Weird or interesting county results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:30:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Weird or interesting county results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weird or interesting county results  (Read 2620 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »

Anyone found any "cool" ones yet? Counties that voted very differently than expected? Strongly GOP counties that voted Dem or vice versa? Any other areas of specific interest to you in which you were pleased or displeased with the results?

Personally I'm very happy that all 15 counties of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (where I live) voted for both Granholm and Stabenow. Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »

Bucks County PA narrowly going to Fitzpatrick (where he underperformed in Strong Republican wards, but basically matched murphy in strong [3 to 1 registration] in strong democratic wards in the south) while going for Rendell and Casey big time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 11:41:09 AM »

Bucks County PA narrowly going to Fitzpatrick (where he underperformed in Strong Republican wards, but basically matched murphy in strong [3 to 1 registration] in strong democratic wards in the south) while going for Rendell and Casey big time.

Did the bits of Philiadelphia in the district do him in then?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 11:42:55 AM »

Did the bits of Philiadelphia in the district do him in then?

Not too badly, he lost philadelphia 55-45...(though he won it in 04), the real blow came in Montco where he lost by near 2 to 1...Ironically these additonal democratic leaning precincts were added to make PA 13 more republican (because people thought Jim Greenwood could appeal enough to hold the seat indefinitely)...should be a lesson for greedy gerrymander-ers everywhere.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »

The "T" counties in Pennsylvania. Forest, Warren, Clinton, Elk, and Clearfield all voted for Casey, Elk by over 60%. Very surprising. Add to that the fact that only seven counties voted less than 40% Democrat in the Senate race (compared to 50 in 2004). But yeah, Elk County swinging 20 points to Rendell from 2002 and 27 points to Casey from 2004 was astonishing.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »

http://www.buckscountyelections.org/ElectionSummary.aspx?id=1

You can look around for more detailed results, feel free to ask about individual precincts (I wont tell you which one I voted in of course :-p)

3 County Results
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006//pages/results/states/PA/H/08/county.000.html
RBH

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

Worth County Missouri gave 33% to the Progressive Party in the State Auditor's Race.

Susan Montee (D) - 371 (37%)
Terry Bunker (Prog) - 330 (33%)
Sandra Thomas (R) - 292 (29%)
Charles Baum (LP) - 21 (2%)

Worth County also produced the following results

Jim Talent (R) - 533 (52%)
Claire McCaskill (D) - 414 (41%)
Frank Gilmour (LP) - 42 (4%)
Lydia Lewis (Prog) - 28 (3%)

Aaaaand

Sam Graves (R) - 710 (70%)
Sara Jo Shettles (D) - 275 (27%)
Erik Buck (LP) - 17 (2%)
Shirely Yurkonis (Prog) - 12 (1%)

So what is Terry Bunker's secret to winning in Worth County?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, I can see how he could succeed in an election in Worth County
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 12:26:16 PM »

Casey did amazingly well in central PA. It's fascinating to compare the Senatorial and gubernatorial maps; statewide, Rendell and Casey were nearly at parity, but they got their respective support from very different bases.

Libertarian Steve Osborn carrying a county in Indiana against the Lugar juggernaut (and he got only 13 percent statewide).

McCaskill cut deeply into Talent's rural base, which I was not expecting. It's pretty damn impressive that she got 41 percent in Ozark County, for example. Claire said that her victory was due to her hard work in rural areas, and she wasn't kidding.

Bingamin carrying every county was a shock. Isn't it against the law or something for a candidate to sweep New Mexico? Tongue But he did it, even carrying the Mormons of Catron County (incidentally, the only county to vote against Richardson).

Ben Nelson did much, much better in western Nebraska than I thought he would. He got 41 percent in Arthur County, and I didn't think he would break 30 percent there.

Klobuchar's massive win was a stunner. She actually carried suburban GOP strongholds like Scott County, and lost others only narrowly.

There are others, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
RBH

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »

Yeah, I have a friend who was working for Claire in Springfield.

And I had fun relaying county results to him from SW MO. Especially after seeing that Talent was running 10 points behind Blunt in a lot of those counties.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »

Casey did amazingly well in central PA. It's fascinating to compare the Senatorial and gubernatorial maps; statewide, Rendell and Casey were nearly at parity, but they got their respective support from very different bases.

Libertarian Steve Osborn carrying a county in Indiana against the Lugar juggernaut (and he got only 13 percent statewide).

McCaskill cut deeply into Talent's rural base, which I was not expecting. It's pretty damn impressive that she got 41 percent in Ozark County, for example. Claire said that her victory was due to her hard work in rural areas, and she wasn't kidding.

Bingamin carrying every county was a shock. Isn't it against the law or something for a candidate to sweep New Mexico? Tongue But he did it, even carrying the Mormons of Catron County (incidentally, the only county to vote against Richardson).

Ben Nelson did much, much better in western Nebraska than I thought he would. He got 41 percent in Arthur County, and I didn't think he would break 30 percent there.

Klobuchar's massive win was a stunner. She actually carried suburban GOP strongholds like Scott County, and lost others only narrowly.

Maybe BRTD won't hate Scott quite so much now? Smiley

But yeah, especially impressive since Klobuchar was from Minneapolis and Kennedy from the suburbs. Suburban voters in most metro areas hate politicians from the inner city, and one would've figured these would be Kennedy's strongest areas. Which they were, which of course was his problem. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »

Barlow actually won four counties in KY-1
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 01:10:35 PM »

Osborn carried Warren County by 60%-40%.  What is strange is that Warren is included in IN-8. While John Hostettler was losing 61%-39% to Brad Ellsworth he still carried Warren County by 52%-48%.  So Lugar won 87%-13% and lost Warren County 60%-40%, Hostettler lost 61%-39% and won Warren County 52%-48%.

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/IN/S/01/index.html

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006//pages/results/states/IN/H/08/county.000.html
RBH

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »

And Osborn isn't even from Warren County either.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »

Maybe BRTD won't hate Scott quite so much now? Smiley

But yeah, especially impressive since Klobuchar was from Minneapolis and Kennedy from the suburbs. Suburban voters in most metro areas hate politicians from the inner city, and one would've figured these would be Kennedy's strongest areas. Which they were, which of course was his problem. Smiley

Nah, it just shows that even the most horrible areas still get it right sometimes. Smiley

Actually Kennedy did carry 3 out of Minnesota's 4 awful exurban hells. However two of those (Wright and Sherburne) are in his congressional district, and the other (Carver) basically always votes GOP no matter what.

Some of the other counties she won just stunned me. I mean if you had told me a year ago that a Minneapolis liberal would win Brown, Sibley and Roseau counties and come within 300 votes of winning Otter Tail I'd think you were insane.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 12:55:18 AM »

Look at Swisher County, TX.  Bush took over 70% in 2004 and it was won by Chris Bell this time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 01:29:25 PM »

The Democratic candidate in TN-1 won a single county. That county was Hancock!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »

Klobuchar won Bachmann's old state Senate seat.
RBH

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 02:14:09 PM »

My congrats to Jim Noland, who defeated Ike Skelton in Dade and Barton Counties.

While losing by 39 points (68/29) in the rest of the district.

Skelton broke 80% in Saline county and broke 70% in a lot of the district.

But Ike didn't start representing Barton and Dade Counties until 2003.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 04:36:17 PM »

Cantwell won four counties in Eastern Washington...including Asotin, a 60% Bush county.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »

Hamilton County, OH went for Blackwell and DeWine, after Bush only won it by 5% in 2004.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »

Cantwell won four counties in Eastern Washington...including Asotin, a 60% Bush county.

I thought the Seattle Times had made an error when they showed the map. I really did not expect any counties to be won in Eastern Washington.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »

Look at Swisher County, TX.  Bush took over 70% in 2004 and it was won by Chris Bell this time.
That's cuz Bell ran 2% ahead of Kerry.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 11:02:14 PM »

Hamilton County, OH went for Blackwell and DeWine, after Bush only won it by 5% in 2004.
Hamiliton County typically votes more Republican in statewide races, in fact Blackwell was mayor of Cincinnatti. I'm actually shocked they won it by so little.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies