Bad News for Democrats: Susan Collins will break her promise
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bad News for Democrats: Susan Collins will break her promise
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad News for Democrats: Susan Collins will break her promise  (Read 1727 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:10:57 PM »

Susan Collins pledged to only serve two terms in the Senate, but has already said she will break that promise and run again in 2008.

Rumors are that uber-popular congressman Tom Allen of ME-02 will challenge her, but it will still be an uphill battle.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »

Lesson one:  When any candidate pledges to serve for a limited number of terms, about 3 out of 4 times they decide to break that promise.

Exhibit A: George Nethercutt defeated then-Speaker of the House Tom Foley on a term limits platform.  Nethercutt then broke his promise of serving a limited number of terms himself. 
Conan
conan

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »

Any news articles or links?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »

I read on Daily Kos that some paper in Maine reported it last weekend. I don't doubt that it's true.
Rococo4

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:27:50 PM »

If so, that would be a major break for Republicans.  Major.
Conan
conan

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 05:29:38 PM »

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/180005-3/MaineNews/Collins_to_seek_3rd_term/

Damn. But I think Allen can really get this to become competitive. We cant hand the republicans a dem seat in 2008.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »

Anyone who sets term limits for themselves is a liar.  But at least this will probably be one less seat the Republicans will have to worry about two years from now.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »

Given that Collins is one of the most moderate Republicans in Congress, I'm not too worried about this.

Although, given the track record from 2006, that could be her political death sentence unless she joins the Democrats quick... Tongue
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »

I'm interested that some people think it could be close.  Collins is immensely popular in Maine, in lockstep with her colleague Olympia Snowe who was just re-elected 74%-21%.  Of course if Allen challenged her the race would be closer but I still think Collins would be favoured.  In 2002 she won 58%-42%. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »

I think Tom Allen this that this is his only shot, as he is fairly old and doesn't want to wait any longer.

I think it's possible that he could win, Collins is not as powerful or entrenched as Olympia Snowe.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 06:57:21 PM »

Her personal popularity seems equivalent to Snowe's but her electoral success isn't as great.  Allen will be 63 in 2008 so this is probably his last chance; it being a presidential year this would also be a boon for Democrats. 
Deano963

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 07:03:11 PM »

Lesson one:  When any candidate pledges to serve for a limited number of terms, about 3 out of 4 times they decide to break that promise.

Exhibit A: George Nethercutt defeated then-Speaker of the House Tom Foley on a term limits platform.  Nethercutt then broke his promise of serving a limited number of terms himself. 

Lieberman also did the exact same thing.

I honestly think that term limit promises are just plain stupid. I don't know why politicians feel the need to make them and the vast majority of the time they end up breaking them, making themselves seem dishonest
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »

I don't know why politicians feel the need to make them and the vast majority of the time they end up breaking them, making themselves seem dishonest

It's the same reason any politician does something during a campaign: to get votes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 07:52:39 PM »

Collins has had approval ratings in the low 70s in basically every SUSA monthly survey and is right there with Obama and Snowe as the most popular senators in the country.  We can't beat her.  Although it'd be nice to get rid of her just like we disposed of several getaway car drivers in 2006.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies