Shockers of the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:08:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Shockers of the election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Shockers of the election?  (Read 9034 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:03 AM »

Margin of victories for many many races.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 11:44:30 AM »

Patrick Murphy winning, but Lois losing.

Lois is over,yet, but I thought Fitz ran a much better campaign.  Hart in PA-4 was greater.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »

It might have something to do with the gerrymander; the Ohio Republicans got it "just right", unlike the PA Republicans who were too greedy (and who have just paid for their greed).

I think it has much more to do with the fact that the Ohio GOP machinery is still very strongly in place at the lower levels of (State legislature races), which have the greatest impact on House races, imho.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »

Patrick Murphy winning, but Lois losing.

Lois is over,yet, but I thought Fitz ran a much better campaign.  Hart in PA-4 was greater.
I started to get uneasy on monday when I read an article in the Bucks County Courier Times that interviewed people about fitz...

One theme kinda got me...

"He's been good on local issues, but I don't like how the country is going in Iraq."

George W. Bush helped Patrick Murphy. He nationalized the race (among so many others) on an issue that frankly, no one trusts him on.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »

Wulsin nearly took down Schmidt, but just missed out. Sad

The Cincinnati suburbs are ruled by a bunch of right-wing thugs. They wouldn't know an honest election if it bit them in the face.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 02:34:03 PM »

I was surprised to see only one OH district change hands.  I thought Deborah Pryce was a goner, but she managed to pull through.  Wulsin nearly took down Schmidt, but just missed out. Sad

I assume you noticed that Schmidt performed much better in the rural counties who were so against her when she faced Hackett and yet she performed much worse in her home of Hamilton County than before.  I suspect that this means she is will become more entrenched in her CD and not less, unfortunately.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 02:37:18 PM »

Possibly. On the other hand, it might simply show that farmers and other rural constituents who were willing to vote for the maverick, "aw shucks" Hackett were less willing to vote for the somewhat sleeker and more citified Wulsin. Wulsin did close the gap further than Hackett ever did, and she was not by any means an amazing candidate. Not weak, but not strong.
okstate

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 02:41:18 PM »

I'm most surprised by the switch in NY-19, I think.

I figured if Sue Kelly lost, Kuhl, Walsh, and Reynolds all would, too. She was the 6th-most vulnerable NY GOPer in my book.

The Leach loss is a surprise. Shea-Porter's win is also up there.

Beyond that, I'm a bit surprised that Ford, Jr. got as close as he did in TN. I figured Corker would win by about 8... guess I trusted M-D polling too much there Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »

And, of course, Klobuchar slaughtering Kennedy.

This last was a bloodbath. Kennedy couldn't even break 40 percent... ouch.

Scott. Roseau. Faribault. McLeod. Martin. Brown.

Wow. Wow. Wow.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »

One other thing, which I mentioned on another thread, if Wilson survives, I'm going to offer WMS a drink to toast the victory.  After calling her "dead" this morning, saying she was a good GOP Rep. who lost to a totally inferior opponent, if she manages to pull it out, this will make my election.

While I am still awaiting the final numbers...if Wilson wins, I have my Tequila of Happiness ready, Sam. Grin Trust me, once this is official (not certain but...the remaining areas appear to favor Wilson) I am going to be one happy camper, for the reasons you stated above.

And I am so going to make a short rant when that happens. Cheesy Because Wilson deserved the seat so much more than Madrid did.

Wilson and Partick Lyons (R - Commissioner of Public Lands) are the only two races in NM that were at all in doubt, and Lyons already won his for certain...TAKE THAT, JIM BACA! Grin *does the happy dance*
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »

I guess that the Dems only won 1 seat in Ohio. Central and Western Ohio must be ridiculously gerrymandered. For me the biggest disappointment of the election was that jean schmidt didn't lose her seat.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »

I guess that the Dems only won 1 seat in Ohio. Central and Western Ohio must be ridiculously gerrymandered. For me the biggest disappointment of the election was that jean schmidt didn't lose her seat.

But just think: We get to be entertained by her crazy behavior for another 2 years.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 03:59:22 PM »

MN-01.

Seriously... wtf?!?!
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »

It seems that John Hall ran one of the best campaigns in recent memory...or Sue Kelly was just that overrated.

Other than that...NH-01, of course, Burns coming as close as he did in MT in the wee hours last night, and (pleasantly) Shays holding on CT.

NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »

One other thing, which I mentioned on another thread, if Wilson survives, I'm going to offer WMS a drink to toast the victory.  After calling her "dead" this morning, saying she was a good GOP Rep. who lost to a totally inferior opponent, if she manages to pull it out, this will make my election.

While I am still awaiting the final numbers...if Wilson wins, I have my Tequila of Happiness ready, Sam. Grin Trust me, once this is official (not certain but...the remaining areas appear to favor Wilson) I am going to be one happy camper, for the reasons you stated above.

And I am so going to make a short rant when that happens. Cheesy Because Wilson deserved the seat so much more than Madrid did.

Wilson and Partick Lyons (R - Commissioner of Public Lands) are the only two races in NM that were at all in doubt, and Lyons already won his for certain...TAKE THAT, JIM BACA! Grin *does the happy dance*

Jim Baca lost for Land Commissioner?? In a Democratic year? WTF WMS?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 06:07:40 PM »

Yes, he did.  New Mexico can be an odd state at times.  Tongue 

52.5% to 47.5% at last count.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 06:08:56 PM »

Baca is still remembered for his term as Mayor of Albuquerque. Not remembered fondly at all. Grin

The entire Albuquerque Metropolitian Area basically sank Baca...and I am *dying* to eventually see the West Side precincts. Cheesy
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »

Baca is still remembered for his term as Mayor of Albuquerque. Not remembered fondly at all. Grin

The entire Albuquerque Metropolitian Area basically sank Baca...and I am *dying* to eventually see the West Side precincts. Cheesy

Oh I remember Jim Baca. I lived in ABQ while he was mayor. I remember his fetish for baseball and how he wanted a downtown stadium to replace the Albuquerque Sports Stadium. I was a HUGE Dukes fan at the time but I didn't like the idea of night games in the neighborhood he had in mind!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »

Oh I remember Jim Baca. I lived in ABQ while he was mayor. I remember his fetish for baseball and how he wanted a downtown stadium to replace the Albuquerque Sports Stadium. I was a HUGE Dukes fan at the time but I didn't like the idea of night games in the neighborhood he had in mind!

Baca was all about downtown and had a nasty streak towards the West Side. Angry The West Side has been paying him and his ideological heirs back this entire decade. Wink And I'm certain we just did so again. Cheesy

Heh, I remember the Baseball Election in ABQ - a special election just to approve funding for a "refurbished not new" stadium...with, like, maybe one stone left from the original structure. Grin
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »

I think it's both. When I woke up and found out that Gerlach won, I realized that he is unbeatable. I was in shock.

I thought this before and you eluded to it.  PA 6 is just too divided and there aren't many undecideds.  You either have the Main Line limo-liberals and the countryside out in Berks County.  I think there, unlike PA 8, it's pretty clear cut and dry who will vote for who.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »

We went with an inspiring "everyman candidate" (as the Wall Street Journal called him) over the boring, stuffed suit career politician. Smiley

Seriously though, this race had been on the radar though, hardly a surprise. But one sight and sound to behold was the crowd at the DFL victory party when the race was called for Walz. I actually lost my voice last night from screaming so much. Walz's victory speech was great too.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »

All of Gutknecht's fighting to stay on the ballot after he refused to follow the proper procedures didn't help him any, did it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 09:56:37 PM »

Ciro's margin in TX-23.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 09:59:25 PM »

Don't count your chickens before all of San Antonio...err, hatches.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 10:00:02 PM »

Don't count your chickens before all of San Antonio...err, hatches.

I'm sure the margin could tighten, but it's over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies