Excellent article on racism and double standards (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Excellent article on racism and double standards (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Excellent article on racism and double standards  (Read 9511 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: January 24, 2007, 02:07:02 AM »

I think the real long-term answer is to dissolve the whole idea of minority status, at least for people who are currently viewed that way.

Every group who comes to this country starts out as a 'minority.'  And every group save one has eventually joined the majority, or is in the process of doing so.

We need to get rid of the idea that there are any permanent minorities in this country.  Everybody should have at least the potential or promise to become part of the majority, and not be viewed any differently than anybody else.

I realize this is a lot easier said than done.  But I often think that when you compare many of our current policies on race with the ones we had in the segregation era, they're really just the flip sides of the same coin.

We need to find a new paradigm through which to deal with this issue, since what we've been doing clearly isn't working.

Well, I really think the general point goes beyond race to include lots of other kinds of relationships between the powerful vs. weak.

I agree with you on race, although social self segregation is pretty strong. In America, all 'minority' groups should emulate Jews, pretty much.

But Affirmative action is a whole different issue (corporations and the government like it, while most idealists dislike it). I don't really support it, but I see why it continues to survive (and it's not because of liberals).

Our Democratic party always gets perceived as the party that favors AA, yet I talk to so many Dems who oppose it even some Ward leaders and Committeepeople (both Philly terms).  Funny I even talk to some blacks who don't like it because it basically tells them they're inferior.  You can take Coretta Scott King's words regarding blacks who want segregation and AA could very well be interpreted as such. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies