Yankee Republicans on last legs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 07:18:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yankee Republicans on last legs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Yankee Republicans on last legs  (Read 9515 times)
nlm
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:47:57 AM »

By MICHELLE R. SMITH, Associated Press Writer
Mon Nov 13, 7:08 AM ET

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The classic New England Republican — fiscally conservative, socially liberal — is nearly extinct following a long and quiet decline that began more then a decade ago when the GOP nationally began its move to the right.

It is a political breed generations old.

The Democratic tidal wave in Tuesday's elections claimed several victims in seats that had long been in Republican hands. Scholars say the losses may be the death knell for the traditional "rock-ribbed" New England Republican.

more at .......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061113/ap_on_el_ge/yankee_republicans

This is the part of the last election that worries me most. The moderate Republican has been on the outs for a decade or more and now the bell is tolling for them it would seem (though they are not quite dead yet).

Going into the election, I knew (or at least believed) the only way to get a moderate GOP back was for them to be roundly defeated. That has happened. Now the question is WHEN do we get a more moderate GOP - now that a large chunk of moderate members of the GOP have been defeated. It will be the GOP political leadership that gets to make that call, and if they fail to do so qiuckly it will be at great risk to themselves. I don't have a feeling as of yet if the GOP will recoil into its southern base and try and manufacture something out of that or if they will attempt to charge for the middle ground.

I sure hope they don't end up as a regional party for the next dozen years (though if they recoil into their southern base - they will deserve it), the American people need actual choices on election day.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and if any 3rd parties can capitalize on any of the manuevering (regardless of which way they go) the GOP does. Staying the course will cost them more seats outside of the south while moderating will cost them support among the base they have spent quite a few years pandering to - but moderating will rebuild a lot of bridges that have been burned and, in my mind at least, is the only positive direction open to them at the moment.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:50:26 AM »

There is a difference between a NE Republican and a Moderate Republican.  Anyway, this is a non-issue.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:15:13 AM »

Could you please give some reasons for this claim?

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »

Easy.  No one votes on the issues any more.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »

Why would you say the GOP majorities were tossed by the voters? I would say displeasure over Iraq and the economy are the main causes. Would this not be voting on the issues?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »

Why would you say the GOP majorities were tossed by the voters? I would say displeasure over Iraq and the economy are the main causes. Would this not be voting on the issues?

Not really.  I think that was more based on feelings or a single issue, and not on all the issues.  If our society actually voted on issues, not only would our state political allignments change, but the party structure themselves would change.  A survey was done a month or so ago polling people on idividual issues to see where they would naturally allign in the political spectrum, and over 40% of the respondents in that poll were more libertarian than democratic or republican (I'll see if I can find the poll/thread again).  The 2004 Presidential election was a good example of that, since the Kerry platform was more of "I'm not Bush" rather than "vote for me, because I believe this this and this."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »

There is a difference between a NE Republican and a Moderate Republican.  Anyway, this is a non-issue.

It's a big issue for the GOP if they want to get Congress back. There are only so many Southern seats. There are a few more seats down here like TN-4 and TN-6 that the GOP can get once the incumbants retire, but they'll need Northern suburbs if they want to get out of the wilderness.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:48:21 PM »

Us Democrats in New Hampshire did our job this past election!!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:48:13 PM »

Us Democrats in New Hampshire did our job this past election!!

<---Boos in your general direction
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »

It's a big issue for the GOP if they want to get Congress back. There are only so many Southern seats. There are a few more seats down here like TN-4 and TN-6 that the GOP can get once the incumbants retire, but they'll need Northern suburbs if they want to get out of the wilderness.

Nah, there will always be bad candidates to run against, meaning districts will ebb and flow on each election.  Hopefully, people will wise up though and start demanding quality candidates, hopefully meaning the third-party and independent candidates will start coming in demand.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 05:57:46 PM »

I'd love to see Yankee Republicans and Conservative Southern Democrats in power again.  I'd gladly trade them New England if we could take control of Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Deep South again.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 06:09:53 PM »

Conservative Southern Democrats in power again.

Yes I'd love to see racism and populism back in the Congress again. Wouldn't that be swell? Wink
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 06:24:27 PM »

That's what hurts the most about Tuesday night.  I knew we were going to lose the House and so be it.  But to lose Nancy Johnson, Rob Simmons, our two guys in New Hampshire, and moderate seats in New York was truly a thorn in the heart of those of us who are moderate Republicans.

I fear for the future for our Party.  I am optimistic and hopeful, but it will take a lot of hard work to make people realize that the Republican Party is a political organization and not the right hand of God.  When people refuse to listen to facts and reason, and refuse to accept that public opinion might have a role to play in public discourse, then we will fail in our mission to provide good governance and make our country a better place for our posterity.

I'd love to see Yankee Republicans and Conservative Southern Democrats in power again.  I'd gladly trade them New England if we could take control of Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Deep South again.

Take Tennessee out of that (and yall can keep Rhode Island) and I accept your offer Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 06:35:52 PM »

...and refuse to accept that public opinion might have a role to play in public discourse,

So says the guy that would defends the President 100% of the time.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »

the republican party has basically ceased to exist in massachusetts.

the 2007 massachusetts legislature will feature 5 republicans (out of 40) in the state senate and 19 republicans out of 160 in the state house.

ouch.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 08:13:42 PM »

the 2007 massachusetts legislature will feature 5 republicans (out of 40) in the state senate and 19 republicans out of 160 in the state house.

ouch.

Holy Christ, that is terrible.  I was pretty surprised to see half of the House seats go unopposed this year, but I didn't realize things were that bad.

Are there any major offices left in MA that aren't held by Democrats?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 08:20:46 PM »

ouch.

I think it's kind of the Massachusetts dems to lend 1/8th of their seats to such a trifling minor party. The Libertarians should only be so lucky ...

Louisiana (by way of comparison with another strongly Democratic state) has Republicans occupying about 38% of the seats in both the 105-member House and 39-member Senate. Sadly, that represents a far greater proportion than what existed even ten years ago.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:35:54 PM »

We're trying to do the same thing here in New Hampshire.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »

Well, they've still got Sununu and Gregg in the Senate seats, so you guys need to work on them first.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »

Well, they've still got Sununu and Gregg in the Senate seats, so you guys need to work on them first.

Yeah, we need to get to work on Sununu.

I think there's a decent chance that Gregg will retire in 2010 if Republicans are in the minority.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 09:56:07 PM »

One party rule=Terrific!!!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 09:59:11 PM »

Works for me.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 10:05:56 PM »

Fantastic
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »

Just hope the state economy doesn't go south or anything like that and you end up having to defend the Democrats over that.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 10:26:33 PM »

Just hope the state economy doesn't go south or anything like that and you end up having to defend the Democrats over that.

At some point the Democrats might actually have to come up with... a plan!!!  *gasp*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies