What's next for...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:16:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's next for...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's next for...  (Read 3473 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:35:39 PM »

the following '06 losers:

Harold Ford, Jr.
Ned Lamont

George Allen
Rick Santorum
Jim Talent
Lincoln Chafee
Bob Ehrlich
Mark Kennedy
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »

Harold Ford, Jr: He'll spend a year or two "punditing" working with the DNC, the Blue Dogs or a Washington Think Tank and probably getting married (I do wonder if he might have done better had he had a wife and kids).

He’ll then either serve at cabinet level in some administration (either Democrat or Republican) or some other position as a precursor to finally running, and winning, a place in the senate, probably in 2016 (when Alexander probably steps down).   

Rest assured, he’s young, charismatic and moderate and we haven’t seen the last of him Smiley   

Ned Lamont: Back into business, I don’t see much further political involvement from him, perhaps a run for congress, but he’s had his big chance and, frankly, he blew it.

George Allen: Lobbyist no doubt, probably for something like the NRA, he’ll rake in the money and potentially run for Governor again, though there are already a number of republicans who would probably fancy their chances within VA for that post, he too might wind up in an administration or simply working for the RNC.

Rick Santorum: Lobbyist, not hard to say, he will continue to write and will probably continue to grow into an important figure on the socially conservative wing of the GOP, might figure in a future GOP administration, but personally I doubt it, he’ll keep writing and infuriating liberals and delighting conservatives.

Jim Talent: He’ll probably look to make a return, perhaps as Governor, he was always a gifted politician and was undone more by the national mood rather than anything he did.

Lincoln Chafee: In his speech sounded as though he was interested in returning to politics, but in reality the idyllic life of an aging new England Brahmin beckons. 

Bob Ehrlich: No Idea.

Mark Kennedy: No real idea… back to Congress, run for Governor… ran a poor campaign and has no seat in congress anymore… not much in the way of prospects you could say.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »

Ford will probably get a cabinet nomination if the next president is a Dem. I can see him getting elected governor or senator at some point.

Allen and Santroum will have long productive careers as lobbyists.

Lincoln Chaffee will probably live out his days sitting in a liberal think-tank where he'll be the token Republican or on the board of an investment banking firm.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:04:45 PM »

Chafee could run for Governor in 2010 - I can actually see that happening as he remains popular in Rhode Island the gubernatorial office is not as political as a senate seat. 

Santorum sounded like he was already running for president in 2008.  He is certainly telegenic and popular amongst the GOP grassroots so a media career or time as a lobbyist beckons.  Politically though I think he won't make a comeback.

Harold Ford, Jr. is immensely talented.  His narrow loss demonstrates that he has a future in Tennessee politics but perhaps not immediately.  I personally think he should make history as the first African American Attorney General in a Democratic administration. 

Jim Talent could pull a McCaskill and challenge Blunt in the gubernatorial primary in 2008.  He is not an inspiring politician and the people of Missouri have seen rather a lot of him recently, always in close races; losing 49%-48% for Governor in 2000, winning 50%-49% for Senator in 2002 and then losing it again in 2006 49%-47%. 

Ehrlich, Kennedy, Allen and Lamont have no obvious future plans.  Apart from Ehrlich, I can't see any of them making a try for another office again.

Finally, I'm surprised you didn't ask about Michael Steele.  I think the Maryland GOP will want to hold onto him and he'll run again for something in 2010 or 2012.  In the mean time he could be appointed to a post in the Bush administration.
poughies
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 04:09:20 PM »

First thing Ford should do is study for the bar.....
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »

Allen v. Warner in 2009?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:23:03 PM »

rick santorum, george allen and ned lamont are totally done.  i cant see any of them making a political comeback.

the rest on that list could possibly make a return someday.
okstate

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:30:44 PM »

Harold Ford might go back to his House seat eventually. I just can't see him ever winning Governor or Senate in Tennessee.

Lamont has no political future.

Allen will be a consultant or lobbyist or something, but again, probably no political future.

I could see Santorum trying to get back into the House eventually, or challenging Specter in the primary in 2010 (Since Pennsylvanians seem to like that sort of thing)

Talent could definitely run for Governor again at some point, or get a House seat somewhere.

Linc Chafee is not gonna be going back to DC unless he switches parties. I doubt he'll get another office again for a long time.

Ehrlich, probably nothing.

Kennedy, probably nothing. Tarred as a loser now, in a way.
sethm0

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »

Social conservatives unsatisfied with McCain and Guliani will make a move to get Santorum to run for President, but won't get very far. He'll either say no or dip his toe in the water and get nowhere.

Chafee could run for governor or senate again in six years, and have a decent shot in either race. Menawhile he'll probably work on something environmental.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »

The more interesting candidates with futures are those who lost for the House, imho, at least historically.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 04:53:58 PM »

Santorum is up in the air. Allen might run for an open Senate seat in 2008...if it even opens up. Ned Lamont will continue being a nothing. That's all I feel like commenting on.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 04:57:34 PM »

Harold Ford, Jr.
2 years of punditry.  If Lamar Alexander makes a Presidential bid or retires (previously he had vowed to never again run for elected office) then I think Ford could run and win.  Otherwise he returns to the House and attains a Leadership role in the House.

Ned Lamont
Done.  Return to private business.

George Allen
Pretty well done.  Maybe a possibility for a VP consideration in 2008 but I think he'll become a lobbyist.

Rick Santorum
K St lobbyist.  Becomes the Republican Howard Dean (loved within his party) but viewed as a loon by everyone else.  Possibly replacing Ken Mehlman as head of the Republican National Committee.

Jim Talent
Will attempt to make a comeback.  I don't think much of him.  A return to the House.

Lincoln Chafee
He'll be back.  Possibly even in 2008 to run against Jack Reed (but it will depend on the climate around the country).

Bob Ehrlich
Lobbyist.

Mark Kennedy
No idea
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »

Folks, Ford isn't going to get a better chance to win a Senate seat than he did last night.  I guess I could see Governor, but that's about it, unless he wants to return the old House seat.
gorkay

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 05:55:59 PM »

Don't ever write any politician off... after all, Jerry Brown got elected attorney general in California last night.

The only one who seems to have a bright future in politics is Ford. The others will either keep plugging away or fall into one of those ridiculously remunerative jobs that our country seems to think it owes everyone who has ever held public office.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »

I could see Santorum trying to get back into the House eventually, or challenging Specter in the primary in 2010 (Since Pennsylvanians seem to like that sort of thing)

Why? So he can lose the Repubs' other PA senate seat?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 07:28:48 PM »

Harold Ford, Jr.Sad  He can still do something, whether it be return to the house and/or succeed Bredesen and/or Senate sometime next decade, he's not done.
Ned Lamont: Probably nothing, although maybe we could do this again in 2012.

George Allen: Tries to rehab his image and runs for Gov. in 2009  I think Mark Warner will either run for senate in '08 or Gov in '09.  Allen better hope it's the former because Warner would cream him in a statewide race.
Rick Santorum: Slowly rehabilitates his image, becomes a TV personality of some sort until he runs for Governor or Senator in 2010.  Lobbyist or TV/radio guy after that if he fails.
Jim Talent: Tries to succeed Bond eventually
Lincoln Chafee: retires
Bob Ehrlich: Fades into obscurity
Mark Kennedy:  Fades into obscurity
sethm0

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 07:50:56 PM »

Harold Ford, Jr.
2 years of punditry.  If Lamar Alexander makes a Presidential bid or retires (previously he had vowed to never again run for elected office) then I think Ford could run and win.  Otherwise he returns to the House and attains a Leadership role in the House.

Ned Lamont
Done.  Return to private business.

George Allen
Pretty well done.  Maybe a possibility for a VP consideration in 2008 but I think he'll become a lobbyist.

Rick Santorum
K St lobbyist.  Becomes the Republican Howard Dean (loved within his party) but viewed as a loon by everyone else.  Possibly replacing Ken Mehlman as head of the Republican National Committee.

Jim Talent
Will attempt to make a comeback.  I don't think much of him.  A return to the House.

Lincoln Chafee
He'll be back.  Possibly even in 2008 to run against Jack Reed (but it will depend on the climate around the country).

Bob Ehrlich
Lobbyist.

Mark Kennedy
No idea

Chafee could never win against Reed. A Whitehouse rematch is more likely.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:13 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2006, 11:47:09 PM by Senator BRTD »

rick santorum, george allen and ned lamont are totally done.  i cant see any of them making a political comeback.

the rest on that list could possibly make a return someday.

You don't honestly think that the guy who managed to lose Scott, Roseau, Brown, and Sibley counties to a liberal, female Minneapolis attorney is going to make a comeback, do you?

Hell, based on the results, he might've even lost his old congressional district!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 08:17:13 AM »

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/15965265.htm

Friends think that Santorum might look for a seat on the board of a Pennsylvania company or even a seat in the Bush cabinet. He might be intrigued, they say, at the idea of becoming an ambassador, perhaps to Italy, the Vatican or Ireland.

I think that would be very appropriate Smiley but I'd like him to go to Italy.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 09:48:23 AM »

An ambassdor position would certainly be interesting but then you'd kinda need one to come open.  I think the only unoccupied position right now is Montenegro (at least according to the semi-reliable Wikipedia).
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »

Ehrlich's concession speech sounded as if he was hanging it up for good.

Both Ehrlich and Steele are rumored to be headed to Bush's cabinet. 

Steele is also considering a run for RNC chairman.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 10:26:40 AM »

Harold Ford, Jr. - I could see Ford running again in the next senatorial election.

Ned Lamont - He will now fade back into the nothing he was prior to 2006. He was only nominated in protest to Lieberman's position on the war. The truth is, is that just about anyone who disapproved of the War was going to win that primary. Lamont is still nothing more than a joke, and at this rate, I doubt he'll be anything more.

George Allen - I think he is threw. Like Santorum, he will now be infamously tied to that moronic statement. In addition to that, he'll be remembered by Republicans as the guy who had his seat in the bag and ended up screwing it up, costing them the Senate.

Rick Santorum - I honestly don't have much of a clue. Perhaps he'll write for a conservative magazine or be welcomed into some giant conservative think tank. Either way, I think his career in electoral politics may just be finished.

Jim Talent - Again, no clue. Perhaps another shot at Senate next time around when the situation for the GOP isn't so volatile.

Lincoln Chafee - I could see him running for governor, under which party however remains to be seen.

Bob Ehrlich - I don't know enough about him to really say.

Mark Kennedy - Perhaps a run at congress next time. He isn't a fantastic candidate, and probasbly wouldn't be good for much outside of holding a safe Republican district.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »

Harold Ford, Jr. - Mayor of Memphis

Ned Lamont - Might star a PAC or something

George Allen - Try again for Senate or Governor and lose

Rick Santorum - Get a show on FOX

Jim Talent - Rematch McCaskill and lose

Lincoln Chafee - Pull a Weicker

Bob Ehrlich - Fade into obscurity

Mark Kennedy - Be the laughingstock of Minnesota and never hold another political position ever again
okstate

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »

Supposedly the RNC has already offered Mehlman's post to Steele. So if he takes it that's pretty well settled.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 03:33:11 PM »

Supposedly the RNC has already offered Mehlman's post to Steele. So if he takes it that's pretty well settled.

Does that mean that every campaign will be getting homeless guys from Philadelphia bussed in?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies