Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 02:34:40 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Shockers of the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Shockers of the election?  (Read 6055 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:25:37 am »
Ignore

Winning NH-01 and IA-02 wasn't expected.
Casey winning by 18 points wasn't expected.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:29:12 am »
Ignore

Bredesen winning every single county in TN

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:29:31 am »
Ignore

A lot this election.  Once the results are more final, I'll point out the ones that surprised me the most.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:30:41 am »
Ignore

Casey's margin was surprising... it was closer in TN that many folks might have though (though i wasnt surprised... anoyed though Wink ).

Overall though the big shocks where in the house, where a number of big names fell to the Dems.

.Britain’s Mayor.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:34:44 am »
Ignore

A lot this election.  Once the results are more final, I'll point out the ones that surprised me the most.

Something I noticed is that the Republicans were, generally, better at holding affluent suburban districts (or mixed districts with an affluent suburban presence) than other sorts of seat.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:02 am »
Ignore

Something I noticed is that the Republicans were, generally, better at holding affluent suburban districts (or mixed districts with an affluent suburban presence) than other sorts of seat.

NY-19 being an exception, I presume.  But I see your point.

Like I said earlier, the wave hit in odd places.  IN, NH and PA were decimated (with Gerlach oddly standing throughout), OH and NY were left relatively unscathed. (NY-19 being the exception)  IA, WI were hit badly and so was MN-01, but Pawlenty looks likely to survive.  Shays was left standing, Johnson was taken down, Simmons is really unknown right now.

One other thing, which I mentioned on another thread, if Wilson survives, I'm going to offer WMS a drink to toast the victory.  After calling her "dead" this morning, saying she was a good GOP Rep. who lost to a totally inferior opponent, if she manages to pull it out, this will make my election.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 05:53:43 am »
Ignore

Bingaman winning every county in NM. Richardson lost only Catron County by 2 (!!) votes.
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 06:07:27 am »
Ignore

Casey destroying Santorum:

Nelson destroying Ricketts:

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 06:35:24 am »
Ignore

And, of course, Klobuchar slaughtering Kennedy.

This last was a bloodbath. Kennedy couldn't even break 40 percent... ouch.

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
RomneyGekko Situation Hairgel
Flyers2004
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 06:38:42 am »
Ignore

Patrick Murphy winning, but Lois losing.

DOUCHEBAGGERY AT ITS FINEST!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 06:40:36 am »
Ignore

The suburbs always ruin everything.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 06:43:46 am »
Ignore

Gerlach winning, Fitz and Hart losing.  I would never have predicted that, period.  Weldon and Sherwood were already gone.  Go figure.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 09:39:03 am »
Ignore

Casey destroying Santorum:

Though I say it myself, a very nice win for Casey

Nelson destroying Ricketts:

Solid win for Nelson, but, alas, not enough out West for Scott Kleeb. Had the gubernatorial been more competitive, he may have stood a chance but 45% for a Democrat in NE-03 is very respectable. It's a crying shame the district will be represented by a dud Roll Eyes

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
Thanks for all the fish!
Avelaval
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 09:45:41 am »
Ignore

The Star Tribune nailed the MN senate race. That's about the biggest shocker possible.

Signatures suck.
Quadist
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Sao Tome and Principe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 09:50:20 am »
Ignore

For the most part this election was very predictable, so if there is any surprise it is how close the results were to what was predicted. The only other thing that wasn't necessarily expected was how close the Senate would be, but that is really no surprise, either.

Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 09:50:26 am »
Ignore

Okay, something I just noticed... the Libertarian candidate in Indiana actually carried a county, Warren, with 59.8 percent of the vote. This, while getting only 13 percent statewide! I'm guessing it's his home county? He must be very popular locally.

Good show, Osborn. I don't think anyone on Earth predicted that you would win a county.

Joe Republic
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 10:00:55 am »

I was surprised to see only one OH district change hands.  I thought Deborah Pryce was a goner, but she managed to pull through.  Wulsin nearly took down Schmidt, but just missed out. Sad

Real America demands to know.
Raoul Takemoto

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 10:07:34 am »
Ignore

The San Francisco Chronicle is calling McNerney's win in CA-11 over Pombo a shocker.

I'm proud my congressional district stood up to Pombo's corruption. Smiley
nini2287
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 10:33:50 am »
Ignore

I was surprised to see only one OH district change hands.  I thought Deborah Pryce was a goner, but she managed to pull through.  Wulsin nearly took down Schmidt, but just missed out. Sad

I hate to sound a liberal hack, but I wonder if voting machines/stolen election had something to do with that.  The way neighboring (PA, IN) and other midwest (IA, WI, MN) got hit hard by the wave it seems kind of funny that Ohio would remain relatively unscathed.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 10:39:58 am »
Ignore

It might have something to do with the gerrymander; the Ohio Republicans got it "just right", unlike the PA Republicans who were too greedy (and who have just paid for their greed).

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 10:55:52 am »
Ignore

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 10:58:22 am »
Ignore

Is Gerlach bomb-proof or something?

bullmoose88
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 11:01:55 am »
Ignore

Or Lois Murphy isn't as good of a candidate as everyone thinks she is.

A Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative NE Republican with some Left-Libertarian/3rd Way Leanings. Simply, a Rockefeller Republican.

According to one poster, I represent a...

Dying bread of Americans.
Whacker77
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 11:02:49 am »
Ignore

Chris Shays and Deborah Pryce are my shockers.  I thought those two would be sending out resumes today.  If anyone was going to win in Connecticut, I thought it would be Rob Simmons.  He staked his career on the submarine base, saved it, and still lost.

Congratulations to the Democrats.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 11:04:50 am »
Ignore

Or Lois Murphy isn't as good of a candidate as everyone thinks she is.

I think it's both. When I woke up and found out that Gerlach won, I realized that he is unbeatable. I was in shock.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout