State Legislative Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislative Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Legislative Elections  (Read 24709 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« on: November 08, 2006, 04:21:02 PM »

Gerrymandering FTW - little change. I think (bloody slow SoS) it turned out dead even. The Reps took House Districts 54 (open) and (in an upset) 61 while the Dems took House Districts 37 (open) and (in even more of an upset) House District 53 (I am so going to have to see how that happened Tongue ) and defended their open seats in Valencia County (Districts 7 and 8 ) which I suspect they would have lost in an election not so overwhelmingly anti-Republican Wink so it was a wash.

If I ever finish my precinct project I'll provide 2004 Presidential Numbers and all that. Tongue
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes here is some information dealing with actual State Legislative Elections. Tongue All data publlicly available somewhere or another, but not assembled of course.

NM Statewide House Districts. All those intense colors are unopposed incumbents. Count 'em up and get depressed at the lack of competition. The four districts with hatches on them were gains from the other party, but as there were two each the overall balance remains.

Inset: Albuquerque Area

Inset: Las Cruces Area

Inset: Santa Fe Area
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:06:51 PM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes

What? And miss all the fun? No way, Jose!

Tongue Fortunately for me no matter how you look at it candidates I supported won somewhere or another. Grin
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 07:01:06 PM »

Ignoring the previous several posts... Roll Eyes here is some information dealing with actual State Legislative Elections. Tongue All data publlicly available somewhere or another, but not assembled of course.

NM Statewide House Districts. All those intense colors are unopposed incumbents. Count 'em up and get depressed at the lack of competition. The four districts with hatches on them were gains from the other party, but as there were two each the overall balance remains.
[snipped for space]

so it looks like there was a lot of state legislative election action down South.  I'm guessing Democrats lost the two seats because of the retirement/death of dixiecrat dinosaurs.  Why did the GOPers got knocked off in the Las Cruces area?

Yeah, oddly enough the South was the most interesting part of the night.

Your Democratic dixiecrat retirement guess is correct for one seat - NM-54, where Joe Stell retired from the Carlsbad-Artesia-rural seat and a Rep picked it up. Likely to stay Rep.
NM-61, a razor-thin flip, was a bit of a surprise, as Dem Donald Whitaker, easily the most conservative Democrat in the state House, fell in a conservative Hobbs-Lovington-Eunice-Jal seat he had held for some time. I suppose the district caught up with him, or maybe there was a local issue this time (there certainly wasn't a movement toward Reps in general Tongue ). Likely to stay Rep if Whitaker doesn't run again.
NM-37 has been getting closer as Dona Ana's population has grown and the flip to the Dems from retiring Rep William "Ed" Boykin in this Las Cruces district was probably the result of the wave, which seems to have been stronger in Dona Ana this year. Probably going to be close for a while yet, but the Dem should hold it.
NM-53, the fall of Rep Terry Marquardt from his Las Cruces-to-Alamogordo district, is a complete surprise to me. I need to find out what happened down there. Smiley

Hey, matching open-seat flips and matching incumbent-defeats...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 03:29:04 PM »

Here's the MS House of Represenatives.

It's pretty ridiculously gerrymandered Sad

What, you're not going to color-code this for us? Sad
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 07:11:11 PM »

Here's the MS House of Represenatives.

It's pretty ridiculously gerrymandered Sad

What, you're not going to color-code this for us? Sad

From what I've seen of the map, the districts look very ridiculous, and likely even harder than the CA districts to color and draw.

Well hopefully MS has the districts in a file or image or something so he would only have to color them...

we don't have statewide elections till 2007...maybe I'll do it then for yall
Hop to it. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies