Next US Senator from Massachusetts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Next US Senator from Massachusetts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Barney Frank

Marty Meehan

Ed Markey

Joe Kennedy

Others

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Next US Senator from Massachusetts  (Read 1001 times)
sethm0

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:51:54 PM »

Say Kennedy retires in six years. Or dies in office and Deval Patrick appoints a replacement. Or Kerry is elected President (yeah, right). Who will the next US Senator from Mass be?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »

It could be anyone.  It seems that every Democrat in the Massachusetts Congressional Delagation wants to be a Senator; they were almost all gearing up to run for Kerry's seat if he was elected President.  In all likelihood Kennedy will live to be re-elected in 2012 and possibly 2018 and Kerry won't retire in 2008.  He will fail to get the Democrat presidential nomination and run again. He might choose to retire in 2014 but if that happens a lot of them will be too old to run. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:50:12 PM »

i think it is likely that kerry retires in 2008.

if that happens the race in the democrat primary will be between markey and meehan.  i dont think frank will be a big factor.  he is a big joke.

im hoping john tierney wins the democrat nomination.  that would leave an open seat in ma-06 for kerry healey.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »

if that happens the race in the democrat primary will be between markey and meehan.  i dont think frank will be a big factor.  he is a big joke.

im hoping john tierney wins the democrat nomination.  that would leave an open seat in ma-06 for kerry healey.

Your racist Republican isn't going to win a MA congressional seat.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 03:12:30 PM »

how is she racist?

because she ran against a black democrat?  i guess she should have known.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 03:13:23 PM »

Michael Dukakis
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »

how is she racist?

because she ran against a black democrat?  i guess she should have known.

Because of her racist Willie Horton like ad.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 03:56:37 PM »

Either Ed Markey or Marty Meehan, probably Ed Markey.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 04:07:19 PM »

Kerry and Kennedy might still be in there another couple of terms each.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 04:24:41 PM »

Even though she lost that district and every other one to Patrick.
sethm0

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »

People really think Kennedy has two more terms in him? He'll be 80 by the time this new one is up and he's not exactly a picture of perfect health, though I guess his mother lived to be over 100.

Meehan may be the strongest candidate on paper, but something tells me not to rule out Frank or Joe Kennedy. Frank may appeal to enough liberals to win in a primary, and there may be enough Kennedy sentiment for Joe to win, though I'm less sure about that. Joe essentially lost to Stephen Lynch in a primary after Joe Mokaley died.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »

People really think Kennedy has two more terms in him? He'll be 80 by the time this new one is up and he's not exactly a picture of perfect health, though I guess his mother lived to be over 100.

Meehan may be the strongest candidate on paper, but something tells me not to rule out Frank or Joe Kennedy. Frank may appeal to enough liberals to win in a primary, and there may be enough Kennedy sentiment for Joe to win, though I'm less sure about that. Joe essentially lost to Stephen Lynch in a primary after Joe Mokaley died.

Barney Frank is likely going to want to stay put in the House of Representatives because he's now a chairman of a comittee and a senate run for him would certainly not be a sure thing.

I expect Meehan to run.  He doesnt have much seniority in the House and has quite a war chest.  However, I don't think he'd win a primary.  I think that either the Attorney General or some prominant progressive woman (perhaps from the state senate) would have a good shot in a primary, particularly if it is crowded with moderate Irishmen.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 09:21:04 PM »

Barney Frank is likely going to want to stay put in the House of Representatives because he's now a chairman of a comittee and a senate run for him would certainly not be a sure thing.

I expect Meehan to run.  He doesnt have much seniority in the House and has quite a war chest.  However, I don't think he'd win a primary.  I think that either the Attorney General or some prominant progressive woman (perhaps from the state senate) would have a good shot in a primary, particularly if it is crowded with moderate Irishmen.

i dont think martha coakley has any (current) interest in the us senate.

her ideal plans are to serve two terms as AG and run for governor in 2014.

i like coakley a lot, by the way and i voted for her for AG.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »

i dont think martha coakley has any (current) interest in the us senate.

her ideal plans are to serve two terms as AG and run for governor in 2014.

i like coakley a lot, by the way and i voted for her for AG.

Alright, I'll take your word on it... perhaps Patrick will run for senate if a seat opens up soon...  I still think a liberal woman candidate would do well in a primary with multiple men...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies