Santorum and Allen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:14:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Santorum and Allen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum and Allen  (Read 4400 times)
kashifsakhan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »

How do the results in Pennsylvania and Virginia affect potential Santorum and Allen presidential runs in 2008?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »

I doubt either of these candidates has any future value in a Presidential run.

If I were asked who would be more likely to win elected office again, my vote would go with Santorum, frankly.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:09:04 PM »

Sanotrums political career isn't dead. I do seriously think he would be a good Governor of PA if he were to seek that office.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »

George Allen has been a very dull person in my opinion, and probably wont be doing anything in politics after he loses.

As for Santorum though, I can see the President appointing him to something in the near future.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:17:07 PM »

How do the results in Pennsylvania and Virginia affect potential Santorum and Allen presidential runs in 2008?

They have destroyed them. 
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 06:04:11 PM »

Basically. This election leaves Mitt Romney the prime contender for the conservative vote in the Primaries in 2008.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »

If true the GOP is really in deep do do.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 09:13:44 PM »

Basically. This election leaves Mitt Romney the prime contender for the conservative vote in the Primaries in 2008.

Mitt Romney - the conservative's choice...

That's when you know you're in bad shape. I disagree with the statement. I think McCain is more of a conservative option than Romney.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 09:22:24 PM »

Mitt Romney - the conservative's choice...

That's when you know you're in bad shape. I disagree with the statement. I think McCain is more of a conservative option than Romney.

Probably. It depends upon how conservatives view McCain. Will they still see him as the moderate Maverick who attacked the religious right in 2000 or will they see him as the only standard bearer they have in a race filled with moderates and less ideological candidates.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »

If the farm team is McCain and Romney, the GOP is in great shape.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 03:19:59 AM »

Sanotrums political career isn't dead. I do seriously think he would be a good Governor of PA if he were to seek that office.

he wouldn't have a chance, a beat down this badly he is finished unless he wants to try a house seat down the line somewhere, any Gubneatorial bid he would get his ass kicked again (though maybe not this bad)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »

he wouldn't have a chance, a beat down this badly he is finished unless he wants to try a house seat down the line somewhere, any Gubneatorial bid he would get his ass kicked again (though maybe not this bad)

I know after Schiavo, I'd have a hard time voting for him for a state office, where he could enact end of life legislation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 05:56:38 PM »

Why would he get his ass kicked again? Who are we to say with certainty how a race six years away will end? For all we know, the PA Dems could become the next OH Republicans and blow every election.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »

Rick Santorum as Secretary of Moral Security!
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 10:42:44 PM »

Santorum had no chance of winning pres.

Allen has lost his small chance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 11:31:45 PM »

Rick Santorum as Secretary of Moral Security!

I've always said that they'd need to actually create a position for him.  Wink
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 12:10:41 AM »

Why would he get his ass kicked again? Who are we to say with certainty how a race six years away will end? For all we know, the PA Dems could become the next OH Republicans and blow every election.

Its quite rare that an Incumbent gets his ass kicked statewide and comes back and wins again statewide.  if it was a close election, than maybe, but the voters of PA sent Santorum a clear message.  The message was you suck.  incumbents don't lose that badly and remain relevent.  he is just too conservative for the state and it showed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »

Its quite rare that an Incumbent gets his ass kicked statewide and comes back and wins again statewide.  if it was a close election, than maybe, but the voters of PA sent Santorum a clear message.  The message was you suck.  incumbents don't lose that badly and remain relevent.  he is just too conservative for the state and it showed.

Ok but that message doesn't last forever, Smash. Overall, yes, Santorum was disliked but that ass kicking was mostly centered around one man - President Bush - and he won't be President four years from now. But now that he was destroyed, there is no use arguing with you about why since you'll just claim it was mainly on how he was a far right winger, blah, blah, blah. I just can't waste time on dumbs like yourself anymore, Smash. It's far too time consuming.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 12:54:03 AM »

Ok but that message doesn't last forever, Smash. Overall, yes, Santorum was disliked but that ass kicking was mostly centered around one man - President Bush - and he won't be President four years from now. But now that he was destroyed, there is no use arguing with you about why since you'll just claim it was mainly on how he was a far right winger, blah, blah, blah. I just can't waste time on dumbs like yourself anymore, Smash. It's far too time consuming.

I guess its a bit too simplistic for you to comprehend.  Obviously Santorum being a very close ally with Bush in a state which Bush is strongly disliked hurt him.  Santorum has always been quite conservative, though he has become more conservative over the last few years.  he wasn't always viewed as being in the far right of the party, but now he is, in part due to his close relationship with Bush who is also viewed among the far right.

their is no question Bush hurt Santorum's perfrormance in the race, that is obvious.  But Bush also had a depper effect on Santorum as the voters now see him as being further to the right than they did previously in part because of Bush.  He is simply too conservative for the state.  he won in the past because he wasn't viewed as part of the far right, now he is and thats not going to change.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 10:48:57 AM »

I guess its a bit too simplistic for you to comprehend.  Obviously Santorum being a very close ally with Bush in a state which Bush is strongly disliked hurt him.  Santorum has always been quite conservative, though he has become more conservative over the last few years.  he wasn't always viewed as being in the far right of the party, but now he is, in part due to his close relationship with Bush who is also viewed among the far right.

Actually, he was very much viewed as a far right winger in 1994 and that was a main reason as to why Wofford still had a shot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So he could go from being seen as a standard conservative to a far right winger but can't reverse this over four years. Thanks, Smash.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »

Actually, he was very much viewed as a far right winger in 1994 and that was a main reason as to why Wofford still had a shot.

So he could go from being seen as a standard conservative to a far right winger but can't reverse this over four years. Thanks, Smash.

Let's not overlook the fact that the Democrats put up a candidate with the name ID of his father, a man the state practically reveres as a god.  Plus I appreciate the irony of the Dems having to run a pro-life, pro-gun Democrat against a man they consider to be a socially backwards barbarian. Smiley

Having said that, I think Santorum got too national for Pennsylvania, and they didn't want that. The stories about his residence in Virginia didn't help him.  Casey was a hometown boy, I think they liked that.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 02:41:59 AM »

Its easier to fall into quicksand then get out of it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »

Sorry, Smash, but in politics we need to have a little more meaning behind what we're saying if we want to be taken seriously. I get your point but four years is quite some time to "get out of the quick sand."
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »

Sorry, Smash, but in politics we need to have a little more meaning behind what we're saying if we want to be taken seriously. I get your point but four years is quite some time to "get out of the quick sand."

Its much easier to get into political trouble than get out of political trouble no matter how much time you have, especially when you are someone that is very well known..

In order for Santorum to have any statewide political future he needs to reverse course among moderates.  He has positioned himself in such a hole among moderates that it will be virtually impossible for him to dig himself out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies