Democratic success in Congressional districts won by Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:36:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic success in Congressional districts won by Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic success in Congressional districts won by Kerry  (Read 1125 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »

Going in to the election, there were 18 Republicans who represented "Kerry" districts. Of the 18...

Simmons - too close to call
Shays - won
Johnson, CT - lost
Bass - lost
Walsh -won
Gerlach - won narrowly
Weldon, PA - lost
Fitzpatrick - lost
Dent - won
Castle - won
Kirk - won
Wilson - too close to call
Shaw - lost
Nussle - ran for gov., Dems picked up seat
Leach - lost
Beauprez - ran for gov., Dems picked up seat
Reichert - too close to call
Northup - lost

Very impressive, the Dems' success in these districts.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 06:49:39 PM »

This is what happens in a "wave" election.
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »

Going in to the election, there were 18 Republicans who represented "Kerry" districts. Of the 18...

Dent - won

What district is that?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 06:56:19 PM »

Overall, a terrible election for moderate Republicans. The average Republican in Congress is even crazier than they were before.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »

Overall, a terrible election for moderate Republicans. The average Republican in Congress is even crazier than they were before.

Remember that the loon fringe of the GOP suffered losses too. And they still have Snowe, Specter, Smith et al
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:59:29 PM »

Dent - won

What district is that?

PA-15.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »

Remember that the loon fringe of the GOP suffered losses too. And they still have Snowe, Specter, Smith et al

Some of those weren't up for election this year. Republicans for Choice PAC went from 14 members to 6.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »

Which should've been competitive if the Democrats had managed to field a competent candidate. Put this one on the list for 2008.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »

Dent - won

What district is that?

PA-15.
Lehigh Valley (Northampton [Easton], Lehigh [Allentown, Bethlehem], and Northern Montgomery Counties)

I think its bad for the GOP and for the country that its tent got a little smaller. Its shame the Dems couldn't get their seats from elsewhere, but hey, thats tough luck for me.

As for PA 08...Murphy won by only 1000 votes or so...this is one of the seats that may be a bellweather for 2008...(depending on Murphy's own performance and the GOP candidate)

Which should've been competitive if the Democrats had managed to field a competent candidate. Put this one on the list for 2008.

Its an interesting district Jake, I spent a significant portion of the last 4 years there and its weird to see how its changed. That district used to be a district set up for a Labor/Al type democrat...and its moved to the right (as an exurb)...dunno how long before it turns into a PA08/13 type district, but I don't know if the dems could have won it...they would have needed a stellar candidate, which they don't have up there.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 07:17:39 PM »

I don't think it was that impressive a showing for the D-trip. Wilson and Shays would have been felled if it had been a "wave.' I agree with Amy Walter that it was more like a tornado. The GOP got flattened in Iowa, Pennsylvania (except Jim "Goner" Gerlach) and New Hampshire. They survived in Ohio largely unscathed despite massive scandal problems.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 07:21:15 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2006, 07:26:20 PM by jfern »

I don't think it was that impressive a showing for the D-trip. Wilson and Shays would have been felled if it had been a "wave.' I agree with Amy Walter that it was more like a tornado. The GOP got flattened in Iowa, Pennsylvania (except Jim "Goner" Gerlach) and New Hampshire. They survived in Ohio largely unscathed despite massive scandal problems.

No, it's a wave. We won more House seats than the Republicans did in 1994.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »

Ohio had to do with the inner strength of the Republican party machine there.  They are still not to be underestimated, even after this brutal year.

Wilson and Shays are fighters to the core, just ruthless campaigners.  Those type of people are very hard to beat.  It helped Wilson that she had a crappy opponent, but the statewide mood in New Mexico was about as bad for the GOP as it's ever going to get.  Shays probably benefitted from the up-ticket candidates.  If Weichert survives, it'll be because of the crappiness of his opponent also.  He's a tough campaigner too.

I too am convinced that Gerlach's opponent was not top-notch either.

Castle and Dent had no opponents.  Kirk didn't win by very much this year.

We'll see what happens to Simmons; that CD has a long history of close elections and switching parties.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2006, 08:29:04 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Ohio had to do with the inner strength of the Republican party machine there.  They are still not to be underestimated, even after this brutal year.

Wilson and Shays are fighters to the core, just ruthless campaigners.  Those type of people are very hard to beat.  It helped Wilson that she had a crappy opponent, but the statewide mood in New Mexico was about as bad for the GOP as it's ever going to get.  Shays probably benefitted from the up-ticket candidates.  If Weichert survives, it'll be because of the crappiness of his opponent also.  He's a tough campaigner too.

We'll see what happens to Simmons; that CD has a long history of close elections and switching parties.

What about "crappy" Dave Loebsack? John Yarmuth is no Jack Conway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 08:22:53 PM »

More interesting is the Democratic success in districts won by Bush...
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »

Yes, at least 19 pick-ups, meaning that at least 61 Democrats will represent Bush districts.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 08:35:18 PM »

Yes, at least 19 pick-ups, meaning that at least 61 Democrats will represent Bush districts.

Could be dangerous if the democrats have a bad 2 years in the majority, but they should be okay.
RBH

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 08:36:22 PM »

Castle had his worst showing since 1992, and he might be due to retire by 2008.

Dent's opponent was a guy who had to get on the ballot by being a write-in candidate in the primary. And Dent won 54/41.

Dent is ripe for 2008 as well.

The main victim of the 2006 election is the Mainstream Republican politician.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »

What about "crappy" Dave Loebsack? John Yarmuth is no Jack Conway.

If you had pushed me five days into saying which GOP seat off the radar was the most vulnerable in a wave, I would have responded IA-02 in a New York minute.  Northup was always extremely vulnerable to waves for obvious reasons and she ran a very weak campaign (surprisingly) for her historically.  Maybe she's interested in challenging Fletcher for Gov. next  year, who knows.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies