400 Maoris, and 250 Maori voters, with 100 (40%) registering on the Maori roll.  Then 1600 + 400 x 0.60 = 1840 of the population is attributed to the general electoral population, and 400 x 0.40 or 160 of the population is attributed to the Maori electoral population.

The number of South Island general electorates is set at 16, and the quota is determined by dividing the South Island general electorate by 16.  The number of North Island general electorates and Maori electorates is then calculated from this quota.

The general electorates and Maori electorates both cover the entire country and are independent of each other.    One of the Maori electorates (7 total) covers all of South Island and Wellington on North Island.

So in Mississippi, voters could register on the White roll, Black roll, or the general roll.  Depending on how many signed up for each would determine the associated electoral population for each type of district.  The districts could be drawn without consideration of race.  In an area with small concentrations of blacks (in towns for example) you could simply draw a Black district covering the entire area, instead of a districting snaking between the areas to link them.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2006, 03:29:04 PM »

What, you're not going to color-code this for us? Sad
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2006, 01:20:44 AM »

we don't have statewide elections till 2007...maybe I'll do it then for yall
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2006, 07:11:11 PM »

From what I've seen of the map, the districts look very ridiculous, and likely even harder than the CA districts to color and draw.

Well hopefully MS has the districts in a file or image or something so he would only have to color them...

Hop to it. Tongue
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2006, 05:20:28 PM »

Looks like the Dems will come a step closer to taking over the NY State Senate without waiting for the next election. Spitzer has just managed to appoint a Republican state senator from Nassau county to deal w/ homeland security issues in his administration, and the NYTimes says the Dems now have higher registration in the senate district (unsurprizing in Nassau these days), so that without the incumbent they should be favored to take the seat. The Republican 34:28 majority is thus reduced to 33:28 and, quite likely, it will be 33:29 after the special election. Slow attrition, but this may very well make all the difference in 2008. 

At this point, NY State Senate is the "northeasternmost" Republican-controlled legislative chamber (and one of only three anywhere in the Northeast, alongside the DE House and PA Senate), and the last major stronghold of state-level Republicans in NY.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:02 AM »

This Tuesday - PA House showdown - Our Speaker's race will be decided on swearing in day and I'll be up there to witness the events. Control might also flip (102-101 Dem) with a few party switches quite possible. Let's hope for an interesting day. I'll keep everyone posted.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2006, 05:09:31 PM »

Looks like the Dems will come a step closer to taking over the NY State Senate without waiting for the next election. Spitzer has just managed to appoint a Republican state senator from Nassau county to deal w/ homeland security issues in his administration, and the NYTimes says the Dems now have higher registration in the senate district (unsurprizing in Nassau these days), so that without the incumbent they should be favored to take the seat. The Republican 34:28 majority is thus reduced to 33:28 and, quite likely, it will be 33:29 after the special election. Slow attrition, but this may very well make all the difference in 2008. 

At this point, NY State Senate is the "northeasternmost" Republican-controlled legislative chamber (and one of only three anywhere in the Northeast, alongside the DE House and PA Senate), and the last major stronghold of state-level Republicans in NY.

The GOP has a good candidate in Nassau County Clerk Maureen O'Connell so they may keep the seat.  Dems, it looks like, may go with Nassau legislator Craig Johnson.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2006, 06:23:50 PM »

This Tuesday - PA House showdown - Our Speaker's race will be decided on swearing in day and I'll be up there to witness the events. Control might also flip (102-101 Dem) with a few party switches quite possible. Let's hope for an interesting day. I'll keep everyone posted.

Zell Miller Part Deux:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16352325.htm

It's amazing how many assholes we have in our party that will turncoat like Tom Caltagrione.  John Perzel will still be Speaker. Sad
RBH

« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »

You won't do Lott/Fleming by state house district?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2007, 12:56:26 AM »

Zell Miller Part Deux:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16352325.htm

It's amazing how many assholes we have in our party that will turncoat like Tom Caltagrione.  John Perzel will still be Speaker. Sad

I wouldn't be so sure that Perzel will pull through. If anything, I have the feeling that he will lose. Some Republicans are refusing to vote for him so Caltagrione's vote might not even matter.

I hope tomorrow is fun. I'm going to love being in Harrisburg during the drama. I'll keep everyone posted.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies